SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New to the boards and looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12, 09:44 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll post more as I get them. Once I have all the info, I'm really curious to see as to what people would pay for this car.
Old 05-22-12, 10:21 AM
GamblerZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you happen to take a pic UNDERNEATH the car? I only ask because the car is parked partially on the lawn which is sometimes a tell-tale sign that someone might be concealing the fact that the car has an oil leak. Of course, it also could be because they wanted to. Despite all the questions you've asked here, you MUST be your own best advocate. Be proactive and assume NOTHING!!! I don't care if the seller is wearing a priest's collar and the Pope is standing behind him.

- going back to see the car multiple times puts you into a weaker negotiating position
- you should ask all the questions you want to ask at the first meeting, and don't ask a bunch of softball questions
- inspect the car fully yourself, even if you don't have a clue what you are looking for (the seller doesn't know that and might disclose something to you)
- take LOTS of pictures (especially problem areas)
- take a picture of the VIN (it is not as obvious as writing the VIN down)
- when you take it for a test drive, check first under the hood whether the engine is hot or cold. Some sellers will warm up their cars knowing that someone is coming up for a test drive
- ask where the car has been serviced and follow-up with the service dept.
- bring a friend (preferably someone who has some experience) to look at the car with you. Four eyes are always better than two

Remember, in the end it is your money. All the comments from people saying things like "cool car", "looks mint", and "I would buy it" are great but they are not the ones whipping out their checkbook. You are.

Finally, and most importantly, don't get emotional about the car. If you can't walk away from the deal because you don't like the terms or you sense something is not right, then your judgement is probably clouded. At this point I can only recommend that you buy yourself a 6-pack of Vaseline and a spatula to make the reaming you will be receiving a little bit easier.
Old 05-22-12, 11:12 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by GamblerZ
Did you happen to take a pic UNDERNEATH the car? I only ask because the car is parked partially on the lawn which is sometimes a tell-tale sign that someone might be concealing the fact that the car has an oil leak. Of course, it also could be because they wanted to. Despite all the questions you've asked here, you MUST be your own best advocate. Be proactive and assume NOTHING!!! I don't care if the seller is wearing a priest's collar and the Pope is standing behind him.

- going back to see the car multiple times puts you into a weaker negotiating position
- you should ask all the questions you want to ask at the first meeting, and don't ask a bunch of softball questions
- inspect the car fully yourself, even if you don't have a clue what you are looking for (the seller doesn't know that and might disclose something to you)
- take LOTS of pictures (especially problem areas)
- take a picture of the VIN (it is not as obvious as writing the VIN down)
- when you take it for a test drive, check first under the hood whether the engine is hot or cold. Some sellers will warm up their cars knowing that someone is coming up for a test drive
- ask where the car has been serviced and follow-up with the service dept.
- bring a friend (preferably someone who has some experience) to look at the car with you. Four eyes are always better than two

Remember, in the end it is your money. All the comments from people saying things like "cool car", "looks mint", and "I would buy it" are great but they are not the ones whipping out their checkbook. You are.

Finally, and most importantly, don't get emotional about the car. If you can't walk away from the deal because you don't like the terms or you sense something is not right, then your judgement is probably clouded. At this point I can only recommend that you buy yourself a 6-pack of Vaseline and a spatula to make the reaming you will be receiving a little bit easier.
I have only spoken to the owner via texting thus far and have asked a good amount of questions. I am waiting to get more pictures of the car, namely any damage as I already noted as well as shots of the interior/engine bay. I am also having her send me a list of maintenance done to it. I told her I have to be picky because she is an hour drive from me, and I do not want to waste time with surprises like the last one I looked at. The car is not listed for sale anyway, so I have plenty of time to research this to exhaustion. I planned on going to look at this weekend should she give me a ballpark of what she wants for it (if it reasonable), and the car is nice. Pictures hide a lot, but what I've noticed so far on them, I am not getting my hopes up that the car is an as nice as hat gold one with 65K that just sold on these boards yesterday.
Old 05-22-12, 02:39 PM
jayhoffa50
Rookie

fellow ur heart !!! cuz it will never let you down if you take care of her ......
Old 06-10-12, 08:20 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

Update: never heard anything back from the owner, so I guess she is not ready to sell. I have found another but when I run the carfax and autochecks on it, the mileage is off. Car is listed with 98k but car fax shows mileage building normally through 122k then it drops to 112k then up through 148K. What the heck?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/3068308337.html

http://www.carfax.com/viewEmailRepor...3D&language=en

Last edited by SRTSC; 06-10-12 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-10-12, 03:55 PM
SRTSC
Rookie

Anyone ever seen something like this before?
Old 06-10-12, 05:51 PM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

Something is off with the VIN or the seller is lying. Check the box of the title on mileage. I've seen car reports with off mileage because someone logged the miles for a service. Literally just happened on my s2000 a few months ago (someone logged km vs miles). Just look at the dates and you can usually solve it.
Old 06-10-12, 10:23 PM
SRTSC
Rookie

Well, the mileage builds as if the car were driven normally until 122,000 and then drops to 112,000, which would be a simple clerical error. A few years later in 2010, it shows 148,000. When I convert the this from kilometers to miles it comes in at 92,000 miles. Car has 98,000 miles now. Is it possible this car's mileage was always recorded in kilometers? I find that hard to believe in the states. Is there a way to get the trip on these cars to display kilometers instead of miles?
Old 06-10-12, 10:35 PM
DcW58
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tommy2JZ
pay him in trident layers
Bahahaha thats how I paid for mine. Lol
Old 06-11-12, 08:25 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

I have researched this to nauseam and have determined two things must have happened. Odometer readings got recorded in kilometers, which I find hard to believe since it would have happened for several years/entries. OR the computer was changed out and reprogrammed to show lower mileage. Since this is an electronic odometer, the CPU controls what the mileage reads, so even if one were to change the cluster out, the true mileage would still be displayed by the CPU. Plus, if you are going to go through that trouble, why not make the mileage lower than 90 something thousand? I don't see why anyone would go through the trouble to do that, but you never know. I am just really frustrated because it is a really nice car for the price, but I am having second thoughts about it regarding the mileage discrepancy reported by Carfax vs what the odometer shows...
Old 06-11-12, 08:38 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

spend a little more and buy mine its currently at 71k miles
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...69k-miles.html
Old 06-11-12, 08:53 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

About 5K is my limit. I figure I can get a decent earlier SC400 for that.
Old 06-11-12, 09:55 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

UPDATE: Seller is going to file a report with SOS police regarding mileage discrepancy. Sounds like the prior owner may have messed with the odometer based on the research I've done and what the current owner says the prior owner, who sounds shady, told him when he bought it last year. Car probably has 150 something thousand miles on it most likely. It is still a nice car, but 100K vs 150K is a pretty big difference. I don't know if I will buy it now.
Old 06-12-12, 05:33 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

Prior owner of the Lexus. I hate these people:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ing-dealership

I feel bad for the seller now. He is obviously the victim of odometer roll back. With that said the car is still very nice and really doesn't need anything. I am guessing the true mileage to be about 155K. Thus, $4,700 is too much IMO for it, especially now, since it will have a tainted Carfax and true mileage will have to be listed as "unknown" when listed. I like the car a lot, but I don't think I am going to get it because of this.
Old 06-12-12, 07:05 AM
hampotato
Driver School Candidate

Offer a price to her based on your reasons

Quick Reply: New to the boards and looking for advice