SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tow hooks with a bodykit

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-12, 09:13 PM
biturbo632
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Durrby
Maybe it's different down here in FL but you see them a lot on every cookie cutter civic, integra etc that you know NEVER has/will see the track.

And in my opinion I see tow hooks as "my car is so unreliable, I never know when i'll need a tow" vs just being used as a precautionary measure.

I like the OP's car and complemented it but before this gets out of hand lets get back on topic.
You're opinion is good, I understand it! But when you are dropped, with a front lip or body kit, and you're car stalled because of a mecanical faillure, and towing guy says "man, if I use your stock mounthing point tow hook to put your car on the truck, I'll brake you lip for sure (or bumper for other).

That happened to me, and I do go to track days!

So tow hook, I think it is possible to find a way to have it and make it look good!
Old 05-26-12, 09:27 PM
biturbo632
Pole Position

By the way, I've said I would find a way to put my tow hook on, so.. I found it and it's finished!

Thanks to an old picture of autoboy's car for the idea. I LOVE it. Btw his car is awesome!

And here is mine!

And for the "I don't like the look of it but I need one!", just have to solder it a little less then half an inch outside the car, or in my case, put a little spacer, and this kind of tow hook can be remove/install like you want too!

But this way the bumper block it so it can turn! That's what I want so.
Old 05-28-12, 04:55 PM
menty
Lead Lap

Do you have a guide as to how you installed it? I run my fmic brackets off that location so I'm not sure if mine is doable

Did you have to remove the front bumper ?
Old 05-30-12, 08:37 PM
biturbo632
Pole Position

Originally Posted by menty
Do you have a guide as to how you installed it? I run my fmic brackets off that location so I'm not sure if mine is doable

Did you have to remove the front bumper ?
yes I have all the pictures of how to do it. I dunno if you want me to post them here. You have to be manual, because it need a braket to fit a took hook in there, and yes you need to remove the front bumper.. the first time is always the longest one, but still.. my bumper now hold in place with less bolts/plastic retainer loll!!

If you have a drill, mesuring tape, and a grinder with a cuting wheel, you can make it.
Old 05-31-12, 03:33 AM
GamblerZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not install a receiver piece that allows you to screw in the hook like the GT-R, 350Z and 370Z?
Old 05-31-12, 08:27 PM
biturbo632
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GamblerZ
Why not install a receiver piece that allows you to screw in the hook like the GT-R, 350Z and 370Z?
That's what I've done. But in my case, I cannot remove and install it easily, but it can't be made.. If you want to remove and install it when you want, you got to extend the bracket from and extra half inch to get the tow hook outside the bumper.

Btw update! My car stop by itself today.. and my friend towed me to his house (like 400ft away).. Work fine! The only thing was when we enter his driveway, when my car was being tow like at a 45 degre angle.. the braket as bent a very little bit to the left (as we turn left lol). So I'll add a reinforcement bar and solder it to the plate for that to not happen another time! Either then this, work very well!
Old 06-01-12, 03:37 AM
menty
Lead Lap

Pictures would be great!
Old 06-01-12, 07:35 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

here are mine, the rear pokes through the hole where the plate goes on the kit, front just comes out the side. i went with straps as If my bumper gets ripped out I dont want them to do more damage.

ill get better pictures and with the bumper on.
Old 06-01-12, 09:21 AM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

fabricate a new bracket like i will be doing. i have a huge trans oil cooler on the passenger side so it makes it impossible to run a fmic with the tow hook in the way. may fabricate a new towhook that shoots down and bends at a 90 deg angle to clear the fmic and still keep a low profile right under the bumper. or just cut the old mounting points and run 1/2'' solid steel tubing welded onto the old chopped up towing points
Old 06-01-12, 08:51 PM
biturbo632
Pole Position

Go on my built thread here, I showed how I made mine.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post7271006
Old 06-03-12, 05:22 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

****ty pictures but you can see them there.
Old 06-03-12, 05:45 AM
menty
Lead Lap

Tow strap below rear plate looks great.
How did you mount it on? If you tow it wouldnt the whole bar come off? (Im guessing its supported by the reinforcement bar)

Same for the front. Where's it mounted to? Did you make up a bracket?

Edit: just saw your pictures. If you did end up towing from the front, wouldnt it cause too much force on the front bumper tied up that way?
Old 06-04-12, 03:25 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Biggus car looks good
Old 06-10-12, 03:06 AM
denman
Driver School Candidate

Default tow hooks

Just a thought, had a similiar problem couple of years back, a mate of mine is a steel fabricator, and he made up a bracket that bolted to the existing tow hooks, the front lip didn't allow any towing, so the bracket extended below the lip, and also stopped the problem of the high angled strap doing any damage, like if your tow vehicle is a 4x4 and the tow bar is alot higher, the extension could be bolted on & off in a couple of minutes, Mike
Old 04-29-13, 01:48 PM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bump. which brands are you guys using?

Quick Reply: Tow hooks with a bodykit