got a new lexus sc400 with a few probs

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-02, 09:32 PM
ztikmedia
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got a new lexus sc400 with a few probs

Hi, I just purchased a 1992 Lexus sc400
There is a few problems that I didn't notice when I first baught the car. I wanted to see if there was a possible fix to these problems before spending hundreds at a machanic.

Problem #1) Cig lighter doesn't work, for some reason its not getting any power to it. I have checked the fuse box that is on the drivers side left panel and the fuse is not blown.

Problem #2) Only the front left speaker and rear 10' sub woofer are functional. All the other speakers do not work on the car stereo. Have also tried checking the same fuse box. And no my balance is not set weird! its right in the middle.

I was wondering if these are comming issues with the lexus sc400 and if there is a fix for this? Is there anything I can check that might be wrong with any of these componets?

Any help would be great,
Will
Old 11-03-02, 09:53 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

I don't know about the cigarette lighter. But your speakers are probably blown. YOu should replace the rears with 6.5" and if you are feeling creative, the fronts with 6.5".

A search will find you many threads on speakers.
Old 11-03-02, 10:17 PM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

Default Re: got a new lexus sc400 with a few probs

Originally posted by ztikmedia
Problem #1) Cig lighter doesn't work, for some reason its not getting any power to it. I have checked the fuse box that is on the drivers side left panel and the fuse is not blown.

You might want to check the wiring that runs to the lighter chamber....there have been threads on how to take the center console apart before so you should do a search if you dont know how... Is the light that encompasses the lighter working? It should come on when you have the lights on, it might be different on your car but mine has a green neon-type glow to it. If its not coming on you might just have a loose wire or it may have broken off...etc.

Problem #2) Only the front left speaker and rear 10' sub woofer are functional. All the other speakers do not work on the car stereo. Have also tried checking the same fuse box. And no my balance is not set weird! its right in the middle.

Bizzy's right, your speakers are most likely blown....it just happens with age....I put Diamond Audio speakers in the back when mine finally gave and they have a great sound to them. Good luck with the repairs.....

Buck

Last edited by undefeatedsc3; 11-03-02 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-03-02, 10:45 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The good thing is that these are very minor problems. The cigarette lighter you can probably fix yourself, if not, a replacement is really cheap. The speakers are most likely blown, as others have mentioned, and can be replaced really cheap (ebay used speakers) or done right and replaced with decent-to-good aftermarket speakers. Either way, there's no reason to pay a mechanic "hundreds" to fix them.
Old 11-03-02, 11:12 PM
ztikmedia
Driver

Thanks for info guys, guess I should have tried searching before posting
Anyway, the light does go on that lights the cig lighter. Ill search this board and find out how to pull it apart.

For the speakers I didn't think that were blown because it wasn't crackling or making any noise at all. Im guessing the amp just have a protect switch on it then.

Im going to email the dealer who i baught the car from and see if he will get the speakers replaced for me.

Thanks again,
Will
Old 11-03-02, 11:52 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

The speakers are blown. Wut happens is the magnet fuses to the cone or something strange like that. Mine didn't make a sound either.

I don't have the address handy, but goto www.ixquick.com and search for Lexus Soarer Owners Club. They have a editorial on how to take apart the centre console. Check the "fixes and repairs" section on the left frame.

Yep, you are lucky that your problems are very minor
Enjoy the car! It will last you a long time!
Old 11-04-02, 02:26 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by bizzy928
The speakers are blown. Wut happens is the magnet fuses to the cone or something strange like that.
When you push more power into a speaker can it can handle, the voice coil melts and fuses to the magnet, known as a "frozen speaker" because you can't move the cone anymore.
Old 11-04-02, 03:46 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

For the rear speakers, the easiest test to determine if the speakers are blown or if the problem lies in the source signal (amp, head unit, wiring) is to remove the trunk panel that covers the gas tank. You can then get to the connectors of the speakers. Take a speaker that you know works (such as from your home stereo) and connect it with alligator clips to the "dead" speakers. If the speaker works, then as everyone has mentioned, the speakers are shot. That would be good news because the stock speakers can use an upgrade!

But there is a slight chance the problem lies in the source signal and the above test would confirm that before going through the hassle of removing the seat and all the panels needed to change the speakers.
Old 11-04-02, 03:55 AM
ztikmedia
Driver

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
For the rear speakers, the easiest test to determine if the speakers are blown or if the problem lies in the source signal (amp, head unit, wiring) is to remove the trunk panel that covers the gas tank. You can then get to the connectors of the speakers. Take a speaker that you know works (such as from your home stereo) and connect it with alligator clips to the "dead" speakers. If the speaker works, then as everyone has mentioned, the speakers are shot. That would be good news because the stock speakers can use an upgrade!

But there is a slight chance the problem lies in the source signal and the above test would confirm that before going through the hassle of removing the seat and all the panels needed to change the speakers.
Thanks for the info!!! I didn't think of that and will try it first thing tomorrow.

Will
Old 11-04-02, 06:11 PM
ztikmedia
Driver

The speakers were the things that were blown, hooked up some other speakers and all the channels work fine.

As for the cig lighter, im not sure if anyone knows of this but it actualy has a sort of fuse on the bottom part of it. It had a small lead wire that current runs through, my lead wire was melted through so I just soddred a new one on there. Works fine now

Also got a pic of my lex today:
Old 11-04-02, 11:02 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Awesome! Now you know what your problems are, and fixed some of them! Can't get any better than that can it?
Old 11-05-02, 06:54 PM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

Thats a nice lookin' car you got there
Good job on the fix.

-BP