Advice Needed For a Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 08:34 PM
rogers2014
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Needed For a Newbie

Hey Guys and fell CL members!

My name is Chris and just last week (last wed) i took ownership over a 1993 SC400. It has 296k km on it and it needs some work. It was purchased for $800 and it has no rust on the body. The car is solid but i'm needing some advice. Basically i'm in Ontario Canada, and we have to do emissions as with most places lol well here's my issue, the km's are really high and the car does need a tune up, would it make sense to just swap out the motor? I don't care for the high hp rating or whatever i just want something I can keep for the time i own this car (which will be for years). Now in your honest opinion, would it be worth it to just rebuild the engine and tranny? It's a auto i don't mind getting a manual but just want to keep the car pretty much forever and want it to be slick and clean. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 05-18-12, 08:36 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

I am not understanding the connection...did you previously fail emission? Is the car running poorly?
Old 05-18-12, 08:40 PM
rogers2014
Rookie

Hey sorry should of clarified, the car is running poorly...it has a very bad smell coming out of the exhaust but it when i start it, it shakes (a little for the 1st 3 seconds) after which it goes away. Additionally when i rev it, it hesitates, but when i punch it (car is not on road, parked unground, just put in lucas tune up in a botttle last night) and i punched it, picks up nice but still think it's lacking/hesitating. I believe it will need cats i will put it on for emissions
Old 05-18-12, 08:40 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

296km? Isnt that only like 150k miles? That's chump change for a 1UZ drivetrain.

I also don't see a point to rebuild anything unless it's broken.
Old 05-18-12, 08:46 PM
rogers2014
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
I am not understanding the connection...did you previously fail emission? Is the car running poorly?
Sry still a newb i replied to you in 3rd msg lol

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
296km? Isnt that only like 150k miles? That's chump change for a 1UZ drivetrain.

I also don't see a point to rebuild anything unless it's broken.
lol i just converted it it pretty much around 183miles on it, but i just need advice it's my first car but feel as if i don't know if i should get it rebuilt (which my dad wants to do) i have to change the oil, the coolant and all fluids. For oil what would you guys recommend? Mobil 1? Motul? Amsoil? RP? I went to a jdm shop thats very well known down here called Nextmod...they said motul is the best but i still need opinions from my lexus fam lol thanks guys!
Old 05-18-12, 09:17 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Shaking motor sounds like my stock motor mounts. Although I has a 2JZ, the mounts had entirely split in half and the motor was sitting in place by gravity alone. Take a look at yours. If not this, check for misfire codes.

These cars survive some really outrageous miles. There are MANY members exceeding the 300,000 and reaching the half a million mile mark. A rebuild is more likely overkill compared to a targeted approach and fixing what is truly broken.

Motul is overkill. The Blackstone reports I had from my VQ and LS2 were fantastic but Amsoil does just as well for me and doesn't cost nearly as much. Mobil 1 is junk for many years now. Royal Purple is also a very pricey but effective oil.

Welcome to the club.
Old 05-18-12, 09:39 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

I would find out what's really wrong and go from there. Word of advice, don't start throwing parts at it trying to get it running. Have it diagnosed...Also unless you are rebuilding it yourself, it would be smarter to dump yours for 800 and buy one in better running condition
Old 05-18-12, 09:49 PM
GamblerZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a rebuild might be premature, especially if you do not have any noticeable leaks or drips. It might be that your emissions and engine woes are the result of some tuning and maintenance that has been overlooked over time.

Does your oil smell like gas? Do you have smoke coming from the exhaust? These and other things you should eliminate BEFORE making any decision to rebuild. If you are not doing it yourself, it can get quite expensive in a hurry.
Old 05-19-12, 01:31 PM
rogers2014
Rookie

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Shaking motor sounds like my stock motor mounts. Although I has a 2JZ, the mounts had entirely split in half and the motor was sitting in place by gravity alone. Take a look at yours. If not this, check for misfire codes.

Intamazy...your right i did remember the guy saying the transmission mount needs to be changed, but what the hec if i change one might as well change em all eh? lol WOW NOOO WAY! gravity lol i have no CEL lights of any sorts, it just seems to me to be hesitating when i start it it starts up but when i rev it..it hesitates i think it's alot of factors, oil is done pitch black and is low, and i believe it needs all oils and fluids changed as well a reall tune up! Thanks man!!

These cars survive some really outrageous miles. There are MANY members exceeding the 300,000 and reaching the half a million mile mark. A rebuild is more likely overkill compared to a targeted approach and fixing what is truly broken.

Motul is overkill. The Blackstone reports I had from my VQ and LS2 were fantastic but Amsoil does just as well for me and doesn't cost nearly as much. Mobil 1 is junk for many years now. Royal Purple is also a very pricey but effective oil.

Welcome to the club.
Hey thanks so much man! Yeah i was telling my dad and he agreed...the rebuild is to extensive for now, but i will probably put in amsoil or RP... the most wierdest is.,.. down here in canada AMSOIL costs about 15bux a quart, @ part source, and 14. and change for RP quart, for a jug of Motul it is 50 flat! so whats your advice price wise? lol thanks man, i'm proud to be a sc400 owner!!!!

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
I would find out what's really wrong and go from there. Word of advice, don't start throwing parts at it trying to get it running. Have it diagnosed...Also unless you are rebuilding it yourself, it would be smarter to dump yours for 800 and buy one in better running condition
Hey i think its exactly what GamblerZ said, it's tuning and maintainence, best thing about the car is it doesn't have the dreaded CEL and i think i'm gunna invest in new oil, tranny oil, coolant, power steering fluid and give it a good cleanout (intake cleaner, seafoam etc)

thanks!

Originally Posted by GamblerZ
I think a rebuild might be premature, especially if you do not have any noticeable leaks or drips. It might be that your emissions and engine woes are the result of some tuning and maintenance that has been overlooked over time.

Does your oil smell like gas? Do you have smoke coming from the exhaust? These and other things you should eliminate BEFORE making any decision to rebuild. If you are not doing it yourself, it can get quite expensive in a hurry.

Hey GamblerZ! you are correct i do believe the person before me did not maintain the car well...ahh well i'll get her running back up to par! the oil seems low when i did check the dipstick, and it is BLACK...VERY BLACK it's supposed to be synthetic :S in your opinion i know with seafoam it's 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 i'm thinking of putting atleast 1/2 of the can in the crank case to clean up the lifters etc because i will need an oil change anyways, and put the other 1/2 in the gas tank. We actually put a whole can in the tank of our 08 civic and it made a MAJOR difference, so i may just pick up 2 cans for the sc400...it deserves it! Regarding the car, i've only seen it once ever, but will look again, when i do start it i remember one time it smoked for like 2 seconds very quick then was gone, DO you think it is a major issue? i believe all fluids need to be changed additionally, i think spark plugs and the cat has to be done as well cause boy does it STINK!!! lol

thanks!!!
Old 05-19-12, 09:10 PM
GamblerZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would change the oil BEFORE seafoaming. The reason I say this is you want to know everything is good before you possibly stir a hornets nest. While many might say that it is a waste of money, if you SeaFoam now and there are issues, you won't know for certain that the car was alright beforehand.

I just think you should take of the routine stuff first. If everything runs OK, then you can dig deeper.