SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 SC 300 <--- noob

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 01:51 AM
K20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC 300 <--- noob

Thanks for reading this and giving any input you have, I have no clue about SC's except what I have read in the past 2 hours I come from the Honda scene so ask me about d-b-k-f-j series I'm good to go, but when I get in to these engine codes that start with #'s I'm a little lost. I was actually in the market for the past 2 weeks for a s2000 but I keep seeing these come up but they were already molested until I found this... I will get more info on it tomorrow

1992 Lexus SC300, asking $2,100 or best offer.
Clean title "runs and drives like a dream" "no problems"
stock 2jzge, has new OEM water pump with o rings and gaskets, gates racing timing belt, OEM timing tensor, and idling pulley, radiator fan, new spark plugs, full tune up etc.
Black with tan leather interior (interior very clean except driver seat has two rips)
everything works power windows, power locks, sunroof, a/c,etc.. body is in good condition.
The reason I'm selling it is because it only had minor problems that were easy fixes and i own a turbo Lexus is300 that i recently blew the motor and i was just going to fix everything on the SC300 and put all my turbo parts from my IS to the SC and drift it.
"BUT" the investment/modifications to do this turned out to be way more then expected
and I've already invested $700 plus into it and just want my money back.

My questions... Good DD? hows the aftermarket support on these cars? I like my vehicles to move some, I just read you can do a single turbo bolt on to a stock GE and make 500hp?? where the hell have I been at during this... I dunno all the sites to check on but so far what I have found, stuff seems to be at a decent price.

Also are these expensive cars to keep? I ask this question from some of the forum threads I have read about how most people have spent 5-8 times more than the car is worth. I really don't want to get in to a $15k project that just sits in my driveway, I'm looking for a daily but i also like to tinker and the S2000 isn't a great car for that its pretty much good to go unless you want to slam it to the ground . Last question, would I be able to do the work on the car with just some minor research and a manual?

Sorry for all the questions I know it's annoying for a new guy to come in and ask dumb questions "how much does it cost to swap a B series?"gtfo Here's a pic of that car too, thanks.

92 SC 300  &lt;--- noob-55.jpg
I just realized this, the guy looks like he is pressure washing that ****
Old 04-10-12, 02:20 PM
K20
Driver School Candidate

Bump it up
Old 04-10-12, 04:02 PM
dtLS400
Driver

nice pick up, i too am new to the SC scene, although ive had my ls400 for a couple of years now not new to the older gen lexus scene. i just picked up an sc300 with about 190,xxx for a little more than your asking price but i am in California. i have the exact same questions as you do as far as is it worth keeping for a dd. i just had to have the 5 speed in a lexus for some reason. i was looking at solora's and said F it and just get the sc with RWD!!
Old 04-10-12, 05:19 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

It really depends how much you want to spend on the car. It's pretty nice to have, but it isn't gonna be pretty on gas. Mine gets 15MPG (The last time I checked) and anything other than 91 won't make the car run smoothly. I am proud to own one, it's just that I have a long way to go. Like most Japanese cars the wheel bolt pattern is 5x114.3, so you shouldn't have trouble finding wheels that fit (Unless they're BBS, but you could get converters for those). There are plenty of DIY's on here, the thread that compiles them is stickied too. If you don't see what you're looking for then just try an advanced search.

Most SC guys have the goal to lower the car and get some quality rims, get a 97+ body kit (to replace the pre 97 SC's if that's what they have), and/or get an engine swap (1JZ is probably the most popular and is often turbo-ed too). If this is what your goal is, then it wouldn't matter what SC you have or what year it is.
Old 04-10-12, 05:22 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

It's always better to find a 98+ SC because those are usually perfectly fine and you won't have much to fix. If you settle for these pre 97 SC's, chances are they're in fixable, but bad shape. It's your choice if you wanna fix it up to stock clean when you could save up more for a better SC that's in the condition you could just jump into modding without worrying about the current maintenance
Old 04-10-12, 05:24 PM
rhubarb999
Rookie

My 93 5 speed is my daily driver. I get about 21MPG around town if I keep my foot out of it. Very reliable, easy to work on, and great support on this forum.
Old 04-10-12, 05:37 PM
jdmkiddd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASTERiSK
It's always better to find a 98+ SC because those are usually perfectly fine and you won't have much to fix. If you settle for these pre 97 SC's, chances are they're in fixable, but bad shape. It's your choice if you wanna fix it up to stock clean when you could save up more for a better SC that's in the condition you could just jump into modding without worrying about the current maintenance
this is probably the best advice ive EVER heard.. you never want to buy a car that you have to dump money into just to bring it back to normal standards.. its better to take your time and get something that your fully comfortable buying.. i just bought my 95 sc3 about 2 and a half weeks ago im proud to say that i own one now, however theres little things that i wish would have been up to par. anywhoo the best way to tell if a car is worth it or not is to see it personally.. and ill tell you if its COMPLETELY stock no mods what so ever they ride very smooth and are very quiet ..im pretty sure you know the main things to look for in a car .. a friend of mine stopped by once and told me to turn on the car .. i replied " its already on." lol again they are pretty quiet when running right
Old 04-10-12, 05:39 PM
jdmkiddd
Driver School Candidate

oh and they are pretty easy to work on .. and if your confident with your work you should have no problems however if your not best to take it to the pros
Old 04-10-12, 05:43 PM
shboni
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either which way it goes ur going to be spending.....If u find a busted up one then ur Paying maintaince to being it up to par....if ur thinking about modding it ur paying for upgraded parts and maintaince Which is goin to run u some serious paper....mine sits on my driveway until I get all the parts needed for my swap, good thing I have a DD.
Don't expect to hav this car and not pay more for maintaince/mods then wat u bought the car for.... Good luck with ur choice
Where in FL u stay?
Old 04-10-12, 07:53 PM
K20
Driver School Candidate

Well the one I was looking at, the seller has "tuned" it up so to speak and he claims it drives like a dream, haven't went to check it out yet I guess I would then know more. Minus the aftermarket parts that I would of course add ( I thought some BBS' or CCW' would look bad *** on these cars), I was reading about the overall cost of the cars on a certain thread but no one really elaborated on it, did they mean these things are usually downed as in repairing things because there is a new problem every week or were they just talking about aftermarket parts? If its aftermarket that's not a huge concern of mine really, I just don't like to come out to drive my car and it doesn't randomly start every week, kept reading threads with problems on a fuel pump ECU?? lol I dunno what that even is, I only have ever messed with one single ECU. I'm basically in the mindset of a DD project, maybe be down on some random weekends to do any mods that's about it. I was also used to running 93 on my car but it got about 25MPG, dunno about this 15MPG thing lol. I will look for some 98+ but so far all the ones I found have been modded
Old 04-10-12, 07:57 PM
K20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shboni
Where in FL u stay?
I live in Orlando, never actually seen any crazy SC's here
Old 04-10-12, 08:04 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

An ECU is pretty much your car's computer, it's the car's intelligence. I'm sure there are older SC's than mine that get great MPG, it's just that my car came from Massachusetts to California and it wasn't really taken care of. The 98+ SC's come with a VVTi motor that's overall faster and more fuel efficient, also you get the cool gated shifter that the GS's have 8).
My checklist for my car is:
[X] Megan EZ Street Coilovers - $630
[] Work wheels (Not telling which wheel yet, trying to stay original :3) $,1750-$2,500
[X] 5Zigen Fireball Mega Exhausts - $630 (Luxury Mods has it for like $820)
[] Shine Auto Project Body Kit - $1,200
[] Paint job $2,000-$3,000 (Hope I don't really have to pay that much, but I do want a quality job.)
Old 04-12-12, 02:14 PM
BlakOnBlak
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shboni
Either which way it goes ur going to be spending.....If u find a busted up one then ur Paying maintaince to being it up to par....if ur thinking about modding it ur paying for upgraded parts and maintaince Which is goin to run u some serious paper....mine sits on my driveway until I get all the parts needed for my swap, good thing I have a DD.
Don't expect to hav this car and not pay more for maintaince/mods then wat u bought the car for.... Good luck with ur choice
Where in FL u stay?
This is so freakin true! I bought mine for 5 stacks with the 1jzgte swap (stock twins) and now Im itching to mod-out. I "need" an exhaust, body kit, paint job etc... just to name a few. I might need a new coil pack, but stilln not sure. Car runs smooth just missing a lil power when I karate kick the gas pedal. I plan on coming out the pocket for this car. The end result will be satisfying