SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just Got SC400. And im thinking of getting rid of it. PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-12, 03:20 PM
devinb30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Got SC400. And im thinking of getting rid of it. PLEASE HELP!!

1993 SC400 Auto 172k miles. STOCK

Ok guys im new to the SC400. I currently have a G37. And i bought this SC400, because modifying the infiniti is really expensive and hard to find parts. Plus i been putting on too much mileage. So i decided to buy this SC as a nice clean daily driver.

any ways when i bought the SC400. It drove like a dream!!! literally. No Check engine lights, No sputtering, Smooth Shifting. Motor ran just as quiet as a new car should. I loved it!

But now after owning the car for 3 days

-The car starts up and drives perfect. But after the car has been driving for a while and gets hot, it stalls. ( meaning i would be driving and when i get to a stop it turns off????)

When i start it back up the car Runs HORRIBLE!! It starts misfiring the check engine light blinks as the car misfires and i can barley get it to go past 20MPH.

So if i let the car sit for about 10 minutes, and start it back up it drives perfect again! (no rough idling, no misfiring, no check engine light ETC..)

So far ive done so much research and cant figure it out. PLEASE HELP!

Ive done the following so far:
-Replaced MAFS ,
-12V mod for fuel pump ecu
-Removed CAT

Any suggestions would help.. or anyone who has this problem lets figure this out together. Ive done a wide variety or research and cant find anyone who can give a straight up answer for this.

Last edited by devinb30; 06-30-12 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Sorry car was a 1993 not 1992
Old 06-29-12, 04:02 PM
rogers2014
Rookie

Talking

Originally Posted by devinb30
1992 SC400 Auto 172k miles. STOCK

Ok guys im new to the SC400. I currently have a G37. And i bought this SC400, because modifying the infiniti is really expensive and hard to find parts. Plus i been putting on too much mileage. So i decided to buy this SC as a nice clean daily driver.

any ways when i bought the SC400. It drove like a dream!!! literally. No Check engine lights, No sputtering, Smooth Shifting. Motor ran just as quiet as a new car should. I loved it!

But now after owning the car for 3 days

-The car starts up and drives perfect. But after the car has been driving for a while and gets hot, it stalls. ( meaning i would be driving and when i get to a stop it turns off????)

When i start it back up the car Runs HORRIBLE!! It starts misfiring the check engine light blinks as the car misfires and i can barley get it to go past 20MPH.

So if i let the car sit for about 10 minutes, and start it back up it drives perfect again! (no rough idling, no misfiring, no check engine light ETC..)

So far ive done so much research and cant figure it out. PLEASE HELP!

Ive done the following so far:
-Replaced MAFS ,
-12V mod for fuel pump ecu
-Removed CAT

Any suggestions would help.. or anyone who has this problem lets figure this out together. Ive done a wide variety or research and cant find anyone who can give a straight up answer for this.

Man sorry to hear that, it sucks i was in a position today and a few days ago where i thought i had to give up my baby (my first car) my car has 296k km and it hesitates but thats because i'm still doing maintainence on it. Well, from what i'm seeing you have a CEL? did you pull the code? can you describe if it blinks/the blink pattern you can diagnose it online here by the amount of blink ie 4x in a row stops then 4x again etc so you can try that also would advise you to check your thermostate it seems your car is overheating? also did you check your 2 coils
packs? one is by the rad and one is by the driver side, how to test it plug one out, and start her if she cranks and wants to start that coil is good, now unplug that one and plug in the other one, if the engine doesn want to start (it wont start but should feel like it wants to) or doesn't even crank you have a bad coil. Remember, 2 coils...8 cyclinders...1 coil controls 4 cylinders the other controls the other 4. Try that and tell me how it works i'm sure some of our fellow peeps on here will help out!
Old 06-29-12, 04:03 PM
rogers2014
Rookie

Also...i would def check your ECU open it up...if u have bad capacitors problem solved, it seems like ECU is a definate problem here all the symptoms are there, anyone agree? just cosign!
Old 06-29-12, 04:25 PM
BlakOnBlak
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks man.. where did you get the car? I would go back to the source.
On a side note; I know a guy that had a Supra MKIII (1jzgte) with a similar problem.. his fuel tank had some rust / sludge in it. I think I remember him swaping tanks, and also changing the fuel filter to get it running right. Just my 2 cents... OR find a shop that specializes in Toyotas and get a diagnostic. There should be plenty in Florida, depending what part your in. I dont think you should get rid of it. When I first bought my 92 it wasnt running right either. After a lil research and testing, the car is running great and Im so glad I didnt give up on it... that makes 3 cents
Old 06-29-12, 06:31 PM
LEXZILLA
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

hey buddy dont sell your whip
get a engine ecu and a fuel ecu
from aliga
i did cured ALL my problems!!!!
Old 06-29-12, 07:24 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

its a 92 dude stop trippin....first check for cracks in hoses under the hood use carb cleaner and spray around the whole motor while the car is running if the car doesnt react at all get O2 sensers if that doesnt work get your ECU rebuilt do not get a used original ECU unless its been rebuilt ....dont even bother with the fuel ECU just the main its located under the passenger carpet it has a panel over it

Last edited by SexCoupe; 06-29-12 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-29-12, 07:54 PM
funcdocta
Driver School Candidate

Im not a mechanic but sounds like a thermostat problem I had a similar problem was a different vehicle but the car ran hot and shut down and cranked back up and it actually sounded like the engine was having a heart attack sputtering misfiring it just basically sounded like I really messed something up. An older timer came along and told me some engines do that when they run hot and said leave it and come back later and drive it home. Waited till next day drove home with no problem. Changed the thermostat and haven't had a problem since. J
Old 06-29-12, 08:20 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

i dont think he meens hot as in overheating i "think" he meens when it gets to operating temperature
Old 06-30-12, 06:34 AM
devinb30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rogers2014
Man sorry to hear that, it sucks i was in a position today and a few days ago where i thought i had to give up my baby (my first car) my car has 296k km and it hesitates but thats because i'm still doing maintainence on it. Well, from what i'm seeing you have a CEL? did you pull the code? can you describe if it blinks/the blink pattern you can diagnose it online here by the amount of blink ie 4x in a row stops then 4x again etc so you can try that also would advise you to check your thermostate it seems your car is overheating? also did you check your 2 coils
packs? one is by the rad and one is by the driver side, how to test it plug one out, and start her if she cranks and wants to start that coil is good, now unplug that one and plug in the other one, if the engine doesn want to start (it wont start but should feel like it wants to) or doesn't even crank you have a bad coil. Remember, 2 coils...8 cyclinders...1 coil controls 4 cylinders the other controls the other 4. Try that and tell me how it works i'm sure some of our fellow peeps on here will help out!
The problem with pulling the code is, the check engine light only comes on when i start the car back up. And its blinking with the car as its sputtering. So it doesint stay on long enough to pull the code. But im definitely gonna give it a try any ways.
Old 06-30-12, 06:36 AM
devinb30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rogers2014
Also...i would def check your ECU open it up...if u have bad capacitors problem solved, it seems like ECU is a definate problem here all the symptoms are there, anyone agree? just cosign!

How would i know if the capacitor is bad? Im gonna do more research on this.
Since im here relplying ill just ask.

If it is my ECU should i take it to some where to get the capacitor fixed or something?
What should i be looking for corrosion? Melted?
Old 06-30-12, 06:37 AM
devinb30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlakOnBlak
That sucks man.. where did you get the car? I would go back to the source.
On a side note; I know a guy that had a Supra MKIII (1jzgte) with a similar problem.. his fuel tank had some rust / sludge in it. I think I remember him swaping tanks, and also changing the fuel filter to get it running right. Just my 2 cents... OR find a shop that specializes in Toyotas and get a diagnostic. There should be plenty in Florida, depending what part your in. I dont think you should get rid of it. When I first bought my 92 it wasnt running right either. After a lil research and testing, the car is running great and Im so glad I didnt give up on it... that makes 3 cents

thanks man im doing the fuel filter today. I looked at it yesterday and looks old.
Old 06-30-12, 06:39 AM
devinb30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LEXZILLA
hey buddy dont sell your whip
get a engine ecu and a fuel ecu
from aliga
i did cured ALL my problems!!!!
Thanks man.. Gives me hope..

Where did you get your ECU from? Local junk yard like LKQ?
or did you order a new one?
Old 06-30-12, 06:41 AM
devinb30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by funcdocta
Im not a mechanic but sounds like a thermostat problem I had a similar problem was a different vehicle but the car ran hot and shut down and cranked back up and it actually sounded like the engine was having a heart attack sputtering misfiring it just basically sounded like I really messed something up. An older timer came along and told me some engines do that when they run hot and said leave it and come back later and drive it home. Waited till next day drove home with no problem. Changed the thermostat and haven't had a problem since. J
Seems like the same description as my car problem, Except my car isint overheating.
but you know a thermostat is a cheap part and im gonna try replacing ECU first and then the fuel filter. Thanks for you input man.
Old 06-30-12, 07:19 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SexCoupe
its a 92 dude stop trippin....first check for cracks in hoses under the hood use carb cleaner and spray around the whole motor while the car is running if the car doesnt react at all get O2 sensers if that doesnt work get your ECU rebuilt do not get a used original ECU unless its been rebuilt ....dont even bother with the fuel ECU just the main its located under the passenger carpet it has a panel over it
This. It sounds like an O2 sensor mang
Old 06-30-12, 10:42 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ecu rebuild. these guys did mine for $250-300, cant remember, and my cars been fine ever since... just had the motor replaced and the ecu is still going strong.

i was having similar problems except my car just finally died on me, got the ecu rebuilt and it ran perfect until my motor blew (purely my fault nothing to do with ecu) haha

Quick Reply: Just Got SC400. And im thinking of getting rid of it. PLEASE HELP!!