What are SC 400's really worth today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 10:41 AM
BlakOnBlak
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smuggler
Well let me clear some things up:
  • I'm a master mechanic, a shop owner, and a long time tuner. I've been active on many car owner communities. I've sponsored on some too, and to be bashed on just for asking a question is completely uncalled for. I see two good answers in two pages of responses, Getting new members started off with a bad taste in their mouth isn't helping anyone.
  • I ended up paying just over $900 for my SC 400. I got it with two other cars as part of a lot. It runs and drives and has very little I can find wrong with it other than the antenna is missing and a couple scratches on the front clip. I'll gladly sell it for $4000, which everyone agrees is what they are worth.
You didnt get bashed on for just asking a question Mr Smuggler It was your response to the answer "it's a Lexus"..which was " Thanks for that unhelpful and condescending reply ಠ_ಠ" which I think was completely uncalled for. Hard to believe a master mechanic doesnt know the value of the Lexus Sport Coupe Also hard to believe a master mechanic would compare an Acura Integra with a SC AND you dare call the SC an ugly duckling?? Good luck making friends dude
Old 06-07-12, 03:07 PM
5spd97
Pit Crew

I'll admit to being a little confused. You paid $3800 for a 78 vette and you don't understand four grand for a much higher quality, faster, more reliable luxury car that is 15 years younger? No offense but the 76-78 vette has got to rate as bottom of the barrel in the vette world and corvettes are not recognized as being high quality cars. I had a 78 RX7 with just over 100 hp that had a higher top end than the 78 corvette. I'm not beatin on you because you might be being serious but 4 grand doesn't buy much in car world.
Old 06-07-12, 03:19 PM
Justinkm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sluggo42
Jeepers,

I guess I overpaid for mine then when I paid $11.5 K for my 00.
I thought I got a good deal up until now...
$11.5K??
Must have been taken cared of like a baby..
Old 06-07-12, 03:21 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

Smuggler, as others have mentioned, for this *specific* Lexus (and probably also the GS300/GS400) it has such a close relation to the Supra MKIV in the entire chassis and extremely overbuilt engine that it is effectively a classic luxury muscle car. You simply cannot buy a $4k Integra and make it go to the performance levels that a $4k+ Lexus SC300/400 can.

These cars will never command Supra money but they aren't your average used luxury sports coupe by a long shot. They can be left stock and driven for half a million miles or they can be worked over with turbocharging or a Japan-market factory turbocharged engine swap and hang with domestic V8's. And even then they will accrue mileage like a Mercedes W123 and W124 and keep on going (with maintenance).

This is why the KBB values and actual real world values are skewed.
Old 06-07-12, 03:34 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

^^^well put Kahn

I think smuggler got the message.
Lexus=quality and plus the 400 hold the value a little more than the 300.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
wait till he finds out what MKIVs run for...... after all its just an old Toyota right? LOL at this thread. Guys like that is the reason these cars are so CHEAP.
Same treatment like an NSX.
Some people are wondering why it costs more than a corvette
Old 06-07-12, 06:27 PM
AMGWNAB
Rookie

Well let me clear some things up:
  • Am I a troll? No. I honest to God wondered why a SC 400 would be worth $4000. 93-ish Acura Integra coupes go for under $2k. I just bought a 78 Corvette for $3800. Yet the early 90's SC400, which I took to be an "ugly duckling" of a sports car pulls $4k+ all day long, so no I am not a troll but just had a real earnest question that I wanted answered.
  • I know next to nothing about Lexus cars and will admit it openly. Maybe the new member title, or the "1" post count might have hinted at that? The most I've done with a Toyota or Lexus is a trans rebuild on an 87 Supra last year and some custom electrical work on a 2007 Prius. Most of the time I work on domestic stuff so don't discount me because I don't know anything about Lexus. I know a damn lot about cars, just not Toyota per say.
  • When I asked why SC 400's pull $4k resale and the response I get is "It's a Lexus" is not helpful in any way. It is not a response I expected from a car community. If I walked into a Lexus dealership and asked them why a car I am considering buying is priced higher than what I thought the value to be, I really doubt they would tell me that it's just because it's a Lexus. Comparing it to an MKIV helps, because I know why those hold value but then saying "LOL at this thread." does nothing for the discussion.
  • I'm a master mechanic, a shop owner, and a long time tuner. I've been active on many car owner communities. I've sponsored on some too, and to be bashed on just for asking a question is completely uncalled for. I see two good answers in two pages of responses, Getting new members started off with a bad taste in their mouth isn't helping anyone.
  • I ended up paying just over $900 for my SC 400. I got it with two other cars as part of a lot. It runs and drives and has very little I can find wrong with it other than the antenna is missing and a couple scratches on the front clip. I'll gladly sell it for $4000, which everyone agrees is what they are worth.
I still say troll.....A good troll wouldn't hesitate to call themselves a master mechanic. I've never met a "history with domestics master mechanic" who referred to himself as a "tuner".

-Will
Old 06-07-12, 06:28 PM
AMGWNAB
Rookie

This person just joined and has 3 posts....two posts to stir the pot, and one to respond to the initial "troll" call out.

Troll.

-Will
Old 06-07-12, 07:28 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Justinkm
$11.5K??
Must have been taken cared of like a baby..
It's a 2000 SC400.... do you even have the slightest clue how rare those are? And we don't know when that car was purchased.... could've been a few years ago making it a steal actually. Even today, 2000 SC400's will pull that kind of money, low miles or not. Do your homework... it will prevent you from posting silly comments.
Old 06-09-12, 01:47 PM
BlakOnBlak
Driver

^ ^ ^

lol.. I have to agree with you on that.. 11.5k for a 2000 SC400 sounds about right. Those cars are worth that and more, especially when their in good condition (the interiors are flawless!)... IMO it was'nt a silly comment; more like a naive Statement
Old 07-27-12, 01:01 AM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

I'm looking at a 93 SC 400 and I don't believe the Kelly Blue Book valve for it is in the $4000 range. Are these cars really worth that much? I'm having a hard time understanding how they get such a premium price for being an older car. If the KBB price isn't accurate, just what would such a car go for today? Thanks in advance.
Here is a good explanation on choosing a SC:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...a-used-sc.html

Check out the amazing heritage of the SC. It was a car design way ahead of it's time:

http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html#001

Look here at the amazing following the SC has and the potential of our cars. We got ripped off here in the states because the ultimate SC is a Japan only model called the active UZZ32 with an active suspension and four wheel steering that helps the car stay flat around corners! & awesome handling!

http://planetsoarer.com/indexfull.html

The 1992 is now a classic 20 years old! These cars are becoming rarer everyday.

Here is a great resource on the spec and quantity of each year and model built for the US.

http://www.lexus.com/contact/model_s...ricing_sc.html

The SC has a timeless design. People think my SC is way newer than it really is all the time.

I did tons of research before making up my mind to buy my 1992 with 150,000 miles for $5000.00.
I have not regretted it once and plan to continue to restore her to a pristine state. I will never sell her and could care less what Kelly Blue Book says she is worth. I am currently rebuilding the AC system and new brakes on all four corners. Next will be wheels and tires, paint, rebuild cluster, upgrade the stereo, rebuild the front and back end suspension, and finish cleaning up the interior.

All that work will cost me probably 5X's what KBB says the car is worth!

Worth is relative. My SC is priceless to me. I love driving her and restoring her.

What more can I say!

The only thing I would consider trading her for is one of the only 324 SC400 built in 2000. It would have to be black on black! The chances of that happening? Slim to none!

Welcome to the club and I hope you fall in love with your SC too!

Last edited by SC400DAVE; 07-27-12 at 02:37 AM.
Old 07-27-12, 09:11 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

lots of interesting comments but ill respond to only a few.

a master mechanic, u own an sc and examined it, and u still compare it to an acura integra? u kind of deserve the snotty remarks uve been getting IMO

i think the sc is one of the most underpriced cars on the used market right now, i tell everyone i talk to thats looking for a car to grab one while u can.

if i was better off financially i could guarantee that i would have 2 or 3 sc's on the go at any given time due to the extremely low cost of them used.

to complain about 4 grand being too much when a honda civic goes for the same price,,.... , do your research and see how well built these cars are, they actually fall into the category of being 'over engineered'

and the ugly duckling of the sports car family? come on man now your just antagonizing us deliberately

(edit)a 2000 sc400 is extrememly rare , a true gem, in canada we only had access to 92-95 sc400's , so when a 2000 comes around the seller can basically ask what he/she wants

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 07-27-12 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-28-12, 10:50 PM
Havokk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE

Worth is relative. My SC is priceless to me. I love driving her and restoring her.

What more can I say!

The only thing I would consider trading her for is one of the only 324 SC400 built in 2000. It would have to be black on black! The chances of that happening? Slim to none!

just wanted to say and well put bud. it would be nice if more responses were this informative and helpful.
Old 07-29-12, 02:12 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AMGWNAB
This person just joined and has 3 posts....two posts to stir the pot, and one to respond to the initial "troll" call out.

Troll.

-Will
I still say troll.....A good troll wouldn't hesitate to call themselves a master mechanic. I've never met a "history with domestics master mechanic" who referred to himself as a "tuner".

-Will
Obvious troll is obvious.

New member, complaining that a car is worth a "whopping" $4K.

Either member is a troll or an extreme cheap ***.

I'm voting for troll

-Will
Originally Posted by baloyr
trollll trollltrollll trollltrollll trollltrollll trollltrollll trollltrollll trollltrollll trollltrollll trolll
hahaha lexus does hold their value pretty good but yea i think rarity has a lot to do with it and i also think that price depends on several factors not just kkb value..i mean think about 240's for instance..those things are junk old man and they used to sell for a grand more or less until drifting became main stream...now u cant even find a decent one for 3k range 1990 240sx..hahah which IMO is totally NOT worth it...
none of these 'troll' posts are appropriate....

like others have said the cars are reliable and to maintain them to stay that way costs a pretty penny sometimes so when you find one with around 150k miles with no parts replaced and dealer maintained its whole life AND it's still running strong; $4k isn't asking much.
Old 07-29-12, 09:07 AM
HEWJsc4
Pole Position

4k for a Lexus is expensive? When my car rolled off the lot its price was 57k, In my opinion SCs are priced too low now, I'm not complaining, I just feel the price for used SCs does not reflect the quality and reliability of these cars. My theory is that since these vehicles ARE so reliable the examples for sale usually have an ungodly amount of miles, bringing down the value. With so many still on the road with so many miles, the result is a lot of cheap hi mileage cars.

oh-man i think i was just trolled.

bye
Old 07-29-12, 10:43 AM
95TEALSC3
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...a-used-sc.html

Check out the amazing heritage of the SC. It was a car design way ahead of it's time:

http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html#001

Look here at the amazing following the SC has and the potential of our cars. We got ripped off here in the states because the ultimate SC is a Japan only model called the active UZZ32 with an active suspension and four wheel steering that helps the car stay flat around corners! & awesome handling!

http://planetsoarer.com/indexfull.html

The 1992 is now a classic 20 years old! These cars are becoming rarer everyday.

Here is a great resource on the spec and quantity of each year and model built for the US.

http://www.lexus.com/contact/model_s...ricing_sc.html

The SC has a timeless design. People think my SC is way newer than it really is all the time.

I did tons of research before making up my mind to buy my 1992 with 150,000 miles for $5000.00.
I have not regretted it once and plan to continue to restore her to a pristine state. I will never sell her and could care less what Kelly Blue Book says she is worth. I am currently rebuilding the AC system and new brakes on all four corners. Next will be wheels and tires, paint, rebuild cluster, upgrade the stereo, rebuild the front and back end suspension, and finish cleaning up the interior.

All that work will cost me probably 5X's what KBB says the car is worth!

What more can I say!

\Golfclap well done

Quick Reply: What are SC 400's really worth today?