New to the boards and looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-12, 09:02 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the boards and looking for advice

Hello,

I am new to the boards and do not currently own Lexus. I am looking for clean, well-maintained SC400 to use as my daily transportation to and from work. I have a 2010 Detonator Yellow Dodge Challenger SRT-8 that I use as my weekend/fun car. I have done a decent amount of research on the SC400 and have concluded I prefer the pre 1997 style, even though they have less HP and a four speed transmission. I have found a white/tan 1993 SC400 with 109K on it owned by an older man. It has already had the 120K maintenance done (timing belt,water pump etc) as well as newer tires, brakes, A/C service. The car appears very clean and needs nothing. He is asking $6,200. What do you guys think I should pay? He is right in line with KBB pricing, but I have been watching e-bay and other listings and think it should go for a bit less. The big selling point is that it is a southern car, meaning no rust, and all preventative maintenance is done. Thanks!
Old 05-17-12, 10:18 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

That is a high price but considering the mileage and work done it diesnt seem that bad. Offer him less with cash money if it checks out. Those prices are just for starters everything is negotiable ... Good luck with your choice. I say buy it if its near perfect shape.
Old 05-17-12, 11:10 AM
GamblerZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything is negotiable and nothing speaks louder than cash in hand.

That said, you mentioned that the pricing on the car is right in line with KBB. However, is that for an "Excellent" car, or something else? Also, it might be a good idea to run the car by a dealer and have them give it a good once-over. There might be a nominal charge for this, but better safe than sorry.
Old 05-18-12, 06:20 AM
AlphaMotor
Lead Lap

Lol..based off the specs I think I actually know the owner of this car. Is iit in westmont?
Old 05-18-12, 07:10 AM
MrCJ305
Lead Lap

That's way too much for a 93...that should go for $3500-maybe $4000. For $6k & up you can get a 97+ which is worth it.

Last edited by MrCJ305; 05-18-12 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-18-12, 07:39 AM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

yea imo thats a way to high but yea sounds like a clean car, see if u can knock the price down on it
Old 05-18-12, 08:39 AM
Tommy2JZ
Pole Position

pay him in trident layers
Old 05-18-12, 09:37 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the owner the original owner? Have you pulled the CarFax? If not, it is worth the money. Did he have the 100,000 mile extended warranty? Has it been dealer serviced all of its life?

I bought a Lexus from the original owner just after the 100k mile extended warranty expired. I was able to obtain the entire service history and verify everything the dealer ever recommended had been done.I was confident of the quality of the car service and that OEM replacement parts had been used throughout its life. That is what you want if you are going to pay up for a car.
Old 05-18-12, 09:37 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Oh, and WELCOME! Be sure to introduce yourself if you have not done so already.
Old 05-18-12, 10:52 AM
SRTSC
Rookie

Well, I am going to pass on the white one. It is not local to me, and I'd have to fly out to get it. By the time I'd get it home, it'd cost me at least another $700 in travel/gas expenses. My neighbor just picked up a nice 1993 SC300 with 56K on it, black/tan. I am not sure what he paid, but it was at McGrath Lexus. This seems to be more in line price wise for a 1993, and it is about 40 min from me. I just wish it were a different color combo. If you know of any good SC400s in the Chicagoland area that are for sale, shoot me a PM.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/3005270062.html
Old 05-18-12, 11:38 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by SRTSC
Well, I am going to pass on the white one. It is not local to me, and I'd have to fly out to get it. By the time I'd get it home, it'd cost me at least another $700 in travel/gas expenses. My neighbor just picked up a nice 1993 SC300 with 56K on it, black/tan. I am not sure what he paid, but it was at McGrath Lexus. This seems to be more in line price wise for a 1993, and it is about 40 min from me. I just wish it were a different color combo. If you know of any good SC400s in the Chicagoland area that are for sale, shoot me a PM.
That one looks really clean and it's at a good price. You should go for it if you like the color.
Old 05-18-12, 12:15 PM
SRTSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kira X
That one looks really clean and it's at a good price. You should go for it if you like the color.
It does look nice. I'd remove the gold pin stripe for sure and eventually get different wheels. I was hoping to find a pearl white or another lighter colored one as I would not have to worry about paint fade. Interior color is not as big of an issue though I prefer black or grey over tan. I may take a look at this one though as it seems quite clean and reasonably priced. Condition is the most important thing to me. Color combo would come second. The only color I would not consider is gold. No offense to anyone, just not my cup of tea on any car.
Old 05-18-12, 03:35 PM
MrCJ305
Lead Lap

It does look nice. I'd remove the gold pin stripe for sure and eventually get different wheels. I was hoping to find a pearl white or another lighter colored one as I would not have to worry about paint fade. Interior color is not as big of an issue though I prefer black or grey over tan. I may take a look at this one though as it seems quite clean and reasonably priced. Condition is the most important thing to me. Color combo would come second. The only color I would not consider is gold. No offense to anyone, just not my cup of tea on any car.
Never count gold out...I'm just saying
Attached Thumbnails New to the boards and looking for advice-5506650349_a1419f1614_b.jpg  
Old 05-18-12, 03:37 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts
Smile

Yeah, white would be good choice too. However the red from the 92-94 SC's looks amazing in good condition. Grey interior is pretty tough to find, and black is usually on the darker colored 95+ SC's. If you prefer those interiors over tan, I highly recommend getting an SC with a black/gray interior since it's a hassle to convert from tan to black/gray.
Old 05-18-12, 06:07 PM
Lead Lap

That red one looks really good. The pin stripe diffidently needs to go but the interior looked pretty good. White sc's are pretty hard to find by me, but good luck finding a car.

Quick Reply: New to the boards and looking for advice