SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

autozone Flexible LEDs in Gauge Cluster!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-12, 06:55 AM
Axmily
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default autozone Flexible LEDs in Gauge Cluster!

Hey guys seen a couple guys do this so i figured id give it a shot. turned out pretty good. Its a very easy mod all you have to do is be very careful removing the the circut boards. i paid 29.99 for a 36in strip of led's i also put 2 small 4in strips on the foot wells. looks good il post better pictures up in a few! And since im doing a 5 speed swap in my SC400 i removed all the bulbs from the PRND21 and PWR and O/D and put black Electrical tape behind them and you cant even tell they were there!

i used white LED's

2jzforlife did this on his and i used his pictures as reference. THANKS For posting these!
Originally Posted by 2jzforlife
Soldered in some blue led strips because i hated the spot lights from regular smd leds

Last edited by Axmily; 03-19-12 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-19-12, 07:59 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

I love it, diy!!
Old 03-19-12, 08:35 AM
Axmily
Lead Lap

you know as i was taking this out last night i tottally thought about making a DIY its so EASY
Old 03-19-12, 08:41 AM
Axmily
Lead Lap

edited the top with pics by 2jzforlife that i used for reference.
Old 03-19-12, 09:22 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Good lord man, why didn't you just stick a flashlight on one single corner of it and be done. LOL inconsistent much?

I'll give you the same "good try bro" I give everyone that makes an effort to diy, but wow man that pretty bad LOL. The temp gauge isn't even lit at ALL, like most of the cluster. On a good note the 120/140/ and 4 should be quite visible.

Keep working on it. You'll get it, but not likely with these lights. Too spotty.
Old 03-19-12, 09:27 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Good effort. Sure beats a gauge cluster with missing lights.
I tried the same thing, then went back to the stock lights cause I Couldn't get it to light up evenly with the LED strip, but man was it bright.
Old 03-19-12, 09:53 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pretty good. i was gonna do this. but it was cheaper to get 10 LED bulbs from ebay. I too was worried about the temp and fuel guage not getting adequate lighting.
Old 03-19-12, 11:40 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm with OLT on this one, I can appreciate the effort but it's very spotty.
Old 03-19-12, 02:25 PM
Axmily
Lead Lap

Thanks for the update guys. its a cheap fix for guys that have problems with there clusters not working but like you guys said it is spotty but 4 30 bucks its a cheap mod dresses up the interior alot.
Thanks again!
Old 03-19-12, 02:26 PM
Axmily
Lead Lap

il take a picture with an actual camera too my camera phone sucks!
Old 03-19-12, 02:56 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Good lord man, why didn't you just stick a flashlight on one single corner of it and be done. LOL inconsistent much?

I'll give you the same "good try bro" I give everyone that makes an effort to diy, but wow man that pretty bad LOL. The temp gauge isn't even lit at ALL, like most of the cluster. On a good note the 120/140/ and 4 should be quite visible.

Keep working on it. You'll get it, but not likely with these lights. Too spotty.
Agreed as well.

A lot of people here lately have been using "it's cheap!" as justification for a crappy mod.
If it looked awesome and it only cost $30, then I'd be impressed....But if it comes out crappy, it's crappy. So realistically you actually just have crappy for $30.

Nice try, but it's not a good job. Keep trying until you get it right.
Old 03-19-12, 03:25 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Here is my positive outlook on this. I like it because you can see the cluster fine. If you don't have the money to spend on having it fixed or the know how to place all the LED's where they should go. Then this option seems great to me. I know its spotty but it still looks better than most clusters I have seen. My cluster is terrible and is blinking. I don't know what I will do with it but, to be so negative to someone on the forum is not constructive at all. How about giving him some tips to make it look less spotty with what he has put together. Just saying what I feel and thats my 2 cents on the subject. Everyone has an opinion though sooooooo. It's whatever!

I think it looks great and I bet with some different placement it could look even better. Taking more time to adjust it could make it not look as spotty.
Old 03-19-12, 03:34 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4urxtc
If you don't have the money to spend on having it fixed or the know how...
...again, "cheap" isn't justification for something turning out not as good as it could be.

to be so negative to someone on the forum is not constructive at all.
Not being negative, just stating my opinion. Just because someone does something and not everyone likes it, does that mean that those who do not like it are negative? Use some bondo and mold antlers on your side mirrors, then paint it all brown to blend in. I'll tell you "A+ for effort, but it's pretty ugly dude." Am I being negative?

How about giving him some tips to make it look less spotty with what he has put together.
I for one, did say "Nice try, but it's not a good job. Keep trying until you get it right." didn't I?

Everyone has an opinion though sooooooo...
...sooooo yeah, it's apparent that the $30 gets you uneven spotty gauge lighting. But if the OP really wanted it to look good, they would try something else, and keep trying until the job is done right. There's where the effort comes in
Old 03-19-12, 03:37 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by raine
...again, "cheap" isn't justification for something turning out not as good as it could be.

Not being negative, just stating my opinion. Just because someone does something and not everyone likes it, does that mean that those who do not like it are negative? Use some bondo and mold antlers on your side mirrors, then paint it all brown to blend in. I'll tell you "A+ for effort, but it's pretty ugly dude." Am I being negative?

I for one, did say "Nice try, but it's not a good job. Keep trying until you get it right." didn't I?

...sooooo yeah, it's apparent that the $30 gets you uneven spotty gauge lighting. But if the OP really wanted it to look good, they would try something else, and keep trying until the job is done right. There's where the effort comes in
I like you! You are always willing to speak your mind. Anyway, Yeah I agree with what you are saying. If it's crap to begin with then it's crap at the end. So more effort different methods and you may get a better result.
Old 03-19-12, 03:43 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

So more effort different methods and you may get a better result.
There you go.

I can be a little harsh sometimes, but it separates the men who drive SC's from the little boys who got their mom to buy them a 15-20 year old used luxury coupe so they can be ghetto fab LOL J/K

Quick Reply: autozone Flexible LEDs in Gauge Cluster!