SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Marcos SC400 weekend warrior

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-12, 06:34 PM
skirts
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so glad you did the ka trans. In for results!
Old 05-21-12, 07:05 PM
marcojdm
Rookie

Originally Posted by VileFCboy
Wow. Lots of efforts put on to this build.

I've only been in this forum for quite a short time, so I cant answer that.
But is a KA24 similar to the R154 as in withstanding the same amount of torque?
If we're talking higher numbers like over 400tq the r154 is the way to go. However if your planning to run a simple 1uz setup or you have an sc400 that you want to make 5 speed and don't want to spend a ton of money on a transmission then this is definately an option. Like I mentioned earlier the 1uz makes about as much power and tq as a lightly modded sr20 or ka-t and those motors/transmission gets abused all day especially with drifting. Brett is running a pro charged 1uz on a stock sr transmission(same as ka just different bellhousings) and uses the same clutch setup he offers in these kits.

Thanks guys I appreciate the good words! I cannot wait to drive and start hitting up some events!
Old 05-21-12, 07:20 PM
VileFCboy
Rookie

Originally Posted by marcojdm
If we're talking higher numbers like over 400tq the r154 is the way to go. However if your planning to run a simple 1uz setup or you have an sc400 that you want to make 5 speed and don't want to spend a ton of money on a transmission then this is definately an option. Like I mentioned earlier the 1uz makes about as much power and tq as a lightly modded sr20 or ka-t and those motors/transmission gets abused all day especially with drifting. Brett is running a pro charged 1uz on a stock sr transmission(same as ka just different bellhousings) and uses the same clutch setup he offers in these kits.

Thanks guys I appreciate the good words! I cannot wait to drive and start hitting up some events!
Thanks for the description. I have been collecting the necessary parts for my R154. But If I dont take the R154 route nor the W58, then this I might have to consider since it is a bit more torque friendly then the W58...based on your description.

Just keep updating this thread with your build marco!
Really stoked to see the results of this KA tranny.
Old 05-21-12, 07:30 PM
marcojdm
Rookie

Originally Posted by VileFCboy
Thanks for the description. I have been collecting the necessary parts for my R154. But If I dont take the R154 route nor the W58, then this I might have to consider since it is a bit more torque friendly then the W58...based on your description.

Just keep updating this thread with your build marco!
Really stoked to see the results of this KA tranny.
Thanks man!

For the price of the ka you really can't complain. I got my transmission in really good condition for $150.

But...just a little fun fact for you guys. This adapter plate is also compatible with the 350z 6 speed transmission as well. And depending on which one you get it can be the cost of the w58 but have the tq capabilities of the r154 and have the cool factor of six speed like the v160. Best of three worlds? Lol. At one point I will attempt the 6 speed swap. Just trying to get my name out there and take driving and drifting seriously and commit.

This weekend is going to be awesome! Haha
Old 05-21-12, 11:34 PM
DSOUN88
Rookie

wow good build man! keep it coming.
Old 05-21-12, 11:34 PM
DSOUN88
Rookie

i want to see the finish products and maybe some vids of it
Old 05-22-12, 04:28 AM
marcojdm
Rookie

Got a "deal" on a set of pedals. Out of a manual sc300. Manual brake pedal, clutch pedal, and clutch master cylinder for $300 shipped.....****s ridiculous

On all sc400's or auto sc300's there is a diamond shaped cutout on the foam padding that lines the inside firewall where the clutch pedal should go. You pull the foam piece out and there are 3 holes (2 small bolt holes and 1 big master cylinder hole in between) that you have to drill out. Once they are drilled out it'll match the master cylinder perfectly and you can bolt the entire pedal assembly to the firewall! My phone died so I couldn't take a picture. But here it is installed

The manual sc300 parts are WAYY overpriced so an alternative for a pedal and master cylinder are to find mk3 supra counterparts. They need a little extra modding but it's a hell of a lot cheaper if you can find them. Sry If I say stuff that is blatantly obvious to you Lexus guys. I'm just putting this build on a couple of forums and try to explain everything I do as well as possible.

Don't worry I'll have PLENTY of pics and vids once I get it done. We have a decent skid pad in front of the shop to do slower 1st and 2nd gear stuff.

At the moment all I'm waiting on is pay day on friday so I can get a 1 piece driveshaft and so my buddy can fab me a transmission and seat mount

Last edited by marcojdm; 05-22-12 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-22-12, 06:23 AM
silveradob
Driver School Candidate

im very impressed with this!! love your build!! how much how have you spend so far on the swap??
Old 05-22-12, 07:17 AM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Subscribed to this. I want to a a manual 400 and I think I found my route.
Old 05-22-12, 07:21 AM
marcojdm
Rookie

Originally Posted by silveradob
im very impressed with this!! love your build!! how much how have you spend so far on the swap??
I'm probably at around $1800 ballpark figure for everything I've needed to make it 5 speed. The full conversion kit, transmission, over priced pedal set, arp bolts, rear main seal and all the other little things that add up. That guesstimate also includes the driveshaft I've yet to get made which I'm assuming is around $350.

I've spent a lot more on the actual project however. I wasn't really keeping track till now. Fml lol
Old 05-22-12, 08:14 AM
maceugood
Pole Position

Subscribed! Cant wait to see end result. Good luck with rest of build.
Old 05-22-12, 08:41 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

OH, I'm diggin this!
Old 05-22-12, 08:58 AM
t4l
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Who would have thought! Ill be watching this one!

Did you hook that line going to the exhaust manifold back up? or just leave it loose?

Last edited by t4l; 05-22-12 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-22-12, 06:26 PM
VileFCboy
Rookie

Originally Posted by marcojdm
Thanks man!

For the price of the ka you really can't complain. I got my transmission in really good condition for $150.

But...just a little fun fact for you guys. This adapter plate is also compatible with the 350z 6 speed transmission as well. And depending on which one you get it can be the cost of the w58 but have the tq capabilities of the r154 and have the cool factor of six speed like the v160. Best of three worlds? Lol. At one point I will attempt the 6 speed swap. Just trying to get my name out there and take driving and drifting seriously and commit.

This weekend is going to be awesome! Haha
Wow for $150?? Rebuilt??

Oh and one more question. Is the KA24's speed sensor mechanical or electrical??
Old 05-23-12, 03:32 AM
marcojdm
Rookie

It's electrical. I'm going to try and wire it up once we get to that point

Quick Reply: Marcos SC400 weekend warrior