SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Will a CF hood ever be made for the SC

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-02, 08:17 PM
AzLex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a CF hood ever be made for the SC

It seems like every few weeks we see another thread about a CF hood. The problem is nothing ever comes about of it. Why is one never made, there seems to be enough people that want one. Anyways that just me little rant.

-Steve
Wants a CF hood
Old 10-29-02, 12:17 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a number of factors, here are a few...

CF comes in a certain width material, and the SC hood is wider and longer than this. Not too big of a deal you can do a pretty clean splice without problems, but yes that is a pain in the rear for sure to do a splice.

There are people on here that will say all day long that they want one, but I have yet to see anyone step up and flash some cash...it's always all talk and no action. To produce the hood(s) there would need to be a certain number produced to offset the production cost.

The hood on this model is not as "friendly" to a CF setup, it has stiff gas shocks, and just the way it fits to the fenders makes it difficult to make one that has an OEM-type fit and finish. I've seen a few pictures of CF hoods on SC's, but every one was wavy and didn't fit right and had uneven gaps.

We made one here as a one-off piece, it was pretty nice but for how much time it took, it definitely wasn't worth the effort. This one fit very nicely, but again, to make a nice hood takes a LOT of detail work and finishing/fitting work. Something most companies aren't willing to do. They just want to slam them out as fast as possible and sell as many as possible. The other half of the companies aren't even capable of building a quality hood in the first place.

This is definitely a case of you will get what you pay for...and boy will you have to pay for it!!!

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering LLC
www.tmengineering.net
Old 10-29-02, 12:26 AM
Lvangundy

Hey Todd! (Lee w/ LS)

What about doing a cut and replace on the stock SC hood. This sounds like something only for very serious people, but woudln't it work?

A large area of the hood could be cut out and replaced with a CF section.

Last edited by Lvangundy; 10-29-02 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-29-02, 11:44 PM
AzLex
Lead Lap

I sure the hood would cost alot to make. But most real aftermarket hood cost alot (1K+).

-Steve
Old 10-29-02, 11:58 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

I know a company that makes a CF hood for the SC, but I'm still getting specifics.
Old 10-30-02, 11:39 AM
AzLex
Lead Lap

Send me a pm when you get the specifics

-Steve
Old 10-30-02, 11:51 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by TurboB6
I know a company that makes a CF hood for the SC, but I'm still getting specifics.
Please POST a reply when/if you get specifics. There are a lot of people who claim to be interested, but never seem to be there when it comes to showing the money. If you could provide info about a company already producing them, at least the few of us who are serious would have a chance at getting one.
Old 10-30-02, 03:25 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We already have everything needed to do additional hoods, so I guess I'll try this one more time...

How much roughly are you people willing to pay for the hood, and who is ready to commit 100%.

(Last time not one person said they'd do it when it came down to a bottom line like this...let's try to see if this is worth doing.)

Don't think naming a price is going to make the price any higher or lower, I'm just seeing if anyone is even in the neighborhood as far as pricing. You definitely aren't going to get anything for like 500 bucks for a hood of this type.
Old 10-30-02, 03:55 PM
AzLex
Lead Lap

I am ready to buy one. Post some pics of how the one you make looks. Also could you pm me with a rough idea of the price?

-Steve

Last edited by AzLex; 10-30-02 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-30-02, 04:19 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

if the price was right i'd be able to get one..but i really don't wanna spend alot of money (i understand the costs.. but still)

J
Old 10-30-02, 05:24 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DoubleWhoosh
We already have everything needed to do additional hoods, so I guess I'll try this one more time...

How much roughly are you people willing to pay for the hood, and who is ready to commit 100%.

(Last time not one person said they'd do it when it came down to a bottom line like this...let's try to see if this is worth doing.)

Don't think naming a price is going to make the price any higher or lower, I'm just seeing if anyone is even in the neighborhood as far as pricing. You definitely aren't going to get anything for like 500 bucks for a hood of this type.
You haven't given any real detail about your hoods, so it's hard to say what I'd be willing to pay.

For a premium hood with with a center Veilside vent, rolled edges, CF reinforcing, hinge points, front latch, holes drilled for the windshield washers, and a good UV coating, I'd probably be willing to go in the $700-$800 range. But it would have to be a PREMIUM hood, no waves, rough edges, or funky alignment.

I wouldn't be interested in an OEM style hood

Please post some pics (preferably on a car), and give us some more detail (weight, warranty, shipping costs, availability, etc).

Thanks
Old 11-01-02, 05:16 AM
Iron Chef
Pole Position

I would definetly be interested in a cf hood. If someone has one please PM me or e-mail me. I need one ASAP considering my whole front end is gone...
Old 11-01-02, 09:59 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand that there is not enough demand to mass produce anything for the SC4's. If someone does make them its priced very high.
The problem is that, We the consumers have to take a risk of having something made before being able to see the final product.
There aren't too many companies willing to take a leap and make good products at good prices (I'm not asking for CF hood for 200 bucks).
I remember somone saying "Build them... and they will come"
My props to those companies who have taken the leap and produced products for the SC4's.
This is the same thing with the dashboard fix. We can get an OEM dash for 500 bucks and the new ones that just came out from lexusdash are 500 bucks(rough est). The reason why people haven't fixed their dash needles is because its not really worth paying 500 bucks for dash needles.
Companies out there who want to make a CF hood have the resources right here to make one that will satisfy most people who want one. It should be the manufacturer who should take the risk of making a product. Thats what businesses are about no?
Until a fabricator or manufacturer decides to jump in a make a hood first it will be very difficult for the CF hoods to come to fruition.

just my $10.02

Last edited by VSsc400; 11-01-02 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-01-02, 10:55 AM
XTC
Driver

You guys should see the thread i posted yesterday afternoon about having a guy willing to do CF or FG hoods and trunks.

I unlike others, do not know anything and do not want to be incharge... but i asked if anyone who does know anything would like to speak with the guy directly.

I have had NO response as of yet.

I guess this is a rant... cause i see that this is the 2nd biggest topic on the forum and no one even asks me questions when i find a guy, not some big chopshop that wants to make zillions, who seems to know what had to be done and within 5 minutes of looking at my hood knew about every concern you guys post about being a concern but had options for making it work.

I am willing to give you this guys phone number, he is expecting a call, so you can see what he thinks and maybe get this done and have a future with CF in it. Or maybe it wont work and he cant do anything, but isnt it at least worth some telephone time??

I really dont care as i dont want anything like these... but once in awhile i try to help out when i see the oppurtunity.

J

Oh yeah... BTW.... he isnt ONLY willing to do this if you have a certain amount of orders already...

Last edited by XTC; 11-01-02 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-05-02, 11:15 PM
Iron Chef
Pole Position

Originally posted by wmulli

You haven't given any real detail about your hoods, so it's hard to say what I'd be willing to pay.

For a premium hood with with a center Veilside vent, rolled edges, CF reinforcing, hinge points, front latch, holes drilled for the windshield washers, and a good UV coating, I'd probably be willing to go in the $700-$800 range. But it would have to be a PREMIUM hood, no waves, rough edges, or funky alignment.

I wouldn't be interested in an OEM style hood

Please post some pics (preferably on a car), and give us some more detail (weight, warranty, shipping costs, availability, etc).

Thanks
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=63296

Quick Reply: Will a CF hood ever be made for the SC