SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New to the boards and looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-12, 08:55 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found another this one being a 1995 with around 139K original miles with maintenance records from day 1 for the same price as what that one was listed for, clean Carfax, and it just had 3,800 bucks worth of routine and preventative maintenance done to it. Leather on driver's seat has some wrinkles and a couple of small cracks, but door panels have no cracks, and everything works. I am not crazy about the color combo (green on tan), prefer the blue on tan, but if I'm buying a high mileage one, I'd rather have one where I know the miles and have all the records with it. I would imagine I could get the blue one for around 4K and the green for under 5K.
Old 06-12-12, 09:46 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

Still going to check out the blue 1993 SC400 with the mileage discrepancy tomorrow. Recent maintenance was brakes, tires, bushings, tune up, timing belt etc. I believe. He was firm at 4,700 when he thought the mileage to be 98K. Now that the mileage is probably around 150-155K, that price would have to chance. What would be fair if car is clean, and it's mechanics check out? Thing is I know I can get a really well maintained one with full documentation for under 5K right now.

Last edited by SRTSC; 06-12-12 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-12-12, 11:20 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

1995 SC400, 139K, full documents, tons of work done recently as well.
Attached Thumbnails New to the boards and looking for advice-5i15w65j93ka3mb3hbc6b11d9c548e8d212f4.jpg  
Old 06-12-12, 11:21 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

1993 SC400, odometer shows 98K, true mileage somewhere between 150-155K:
Attached Thumbnails New to the boards and looking for advice-5ga5y45e83kf3fb3l4c6950884ebd9f5014ec.jpg   New to the boards and looking for advice-5i45kb5j83e83g43k7c698f719044954114ac.jpg  
Old 06-12-12, 11:22 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

Interior is about same condition on green one, but seats look a little better on the blue from the pics.
Old 06-12-12, 01:26 PM
pmafia
Driver School Candidate

Hey there SRTSC,

im from burlington area and just wanted to let u know i have seen the pearl/metalic green sc400 1995, he lives on wis/il border, i was in loves park,il area and picked up a set of tires from him he had for a e46 bmw, his name is chris,

He lives at a very nice area and very straight forward honest guy! tires were suppose to have 60-70% and they were brand new blizzacks !! i got a steel for 200$! anywase to inform u about the lexus, he told me its for sale and i told him about this forum so u might even see it on here as he said he was going to post it,

The car itself runs amazing! very beautifull color in my eyes as its not gree, yet a pearl the looks blue in certain angles! the driver seat has no rips to extent of most sc's get, has a few rinkles and a crack or two but nothing bad, body has no rust like his add states, has 1 small small dent and thats it! i was suprised, he said a nice wax/buff job would be nice and i agree would make it shine even more!

He showed me all the maintence papers and work that has been recetly done! which he has on his add on craigslist.org , his wife has a nice mercedes suv and he has a m3 bmw and he said lexus doesnt get used so thats why its posted, everything works and he had a nice navigation screen installed that looks like its original,, very nice install, i asked him what his bottom doller is,, he told me 4,400$ which is what he has into it within last 2 months.

its a amazing buy if ur willing to spend that kind of money, he had some extra parts for it also i forgot what it was.. but its one of the cleanest sc400 i have seen for 4-5k range..

so if u go to look at it know it could use a wash,new floor matsand mabey a nice wax job to get rid of small scratches etc.. he just got his m3 detailed and it looks flawless!!

so deffinetly nice place and guy,, now the other sc u have posted i havent even seen on craigslist so i cant tell u anything about.. other then if miles are changed/hidden what else has been missed/hidde/not maintenced is my question? k good luck and if u find a rolling chassis sc3/sc4 please let me know as im in the search, thanks
Old 06-12-12, 02:44 PM
SRTSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by pmafia
Hey there SRTSC,

im from burlington area and just wanted to let u know i have seen the pearl/metalic green sc400 1995, he lives on wis/il border, i was in loves park,il area and picked up a set of tires from him he had for a e46 bmw, his name is chris,

He lives at a very nice area and very straight forward honest guy! tires were suppose to have 60-70% and they were brand new blizzacks !! i got a steel for 200$! anywase to inform u about the lexus, he told me its for sale and i told him about this forum so u might even see it on here as he said he was going to post it,

The car itself runs amazing! very beautifull color in my eyes as its not gree, yet a pearl the looks blue in certain angles! the driver seat has no rips to extent of most sc's get, has a few rinkles and a crack or two but nothing bad, body has no rust like his add states, has 1 small small dent and thats it! i was suprised, he said a nice wax/buff job would be nice and i agree would make it shine even more!

He showed me all the maintence papers and work that has been recetly done! which he has on his add on craigslist.org , his wife has a nice mercedes suv and he has a m3 bmw and he said lexus doesnt get used so thats why its posted, everything works and he had a nice navigation screen installed that looks like its original,, very nice install, i asked him what his bottom doller is,, he told me 4,400$ which is what he has into it within last 2 months.

its a amazing buy if ur willing to spend that kind of money, he had some extra parts for it also i forgot what it was.. but its one of the cleanest sc400 i have seen for 4-5k range..

so if u go to look at it know it could use a wash,new floor matsand mabey a nice wax job to get rid of small scratches etc.. he just got his m3 detailed and it looks flawless!!

so deffinetly nice place and guy,, now the other sc u have posted i havent even seen on craigslist so i cant tell u anything about.. other then if miles are changed/hidden what else has been missed/hidde/not maintenced is my question? k good luck and if u find a rolling chassis sc3/sc4 please let me know as im in the search, thanks
Looks like I might end up taking the drive out there tomorrow hopefully. First thing, I'd do is detail it, put some rubber mats in it, and maybe a seat covers. Next step would be to look for a set of wheels for it, and I'd be good to go.
Old 06-12-12, 02:46 PM
SRTSC
Rookie

I am still going to look at the blue one in the morning. Then maybe the green in the evening. Maybe I'll have a SC400 by this time tomorrow... We'll see.
Old 06-12-12, 03:06 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would go with the 95, based on the information that has been listed on both cars. Good Luck with your decision, it sounds like you will make the right one from your research.
Old 06-12-12, 03:13 PM
pmafia
Driver School Candidate

Don't get me wrong it doesnt NEED new floor mats or a detail, but the guy has the original lexus floormats and the driverside has some shoe wear, and i use to detail cars, paint needs a nice claybar,buffing,polish so 125-150$ at most detail shops, if hes willing to sell for 4,400$ then 600$ into it would make it a prestine!!! mint sc400 that would definetly last! i even seensome nice seats from a 50k miles sc300 for 150$ on craigslist, im sure would swap right in,

but yes best of luck to u and pull the trigger on what ever ur heart tells u, im sure 92-98 wont find a mint sc3/4 being there older cars, so i would deffinetly look after the maintence,and long lasticity of the vehicle..

as looks can always be changed! also 5x114 is the bolt pattern for these, if u craigslist it 300-700$ gets u nice set of wheels and tires and use his current ones for winter,, who ever painted chrises sc400 the wheels are well holding up and nice look, also if i recall correctly the emblems are matched to it and valve stems matched to original color of car.. so nice details. k goodluck!
Old 06-12-12, 06:22 PM
SRTSC
Rookie

I have researched this obsessively. I am going to see it tomorrow. The car looks very clean for being almost 18 years old, and the fact it has a full history is just icing on the cake. There are a lot of crappy SC400s out there. Ones that look like 20 year old cars, ones with branded titles, ones with incorrect mileage, etc. The worst part is that dealers are still listing these cars in the 6-8K range all day long. If I do end up buying her, you'll be the first to know, and I will be looking for a nice set of wheels and tires to go on whenever it needs tires again.

FYI, I have both Carfax ( I can only run them by plates now) and Autocheck (I can run VINs) for the another three weeks. Shoot me a PM if you need anything run!
Old 06-13-12, 01:02 PM
SRTSC
Rookie

Well, I had a time set up to see the car this afternoon after we spoke on the phone yesterday. and called the guy and got no answer a couple of times. Finally, after I'd been on the road about 15 min, I got ahold of him to learn the car sold this morning. He said he tried calling me, but it went to my voicemail. I was not happy due to the fact that I set up an appointment, and he knew that. When I sell something, whoever calls first and says they are coming gets the first showing. Any other interested parties, get to come second. I guess not everyone thinks with the same courtesy I do. In any event still looking now (sigh)...
Old 06-13-12, 09:21 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The mileage discrepancy on that one car is most likely from someone swapping out the instrument cluster. Probably due to the fact the speedo quit working or all the needles burned out.
I too like the looks of pre-97's as well. Get familiar with the common issues associated with these models and the pre-97's have some specific issues as well.
My 92 has a little over 220k miles and I'd drive it coast to coast right this minute and not worry about it. If you like to cruise you'll enjoy the road manners of the 400 over the 300.
Good luck. I know you'll find something.

Oh and also, when you find another potential car, get the vin# and go to Lexus.com and enter it under My Vehicles or something like that. It'll pull up the all service history that was done at the dealership.

Last edited by gtsfire; 06-13-12 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-13-12, 09:52 PM
SRTSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by gtsfire
The mileage discrepancy on that one car is most likely from someone swapping out the instrument cluster. Probably due to the fact the speedo quit working or all the needles burned out.
I too like the looks of pre-97's as well. Get familiar with the common issues associated with these models and the pre-97's have some specific issues as well.
My 92 has a little over 220k miles and I'd drive it coast to coast right this minute and not worry about it. If you like to cruise you'll enjoy the road manners of the 400 over the 300.
Good luck. I know you'll find something.

Oh and also, when you find another potential car, get the vin# and go to Lexus.com and enter it under My Vehicles or something like that. It'll pull up the all service history that was done at the dealership.
Thank you. I have about three solid leads for cars. Two are local. One is not. We will see.
Old 06-21-12, 08:26 PM
SRTSC
Rookie

UPDATE: Still nothing yet. My buddy might be selling a nearly flawless 1992 Dodge Stealth R/T 5 speed with just over 60K on it. We have semi agreed on a price of 5K. I sold my 1992 Stealth Twin Turbo a few years ago for just over 7K with 64K on it, but his car is nicer than mine was, just has no turbos, which is fine with me. That is my plan B car. I am looking at XJ Jeep Cherokee Classics as well. I also looked at that 1993 SC400 that had the mileage issue (rolled back or cluster changed). Car has probably 160K on it based on its Carfax, odo shows 98K, but drove perfect, looked great (some cracking on the front seats a few dings). Other than that, nothing really wrong with it. Very recent tune up, control arms, bushings, tires, brakes, timing belt. He wants 4K for it. I am a little torn on what to do. Hold out for a lower mileage one that will cost more, buy the Stealth ( I know the car's entire history), or search for 4x4. I really like the way the Lexus is built and drives though. The Stealth is not built as well, but looks/drives just as cool IMO. Decisions, decisions...

Quick Reply: New to the boards and looking for advice