SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Questions for all members who are "slammed"

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-12, 05:16 PM
ItsMiles
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for all members who are "slammed"

i have a few curious questions for alot of you slammed city/stance nation people lol...
first i'd like to start off by saying that i love our cars, everything about them. i love what almost every member on this forum has done to them. i really would like my car to match up to most of the member's SCs on here. they are so dope! i give everyone props on their swaps, drops, builds, everything. but id have to admit, i give the biggest props to all the members who are riding SOOO dirty with their cars scraping the road. (also big props to all the boosted members.. i miss turbo so much)
ok but now to my questions...
more specifically for those who are on static suspension...

to fulfill my inquisitions id like to ask a list of questions that i'd really appreciate to be answered.

1) Daily driven?
2) stock body or body kit?
3) wheel specs? camber/toe/caster info?
4) what are the major problems YOU run into driving a car so low (not talking about the general problems like tire wear or anything like that, i mean for example, youre driving your car, what are you being careful around? a certain street? certain driveway?
5) how do YOU specifically avoid these major problems?

i ask these questions because this is the first time i have went with a body kit on any car i've modded... i usually slam my car on stock body, and i usually have a shorter car. the SC, with its long front end, and now even longer front end with this vertex kit, i find myself scraping on driveways that i really thought i'd clear. and what makes it worse, im hardly what many members on here would call "slammed".

i'd like to see these questions answered just so i could get a feel on how a lot of our members get around with their cars looking so clean and low, without digging into a lowered car's worst enemies; tall and thin speed bumps, those extra steep and narrow driveways, extra high yellow reflectors on the road, and last but not least... those driveways that have an extra dip when you get to the bottom.
Old 07-09-12, 05:30 PM
KcKouki
Driver School Candidate

Slow. Angles. I come from 240's, and SC's are SO much longer, speed bumps are no go, stay in the fast lane on interstates, to the sides of roads wear they crease, etc.

Avoid what you can, memorize the roads, take other roads if you know they are bad. Bang frame. It's somthing you'll get use to and learn to deal with.

Ignore current suken battleship spec, ive had the car about a month. Just slammed on PBM coils so far, waiting on wheels.

Edit: I don't even park in the driveway anymore.. To many scratches already. Haha

Last edited by KcKouki; 07-09-12 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-09-12, 06:01 PM
Conwest
Rookie

get stiff coils or you're gonna rub at full lock hitting the smallest bumps trying to be "slammed". Avoid speed bumps and go SLOW over railroad tracks and other bs. Watch out for sudden dips in the road especially on the highway. KNOW YOUR ROADS.....and clear stuff at angles. thats all
Old 07-09-12, 06:12 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't put a body kit and slam it on coils with sc huge front overhang you will def destroy front bumper and probably the sideskirts too
Old 07-09-12, 06:21 PM
moosejaw2
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude my car looks low but i actually clear parking curbs with no problem as long as there is no rebar sticking out
But i do have to watch out for dips on highways.
Manholes,drainage structures are always a problem since they tend to stay in place while the rest of road sags around of them due to a poor limerock stabilized base.
Concrete/Asphalt transitions are a issue too.

Just due to the design of the car. My E55 is lowered more but i suffer no where near the problems the SC has.
Old 07-09-12, 06:42 PM
ItsMiles
Driver

Originally Posted by moosejaw2
Dude my car looks low but i actually clear parking curbs with no problem as long as there is no rebar sticking out
But i do have to watch out for dips on highways.
Manholes,drainage structures are always a problem since they tend to stay in place while the rest of road sags around of them due to a poor limerock stabilized base.
Concrete/Asphalt transitions are a issue too.

Just due to the design of the car. My E55 is lowered more but i suffer no where near the problems the SC has.
my E55 is slammed as well... but i guess since its stock body, it doesnt suffer as much as my long nose SC.
Old 07-09-12, 07:20 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

WHY!! i thought people bought these cars for comfort! buy a is300.
Old 07-09-12, 09:27 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are wanting to "slam" you car. Keep it stock body with maybe a front lip. Kits sit way too low on SC's if they car is actually low. You will have ugly wheel gap with a huge kit. I daily mine no problem and take it to Cali. And its still very comfortable. Stock suspension felt waaayyyyyy too soft.
Old 07-09-12, 09:44 PM
PeteSoarer
Driver

On static there's no way you can for example put a Vertex kit on this car and driving it slammed without destroying it.

I don't know what is real slammed height, but my OEM pre97 front lip scrapes on most of the speed bumps and i test fitted a copy Vertex sides and there's only a 1,5cm clearance to ground. I have to modify them if i want to keep the lowness.

Last edited by PeteSoarer; 07-09-12 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-10-12, 12:22 AM
ItsMiles
Driver

What you mean modify???
Old 07-10-12, 03:57 AM
LameSC300
Pole Position

Haha this is my first "slammed" car its dropped on pbms and those things go low. I think thats what kckouki is on (looks good man!) But like stated above just know your roads and with nose I have to avoid certain driveways.
Old 07-10-12, 03:58 AM
menty
Lead Lap

Or you could just not slam it?
I clear everything fine. Looks low but not an impractical low

Old 07-10-12, 04:00 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteSoarer
On static there's no way you can for example put a Vertex kit on this car and driving it slammed without destroying it.

I don't know what is real slammed height, but my OEM pre97 front lip scrapes on most of the speed bumps and i test fitted a copy Vertex sides and there's only a 1,5cm clearance to ground. I have to modify them if i want to keep the lowness.

Slammed to me is where there absolutely no tire , this is about how low I ride on air any lower then that and I'm scraping front bumper on everything
Old 07-10-12, 04:56 AM
TrickyT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by menty
Or you could just not slam it?
I clear everything fine. Looks low but not an impractical low

wow this is the look i want... is that a 97 bodykit all around and 18's? could i also ask tire sizes (275/40/18, etc)

thanks
Old 07-10-12, 08:19 AM
PeteSoarer
Driver

Originally Posted by ItsMiles
What you mean modify???
Cutting material off the side skirts so it sits higher from the ground.

Quick Reply: Questions for all members who are "slammed"