SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How far will car run w/o alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-02, 01:15 PM
dale88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far will car run w/o alternator?

Looks like I have the dreaded power steering pump takes out the alternator problem. I am taking the car to the dealership tomorrow...any idea how far the car will go with a toasted alternator? Dealer is about 5 miles away.
Old 11-11-02, 01:25 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

not very far .. have someone follow you, and jumpstart + let charge if you die..
Old 11-11-02, 01:42 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by mjames08
not very far .. have someone follow you, and jumpstart + let charge if you die..
Nothing will charge if your altenator is toast. Have it towed there, unless you plan on charging your battery with a battery charger before your trip.
Old 11-11-02, 02:28 PM
henrynguyen
Driver

Thumbs up it should run

without the alternator, the car should run untill your battery drain.
at least couple hrs
Old 11-11-02, 02:57 PM
MikeM
Driver School Candidate

If the battery is in good condition it should make five miles. I had three alternators go out on my Bonneville. With a weak battery you won't make it more than one mile. I recommend a tow.
Old 11-11-02, 04:26 PM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well i had the same problem last week and i jus replaced my power steering pump and the altenator for the second time. I drove my car a pretty far distance (almost like 24 miles) w/o an altenator. Just make sure you dont have ur radio on, A/C blowing or the head lights on and you should stay in good shape. I'd still recomend having a friend following b/c u never know.

Khang
Old 11-11-02, 06:17 PM
jalex
Driver School Candidate

Cool

For those of you who have had the power steering pump problem, what does it sound like? I'm hearing a soft high pitched whirring that I don't know if I should be worried about.
Old 11-11-02, 09:42 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: it should run

Originally posted by henrynguyen
without the alternator, the car should run untill your battery drain.
at least couple hrs
A couple of hours????... firing the spark plugs, injectors, fuel pump, Ecu, instruments, sensors, etc on just the battery for hours.....right...unplug your alternator and try it.
Old 11-11-02, 09:48 PM
MikeM
Driver School Candidate

Let usd know your results
Old 11-12-02, 12:38 AM
markmaz
Driver School Candidate

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm not a technical "kind" of guy...

What telltale signs, if any, are there to see that your water pump is starting to go bad, leak, etc.

Our mechanic has the car right now while replacing some kind of gasket that is leaking at the back of the engine (block?), so could I simply ask him to take a look, or does he need to disassemble something to know for sure?
Old 11-12-02, 01:19 PM
dale88
Driver School Candidate

Default whew

I made it with no issues! Really sucks when you know at any minute your car can die in the middle of rush hour traffic. My battery is about 2 yrs old, so I guess there's enough juice to go 5 miles. I did turn off everything I could...even used the brakes as little as possible. Anyone with over 100k on their cars should monitor the power steering pump closely...alternators are outrageoulsy expensive on these cars. :eek: It's about time to change the timing belt/water pump as well. This is going to put a sizeable dent in the pocketbook. Looks like the family is getting christmas cards this year.
Old 11-12-02, 06:57 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default This actually happened to me

while I was on my then 50 mile comute to work, my alternator gave out WHILE I was on the high way. My power functions in the car started to turn off. The car was still running..but the skid control was out...lights were out..stereo was out..and everything was flashing.

Pretty scarey going 55mph w/that going on. I managed to turn the car around and head to my installer w/in 30 min..but I was sweating the whole way..trying to get there w/out the car stopping on the high way.

When I got there, he told me my batter(which was a BRAND new one) bore the brunt of the alternator giving out and had crystalized. THe battery was shot.

So I had a double whammy. Replace the battery AND the alternator.

W/you are running 800 watts of stereo, dvd player, 2 sets of HID ballasts all at the same time...it kind stresses that car out. =)
Old 11-12-02, 10:25 PM
henrynguyen
Driver

Default Re: Re: it should run

Originally posted by sc300tt

A couple of hours????... firing the spark plugs, injectors, fuel pump, Ecu, instruments, sensors, etc on just the battery for hours.....right...unplug your alternator and try it.
I drove my Supra from San Diego to LA at night with head light on without any problem. I can also turn my my stereo system on all day without running out of battery. I have no idea why the car cannot make it for couple hrs. It is also depend on your CCA. Some battery won't last long.
Old 11-12-02, 11:53 PM
ToyoBeastly
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

when my alternator went out, i made it about 3miles to my house off of a jump start and it was a damn weak battery, with a strong one and a jump, 5 miles shouldnt be a problem, just keep the instruments at minimal use (lights off, radio off, etc..)
Old 11-13-02, 12:44 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Default Re: This actually happened to me

Originally posted by Anthracite SC
while I was on my then 50 mile comute to work, my alternator gave out WHILE I was on the high way. My power functions in the car started to turn off. The car was still running..but the skid control was out...lights were out..stereo was out..and everything was flashing.
You have skid control? TRAC?

Quick Reply: How far will car run w/o alternator?