SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Does a blackened headlight look tasteful on a Beige car?
Yes
34.55%
No
65.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Blackened headlight mod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-02, 03:46 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Blackened headlight mod?

What do you guys think? I'm sick of the glare created by the reflective metallic coverings inside the headlight. I'm contemplating painting the mirror-finish all black to eliminate this. Problem is my car is beige, not black and I'm afraid the mod will look goofy on a gold-colored car. I'll open up a poll so you can vote for or against it. I could go either way, which is why I'll leave it to you guys to decide for me...
Old 11-06-02, 06:08 AM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tink it really depends on the look you're going for.

blacked out headlights are pretty aggressive looking on a beige car , so if you decide to go for it,

http://unclemax.net/images/Events/09...po%20Max04.gif
http://unclemax.net/images/Events/09...po%20Max09.gif

I know its a Maxima, but it does give a much more aggressive look- it might match what you have planned for the car it might not

either way you go, you have a clean SC!
Old 11-06-02, 06:33 AM
legendary
Racer

I say go for it. I plan on doing it once I get my HID's. If you don't like how it came out, we can trade. Mine are in good shape.

I was nervous about doing it to my Legend but it came out well. I agree, it makes any car looks very aggressive.

MY Legend at NOPI

Got more pics if you want to see them
Old 11-06-02, 08:13 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Sorry guys...

On the contrary, I reckon that the original headlight units would look much better left as is compared to blacking it out. I dunno, it's a light coloured SC, maybe if it was dark green or black or something it would look good, really sinister, but on a lighter colour car it'd look outta place... IMHO anyway
Old 11-06-02, 12:03 PM
legendary
Racer

Default Re: Sorry guys...

Originally posted by Soarer_25GTT
On the contrary, I reckon that the original headlight units would look much better left as is compared to blacking it out. I dunno, it's a light coloured SC, maybe if it was dark green or black or something it would look good, really sinister, but on a lighter colour car it'd look outta place... IMHO anyway
I am partial to that statement...I kind of agree since its lighter it may look wrong, hence the reason I gave him the option of trading with me. But, if it did look ok, it may set it off. You just need to photoshop it, or do a partial blacking out I guess.

[I also have a light silver (Seattle Silver) Legend and I do not think I would like how blacked out bezels look on it, so I am leaving it be for now]
Old 11-06-02, 12:12 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say don't do it. I have never seen an SC w/ black headlights, but IMO, i think it would look like you got some of those black plastic covers and popped on ur lights (like many of the lowered SUVs and mustangs, etc.) have around me. Again, I haven't seen them in person so....

legendary: Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of HIDs if you black out the headlights? HIDs are used to increase visibility at night. Black haedlights would inhibit this performance. Also, if you are getting HIDs for looks, the black headlight would make the HIDs not look right IMO. Again, this is just my $0.02.
Old 11-06-02, 12:16 PM
Lvangundy

Looks good on the maxima.

I think it would work on yours..
Old 11-06-02, 12:31 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

dont do it...I have a gold SC too and I tried to picture what blacken headlights would look like and it would look pretty ugly. It just wouldnt go with the rest of the car and the headlights will really show up. Keep it crome it and live with the glare because black headlight will ruin the look on your SC. That my opinion if you decide to do it thats your choice and your car but post pics if u do do it.
Old 11-06-02, 01:27 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Do a 'photochop' of it first
Old 11-06-02, 01:40 PM
TurboSC
Lexus Test Driver

Default like this?..

Do you mean "blacking" it out like this car?

If that is what you mean, I would make sure to do both the high and low beams, and the sides. Personally, I think it looks tight, because not alot of people to it.

When I get my HID, I am going to be doing this to my lights. My car is dark green right now, but it is going to be painted RSP
Old 11-06-02, 02:06 PM
legendary
Racer

Well, I want HID's so I can see better...
I would still want to try it...at least for shows

I can have a set for shows, and a set for daily driving....I dunno.
I loved how they looked on my Legend....perhaps it can be done in a way thats not so detrimental
Old 11-06-02, 03:17 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Some of you may be confused here. I'm talking about painting the chrome cover inside the headlight, not the clear one on the outside. Since it's a projector, there is no detriment to lighting performance. In fact the sole purpose here is to actually improve lighting by eliminating the glare reflected off the chrome piece below it. The high beam is a different story. I guess I'll keep it as is until I decide to paint my entire car black (if that ever happens ..).
Old 11-06-02, 05:36 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default nahhh

No sir, I don't like it....
Stick with the chrome

Tim
Old 11-07-02, 06:05 AM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

My photoshop eh...... i dunno if this is exactly what you meant but hey, i gave it a try. IMO, it wouldnt look all that great.
Attached Thumbnails Blackened headlight mod?-nov03-03-copy.jpg  
Old 11-07-02, 06:25 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the chop . I would be doing the headlights only, which would look even weirder!

Quick Reply: Blackened headlight mod?