SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New to the boards and looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 08:24 PM
SRTSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to look at the red one tomorrow sometime. Anything I should look for in particular? Front bumper/one headlight was replaced this past year at Lexus due to a parking lot incident in which someone backed into it. Other than that, no paint work or other previous damage. Paint is in great condition for its age allegedly with no fading. Timing belt /water pump was allegedly done between 70-80K by previous owner. The car needs nothing mechanically, and everything works as it should according to owner. Small crack on driver's side door panel by window, which I hear is normal. Also, some cracking on driver's side seat bottom. Even with the minor imperfections, 4,500 sounds reasonable to what else I've seen on the market lately. Most I have found hover in the 5K range with over 100K if they are at dealers. Minty, low mileage ones seem to go for over 7K.
Old 05-19-12, 10:32 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by SRTSC
I am going to look at the red one tomorrow sometime. Anything I should look for in particular? Front bumper/one headlight was replaced this past year at Lexus due to a parking lot incident in which someone backed into it. Other than that, no paint work or other previous damage. Paint is in great condition for its age allegedly with no fading. Timing belt /water pump was allegedly done between 70-80K by previous owner. The car needs nothing mechanically, and everything works as it should according to owner. Small crack on driver's side door panel by window, which I hear is normal. Also, some cracking on driver's side seat bottom. Even with the minor imperfections, 4,500 sounds reasonable to what else I've seen on the market lately. Most I have found hover in the 5K range with over 100K if they are at dealers. Minty, low mileage ones seem to go for over 7K.
A few other things to check would be:

-Make sure the gauge cluster lighting works. Adjust the brightness and see how it looks.
-Make sure the radio and climate control work properly.
-Check the headlights and taillights for condensation.
Old 05-19-12, 09:41 PM
SRTSC
Rookie

I am passing on this car. Leather was all dried out, driver's seat was all torn up, big rust spot on rear quarter almost through the metal, spiderweb cracking all over rear bumper. Cosmetically in average condition I'd say for the age. It ran well, but for another grand or so, I could pick a MUCH better one I think.
Old 05-19-12, 09:45 PM
GamblerZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should ask yourself, "How much work am I willing to put into this car? What is my time worth?"

Figure out what your free time is worth and calculate from there. It always seems that younger people have all the time in the world and don't mind doing a little work if they can save a couple thousand up front. But for $4500 I would expect a car that is in pretty good shape.
Old 05-20-12, 08:58 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by GamblerZ
You should ask yourself, "How much work am I willing to put into this car? What is my time worth?"

Figure out what your free time is worth and calculate from there. It always seems that younger people have all the time in the world and don't mind doing a little work if they can save a couple thousand up front. But for $4500 I would expect a car that is in pretty good shape.
And this one really wasn't. It looked like a 20 year old car that spent a lot of time outside and in tight parking lots. I'd say this car is more like a $3,500 car.
Old 05-20-12, 05:41 PM
SRTSC
Rookie

I just looked at my neighbor's 1993 black/tan SC300 with 56K on it. Wow, what a difference in condition compare to that red one I looked at! My neighbor paid 8 grand for it out the door at a dealer, which is a bit steep IMO. It gives me hope there are still good ones out there. I'll just take my time looking.
Old 05-20-12, 07:34 PM
OBEY414
Rookie

Originally Posted by SRTSC
Well, I am going to pass on the white one. It is not local to me, and I'd have to fly out to get it. By the time I'd get it home, it'd cost me at least another $700 in travel/gas expenses. My neighbor just picked up a nice 1993 SC300 with 56K on it, black/tan. I am not sure what he paid, but it was at McGrath Lexus. This seems to be more in line price wise for a 1993, and it is about 40 min from me. I just wish it were a different color combo. If you know of any good SC400s in the Chicagoland area that are for sale, shoot me a PM.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/3005270062.html
I am selling my 97sc400 white/tan clean as hell lot of maintence! I am in Milwaukee email me if interested/pics

Eastkidmil@gmail.com
Old 05-20-12, 07:40 PM
AlphaMotor
Lead Lap

Is the white one in westmont?
Old 05-21-12, 07:39 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by OBEY414
I am selling my 97sc400 white/tan clean as hell lot of maintence! I am in Milwaukee email me if interested/pics

Eastkidmil@gmail.com
E-mail will be sent momentarily.
Old 05-21-12, 07:41 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

I have a lead on what sounds like a mint, red 1992 SC400 with 60,000 miles that is about an hour from me. I am working on the details with the lady who is selling it and will keep you guys posted. The info was forwarded to me by a member on the board. Thank you! The car is not currently listed for sale, but she would like to sell it, so this may work out assuming she does not want some insane amount of money for it.
Old 05-21-12, 08:03 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

All right, got some details on the car. She is the original owner. It is a 1992 red with gray interior and about 60K. Everything works and car was always serviced by Lexus and garage kept. She cannot remember if she did the timing belt or not but always did whatever Lexus recommended in terms of maintenance when she'd bring it in. She said she has no idea what it is worth. I have seen a 95 with 67K go for 7200 and a 96 with 82K go for 7300 on ebay recently. Decent cars with 100K seem to go for about 4 grand give or take a few hundred. I also know there is a 1992 with 65K on here going for 6K. What do you think is a fair price for this car? I was thinking between 6-6500 would be fair if the car is as mint as it sounds. Thoughts?
Old 05-21-12, 09:21 AM
GamblerZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without being able to see the car in person, it is really difficult to judge what might be deemed fair. The bigger question is what is a price you can live with?
Old 05-21-12, 09:51 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

Based on what I've seen these cars listed at and if the timing belt was never done, I'd say around 6K is the maximum I'd pay for it provided it is cosmetically near mint condition for the age/year.
Old 05-21-12, 10:12 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

I am getting pictures sent to me later today and will post them up and let you guys be the judge.
Old 05-22-12, 09:15 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

I have a few photos on my Android phone of the exterior. Looks like there is a scrape on the front bumper passenger side from parallel parking, and it appears the lower air dam/bumper got acquainted with a parking block at some point...
Attached Thumbnails New to the boards and looking for advice-lexus-sc400-1.jpg   New to the boards and looking for advice-lexus-sc400-2.jpg   New to the boards and looking for advice-lexus-sc400-3.jpg  

Last edited by SRTSC; 05-22-12 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: New to the boards and looking for advice