SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Questions for all members who are "slammed"

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 10:11 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickyT
wow this is the look i want... is that a 97 bodykit all around and 18's? could i also ask tire sizes (275/40/18, etc)

thanks
thats no a stock body its a a/c/shine kit and those look like 19s
Old 07-10-12, 11:45 AM
moosejaw2
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by menty
Or you could just not slam it?
I clear everything fine. Looks low but not an impractical low

Im exactly your height......
Roads here in florida are built by idiots who cant figure out elevations.
Plus the soil here is so weak that within a year roads are sinking.
Its when roads sink and the civil structures in the road stay in place due to structural reinforcing.
Most cars dont notice this as they are not as long in the nose as the SC.
So all the time im hitting road elevation changes that are easily over 1.25" to 1.5" on the highway and on the street
Thus I scrape everywhere i go.
Old 07-10-12, 11:53 AM
KcKouki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys scrape at that height?

I mean mines bad, but not THAT bad, I couldnt imagine you guys scraping at that height?
Old 07-10-12, 12:57 PM
silverAg
Rookie

Menty's car shows a good stance without scrapping a lot!
Old 07-10-12, 03:12 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use megan coilovers (32 way adjustable) with a uas convoluted air bag to replace the spring. The so i drive crazy low but dont scrap or bottom out due to the rebound rate of the megans. When i see super crappy roads and large steep driveways i fully inflate and still go at an angle.

If you wanna be low and not eat through front bumpers then I would go with an oem 97+ kit and maybe a scrape guard or lip. The oem bumpers are much much much more durable than any body kit out there.

Or go AIR...lol
Old 07-10-12, 06:09 PM
ItsMiles
Driver

Originally Posted by menty
Or you could just not slam it?
I clear everything fine. Looks low but not an impractical low

This is actually my ride height right here... Except with the vertical kit...
I guess from what everyone is saying, it really is just the body kit that makes it harder to work with.
Old 07-10-12, 06:12 PM
ItsMiles
Driver

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
I use megan coilovers (32 way adjustable) with a uas convoluted air bag to replace the spring. The so i drive crazy low but dont scrap or bottom out due to the rebound rate of the megans. When i see super crappy roads and large steep driveways i fully inflate and still go at an angle.

If you wanna be low and not eat through front bumpers then I would go with an oem 97+ kit and maybe a scrape guard or lip. The oem bumpers are much much much more durable than any body kit out there.

Or go AIR...lol
That's the setup I wanted to go with as well. I have the Megan's too. How much were the bags? And how was the modification for the bags an compressor?
Old 07-10-12, 06:12 PM
matzinm2
Driver School Candidate

I have yellowspeed coils all the way low. Yellowspeed I had never heard of before but the ride is SO comfy! I am of the "OEM and clean" school so just have an SC4 lip right now, eventually getting just a VIP lip, nothing else. I would say the one thing I try to avoid is pitching up on three wheels in sharp driveways. Not having an LSD really kills, you don't want to get stuck! Besides that when parking just make sure you know how big of speed bumps your car can handle (if any) and always remember, when in doubt go the long way around.

I'd stick pictures here but it's not uploading. I'll throw some on later tonight
Old 07-10-12, 06:29 PM
matzinm2
Driver School Candidate

Here ya go
Old 07-10-12, 07:22 PM
ItsMiles
Driver

Love that color
Ride height looks great as well...

So since it looks like everyone agrees that a body kit will not allow you to slam your car all the way without running into greater problems compared to a stock body.. Here's another question.

I have Megan coil overs, the EZ streets. I have 16way adjustables. I noticed that they are still a bit too soft and I end up rubbing fender and tire on bumpy roads. Mind you I still need to get my fenders pulled, but my question is that if I use those rubber spacers that alot of truck guys use, do any of you think it'll help stiffen the springs enough so that they won't bounce around too much? My cousin is doing this on his IS300 with same suspension, but was wondering if the weight of the SC might change this idea a bit
Old 07-10-12, 09:02 PM
ZachTriggs
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-5.5 front -4.5 rear camber
18x9.5 +15 (25mm spacer) 215/35/18

Only major problem I've run into with being this low is lane dividers hitting my subframe and eventually cracking it and them hitting the bottom mount of the rack and pinion cause it to stress out and break. When I replaced my subframe I neglected to replace my motor mounts which led to the motor sinking down and the upper oil pan was basically sitting on the power steering rack and slowly made cracks all through it.

Main problem I've had driving is getting suck due to the open diff, if I had an LSD i'd be good to go! haha and I have to go over four pretty gnarly speed bumps coming in and out of work everyday.

Its tucking in the rear now btw
Old 07-10-12, 10:42 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matzinm2
I would say the one thing I try to avoid is pitching up on three wheels in sharp driveways. Not having an LSD really kills, you don't want to get stuck!
This right here is a huge problem. I pulled into an office building with an incredibly steep driveway to get out. I didn't scrape because I took a pretty crazy angle in and out, but I nearly got stuck on my way out with one wheel in the air. Was worried I'd roll backwards and get stuck but I was going fast enough to barely make it out.

Other than that, pay attention to the nose of the car, it's extremely long, and I tend to back into spots with a curb, or lip to watch out for, as my back is higher, and oddly enough, you are closer to the back in the driver seat than you are to the front. There are many driveways you simply can't get into, there are many people you'll **** off creeping through stoplights when they are behind you, an many times you'll have to simply take the long way to avoid damage. If you are following people somewhere an they don't understand your situation, prepare to get left behind at every railroad crossing, intersection an speed bump.

So long as you are careful, understand how to use angles when approaching changes in elevation, and don't mind scraping every now and then yo should be okay. Just understand that with a lower an stiffer suspension you will find yourself on 3 wheels every now and again, make sure you are aware of that with people behind you.

I'm only kit low, and not frame low, so my problems are completely different form the guys who are frame low.
Old 07-10-12, 10:48 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I wish I had LSD too. I always worry about getting stuck when I have to angle for driveways ect.
Old 07-11-12, 02:15 AM
PeteSoarer
Driver

I have welded differential and lots of camber (maybe -7-8 degrees) in rear so it helps getting through/over bumps etc. The camber helps turning with welded diff because tires have not so much contact with the ground.

Last edited by PeteSoarer; 07-11-12 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-11-12, 03:58 AM
menty
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MDSC
thats no a stock body its a a/c/shine kit and those look like 19s
Correct

AC kit, 19s

Quick Reply: Questions for all members who are "slammed"