Help with a buy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-12, 01:30 PM
DFC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by scoobySC3
Yeah pics would be super helpful. And in regards to the tan interior, that can easily be fixed with some SEM paint, and carpets can be dyed with RIT dye.

Check out this thread for pics on how easily the interior can be restored and on the cheap. Just need some time, and elbow grease

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...n-of-pics.html

Let us know if you have any questions. And when looking at any car it is always best to be patient and wait for the right one to come across. I only slightly regret my buy, but I knew I wanted a factory 5-speed, OBD-1(pre 1996), and a straight chassis. I got all of it, but the rust was worse than expected, as it usually is. However my SC is not my daily driver, so I can take all the time in the world to do it right the first time so the rust will not come back. Another option I have is to buy another local SC chassis that is not running, and just swap everything over and sell the rest, but I am really looking forward to the body work and love a challenge.

Good luck with the buy and keep us updated!
Thanks,
Rick
Your experience gives me confident of ownership. I would have to see the condition of the interior. Hopefully nothing major but I don't mind the DIY.
Just wondering, how much would it cost to repair the roof given the minimum work needed to the worst case scenario? Sry it's Sunday so I can't call any shops for quotes...
Old 04-15-12, 09:13 PM
yausito
Rookie

All depends on how much rust u have in that roof. If its only 2 inch. Sand, repair and paint might be less than 300... Also Depend on what color is the car. Different paint cost more.

Rust could be bigger from inside, once you start working on it.

Good luck on your buy
Old 04-15-12, 11:27 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I noticed it said Bomex kit, I just shook my head immediately :\
Old 04-15-12, 11:52 PM
redhanded7
Driver

was this the on one craigslist in Hawaii?
Old 04-16-12, 12:04 AM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

I'm not sure abot 14k... these cars hold their value horribly and personally, rather drive around with the plates zip tied off and the bomex kit in the garbage. Hate that kit but that's my opinion. Any pictures? 2jzgte swap done is a huge plus but at 14k I would expect a getrag not an w58
Old 04-16-12, 10:53 AM
DFC300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redhanded7
was this the on one craigslist in Hawaii?
Yep, you know anything about car?
Old 04-16-12, 10:54 AM
DFC300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yausito
All depends on how much rust u have in that roof. If its only 2 inch. Sand, repair and paint might be less than 300... Also Depend on what color is the car. Different paint cost more.

Rust could be bigger from inside, once you start working on it.

Good luck on your buy
Thank the info!
Old 04-16-12, 10:56 AM
DFC300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASTERiSK
I noticed it said Bomex kit, I just shook my head immediately :\
I haven't seen the car yet, so hope it doesn't look ehh
Old 04-16-12, 11:00 AM
DFC300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rcchris7
I'm not sure abot 14k... these cars hold their value horribly and personally, rather drive around with the plates zip tied off and the bomex kit in the garbage. Hate that kit but that's my opinion. Any pictures? 2jzgte swap done is a huge plus but at 14k I would expect a getrag not an w58
I don't know much about the trans department so I can't comment
The swap is why want to buy! And I'll get those pics later on today.
Is the bomex really that ugly looking?
Old 04-16-12, 11:05 AM
DFC300
Driver School Candidate

Just wondering, is there a way to tell the difference between the JDM vs USDM 2jzgte just by looking at it? Or they're all same except internals? Sry if this has been answered before..
Old 04-16-12, 04:44 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If I was you, I'd walk away and find me a car with 120k miles on it for about 3500 and use the rest of the money you saved for the go fast and look good stuff.
Rusty roof and 14000 you ****ing got to be kidding me, that 92 will sit there until a next sucker pops out of the bushes and buy it.
Sorry guys
Old 04-16-12, 05:33 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DFC300
I haven't seen the car yet, so hope it doesn't look ehh
Bomex is probably the least preferred body kit, at least I think so. I don't know anybody that likes it though lol. If you don't know what it looks like then do a google search.
Old 04-17-12, 01:06 AM
DFC300
Driver School Candidate

Well I got to see the SC and I'm surprised how strong it pushes. I mean I've never driven anything like it before. I didn't talk price with him since I needed to do some research.
The seller was a nice guy!
I'll be honest, with the rust didn't bother me much since I'm sure it can be fixed along with some cosmetic work here and there. Now how to put pics on this?

Last edited by DFC300; 04-17-12 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-17-12, 01:52 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
HELL no. You don't buy boosted cars, you build them. If you're gonna spend 14k on an old car with a snail you have too much money.
agreed your just buying someone elses toy and most likely they have used and abused it and now they want to pass it off to you.

In my opinion swapping out engines and trannies lower a cars value and not raise it.

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
If I was you, I'd walk away and find me a car with 120k miles on it for about 3500 and use the rest of the money you saved for the go fast and look good stuff.
Rusty roof and 14000 you ****ing got to be kidding me, that 92 will sit there until a next sucker pops out of the bushes and buy it.
Sorry guys
For about half of what hes gonna spend he can find a very low mileage, much newer sc and then fix it up himself.

At 14 grand for a 93 with rust and a swap this guy is in dreamworld.
Old 04-17-12, 08:26 AM
superpower
Driver School Candidate

Give him 9.5k and take the car home, have some fun with it. Swaps are headackes and every car is a money pit. Done and done

Quick Reply: Help with a buy!!!