SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The Taka Ueno Effect

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 08:09 PM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed that a fair number of the folks that drive the SCs are in a similar boat as those who drive the M3's from the same era. Some of them loved the cars when they were new, and always wanted to have one of their own.

Some of them just wanted first time transportation. Some want to gut them and go the 240 route.

Personally, I've seen so many old raggedy M3's from that era that are held together by tape and a prayer that it no longer fazes me. I've noticed that current owners bemoan the low value of the cars due to seeing so many of the SCs looking terrible- the least pricier Supra (at the time) holding higher value, and such.

As far as an effect goes, I think we're smack in the middle of a surplus of these cars. It should be interesting to see what the deal is in ten years time, when the majority of these cars have achieved "classic" status. I plan
on keeping mine as long as I can, since I think it's timeless style and solid build make it a future collectible.
Old 04-23-12, 04:39 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,247 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by brerrabbit
As far as an effect goes, I think we're smack in the middle of a surplus of these cars. It should be interesting to see what the deal is in ten years time, when the majority of these cars have achieved "classic" status. I plan
on keeping mine as long as I can, since I think it's timeless style and solid build make it a future collectible.
^^ This, because SC's are actually worth their salt as muscle cars when properly built but it remains to be seen if this will ever happen or if a movie immortalizes the original SC to jump start popularity. The biggest problem I see is the interior parts going into short supply with no reproductions in sight.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-23-12 at 04:42 AM.
Old 04-23-12, 08:00 AM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by brerrabbit
I think we're smack in the middle of a surplus of these cars.
If you had said this a year ago, I would agree with you. But, if you've noticed, there just aren't that many SCs on the used car market anymore. Not that many good and cheap project cars anyway.
Old 04-23-12, 07:12 PM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Mike, great point. What I meant to say is that we've reached a point where you can still find more of these cars on the road than some other models (I compare it to the Porsche 928 - truly a beautiful car, IMO and a great collectible - but how often do you see one on the road?)

As far as projects go, what I've noticed about these is that they tend to command higher prices- but the projects tend to end up looking terrible for a time until completed (I know, that's how it goes) if even at all. And I have no room to complain, since doing so would have made me a hypocrite 5 years ago - 1992 Garnet red SC3 beater. It's a wonder that I ever bought another one with the issues of my first one.

But there was a reason that sold me on the SC300 versus the 300ZX. I've seen way too many 300Zs on the road (in varying states of disrepair) and this is a car that screams "Hey do me F&F style!" Not really a problem with that, but that part of my life got stolen over a decade ago and I'm getting to old to repeat it. It's a well made and increasingly rarer car that will do great with time.

Kahn, I feel your concern on the interior parts. I'm definitely trying to keep my car looking nice and being careful, since I've seen firsthand what happens when the parts become virtually non-existent. We'll hit a point where you can no longer find them as easier in the junkyard, and that's when I think they'll be truly collectible.

Off topic, but I met a friend today for lunch and took some pics outside a Chinese restaurant while waiting. A dude in a G35 sedan (nice cars, but WAY overproduced) rolled by and asked me if I was taking pics to sell it or just because. I told him just because, and he smiled and admitted that he'd had to sell his 5sp DWP a few years before. We talked for about ten minutes until my friend showed up.

That's what I love about these cars- they're special to those who know what they are, and an enigma to those who don't.
Old 04-23-12, 11:59 PM
scshinobi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

super bad ugly? I hate cut springs......

Originally Posted by Kohinoor
i dont want to live on this planet anymore
YOLO

OLT couldnt have said it better "Posing is not the reality of your vehicle, it is a state of mind. The reality of your vehicle is the result of your state of mind."

I cant tell you one mod i love or my favorite mod to my car, its come together to make one big piece.... perspective or perception? to each their own i guess someone may like being so low it makes the car handle like **** but looks good while another can efficiency corner balance and fine tune for twisties the live for

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
im waiting for drift tax to hit our cars so they will be worth hella more LOL
i said this might happen, or so i thought it would happen and i was laughed at for my thoughts.... SMH.
The way i see it you never really know what the previous owner did to the car and in addition to the title it can influence my purchase. The more these cars are thrown around to different owners the more this sluzzy effect comes in? whateyyyvvvaaaaa Just do you
Old 04-24-12, 06:28 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kohinoor
i dont want to live on this planet anymore
Kohinoor, ROFL! . I could not have said it better...these type of threads are truly unbelievable...I will say no more...

Originally Posted by ZachTriggs
Like Jadu said SCs are getting handed down, as was mine. At first I just wanted to put some wheels on it and have a cool sound system. As I learned more about the car and the possibilities that come with it it lead me to want to much more with mine. In my case, swap to 1j/r154 and begin to slide it.

Some people just can't wait to have their cars "look cool" and think cutting springs, painting stock wheels, and all that is doing it. In most cases they will soon realize they look like idiots and upgrade to something better.

Taka Ueno 2001 styling is what I'm going for eventually.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10_DE...68ALT4ZqJwARAA
Nice vid of the BadAssery of the SC when properly modded for drifting...

Originally Posted by HiPSI
This! Beat up 240's go for crazy $$ compared to clean sc300's, it's nuts what they can still get for their cars.

I REALLY wanted an MKIV supra but at this point in my life could not justify 30k on a clean example of one and then try to mod it, plus I don't have a garage to keep it pristine in yet.

After years of trying to avoid the mod bug I found a clean 5spd sc300 locally with really low miles. I had never been much of a 2jz guy or soarer fan before, I just wanted to build something different with alot of potential to go fast. Started researching how power capable the NA-T platform was even though it has it's downsides and I made the guy an offer! Initially I wasn't a huge fan of the car I'm not going to lie, it was big, bulky feeling, and felt "old man ish".

I loved the way it drove though, it was a solid cruiser and it was very refined feeling compared to the other cars I had owned. I researched a coilover setup and decide on BC Racing per alot of happy customers here.

The car still needed something, well obviously the wheels just weren't going to cut it at this point. I wanted to put some nicer wheels on the car but didn't want to take away from the luxurious look the car had. After searching for what I wanted aftermarket wise, I landed on just sticking with some OEM supra polished TT wheels. I immediately fell in love with this car with only 2 mods and was dying to put some power behind it and crush some domestic dreams.

Now I'm knee deep in the NA-T setup, sourcing the odds and ends to complete my 6spd swap, and hoping to be making 600+ soon with a huge smile on my face .

Just sharing how I got into the sc300 world, I'm personally not into the drift scene but I can certainly respect it and would love to do it sometime with a properly setup car.
Very nice job of patiently modding your SC...You should be proud of your ride, my SC Brotha! Tastefully done. Took out some of your pics just to keep from having to scroll so much.....

Originally Posted by Mike552
If you had said this a year ago, I would agree with you. But, if you've noticed, there just aren't that many SCs on the used car market anymore. Not that many good and cheap project cars anyway.
I can go weeks sometimes and not see one SC on the road...Now that I am driving mine again, and since I have not badged it yet, I frequently get stopped and asked what is my car...I also get nothing but compliments on it...While that s not my reason for modding my SC, it sure is a nice feeling to receive the props from people, of all ages.

YOUR SC IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT

SC400TT

Last edited by SC400TT; 04-24-12 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-25-12, 10:19 AM
BigWaveSC
Lead Lap

I blame Ueno for the last 7 years and loss of funds I have dumped into my car, and I dont think I would do it any different.

I think I first saw his car in the one and only issue of drifting magazine back in 2004 and a few months later I bought mine, it was a great alternative to the overdone 240's. I think the cost of drifting is to blame, if youre not committed to doing it right with style any car will look like crap, not just SC's.

plus everyone is different in what they think is cool.
Old 04-25-12, 03:15 PM
speed6
Lead Lap

I got my sc with the sole intent of drifting it. Since i couldn't afford a supra, the sc was a better choice. i'd perfer my 1jz sc300 to a supra any day, i love the way it sits. I got my SC and sold my 94 acura legend 2 dr 6 speed and never looked back.
Old 04-25-12, 03:44 PM
afro88
Driver School Candidate

I've been to Japan and this void between the "restorers" and the drifters doesn't really exist there. They all like the car and respect eachothers reasons. Like others have said, an ugly car is an ugly car regardless of it's intended purpose.

I thought SC's looked cool before I got into drifting back in 2003, liked other cars too and thought that the SC was just too expensive of a car to justify drifting it (was still in High school). Went through tons of drift cars, loved all of them, but the SC is something else, it just feels incredible to drift when properly set up.

I drift and it's my passion through and through which is why I'm kind of offended when people on this site assume all drifters gut, spray paint, and cut their springs on their car. My car may not look pristine all of the time but that's what happens when you drive them hard, but I do take pride in the way my car looks and I actually think having nice interior is something to be proud of on a drift car. When I damage my cars I actually plan to fix them.

I never plan on going pro with drifting or taking competition that seriously, so maintaining a "street feel" is extremely important to me. Similar to Taka Ueno's car back in 2001. Before jumping to conclusions on drifters based on what you see high school poser kids roll around in, get to know someone who is actually active in the scene and knows what they're talking about (not just directed at the OP but at anyone it applies to).
Old 04-25-12, 04:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by afro88
I never plan on going pro with drifting or taking competition that seriously, so maintaining a "street feel" is extremely important to me. Similar to Taka Ueno's car back in 2001. Before jumping to conclusions on drifters based on what you see high school poser kids roll around in, get to know someone who is actually active in the scene and knows what they're talking about (not just directed at the OP but at anyone it applies to).
Doesn't appear you know what the thread is about. There is absolutely no relation to car with a "street feel" and someone who is the same person who would drive a lambo kit car on a fiero stock chassis and engine. In fact though the majority of persons kinda seem to have got the point, many have still missed it.

Thanks for the discussion. That's about all.