SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is a 2001 IS300 a worthy trade for a 97 SC400???

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-02, 03:29 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Is a 2001 IS300 a worthy trade for a 97 SC400???

What do you SC owners think about IS300's??

Could you see yourself driving one of those??

Modability of an IS vs SC?? Is it enough to justify a move like that. When I had the IS loaner,... I was liking it,... I didn't like having 4 doors and the visibility wasn't the same,...but it handled nicely and seemed alright,... but not nearly as comfortable IMO as the plush leather of the SC.

What are ya'lls thoughts???
Old 11-14-02, 04:06 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd stick with the SC

the IS is fun as hell to drive, but its kinda.. like... Lexus's Civic...

the SC is more exclusive, something I value very much! and the design of the SC, especially the 97s and up is classic, the IS is more trendy.

In ten years, I'd rather have my SC400 than a 2001 IS

not to bag on the IS guys, if I didnt have my Maxima, the IS would be perfect
Old 11-14-02, 06:27 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Totally agreed. What do you gain out of an IS? 4 years and thats it. You get a car that are like a dime a dozen, and is slower than the sc4. If it were a GS, that would be a different story.
Old 11-14-02, 06:41 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Default i thought about that too...

A GS4 is kinda funky,... but it seems a lil bit bigger and bulky than I'd like,... even that thing smokes some rubber even in it's stock format.

The only reason I bought the SC4 was for the V8 and the look of a sports coupe,... it looks interesting, and somewhat exotic,.. it's just the lack of reasonable options drives me nuts,... I swore after my N/A Z,... I was never gonna buy another car that was damn near impossible to mod,... and what tha hell did i get???

I might just stick to plan A,... keep rollin' the SC4 until I find a NSX I can afford, sell and buy.
Old 11-14-02, 07:07 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

if you're willing to spend money, 6spd tranny and a twin turbo arent far away

I know a few shops in Texas more than willing to do custom work

and besides, the SC400 doesnt have to be fast to be nice, a Civic has to be REALLY quick to be cool
Old 11-15-02, 12:28 AM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going from an SC to an IS is like going to opposite ends of the spectrum. The SC is regarded as THE top-of-the-line Lexus, whereas the IS is Lexus's entry-level model, below the ES300. The IS was brought to the US aimed at the buyers who were growing out of their Honda Civics, thus, the styling.

I don't know about you, but the IS feels cheap and light. The driving position reminded me of an Accord. I personally know a couple people who went in to buy an IS and ended up buying a used SC instead.

It's usually not a good point, but a point nonetheless ... just look at the pricing. A new IS300 starts at approximately $32k. A three-year-old SC will run you almost the same price. "You get what you pay for!"
Old 11-15-02, 01:15 AM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just sat in an IS at a car show, and I think it's a real nice little car. Youthful styling, yeah, but nicely done, great Toyota fit & finish as usual, clean engine bay, I bet it's nimble and fun to drive.

But it's LITTLE. It may be a move up from a Civic, but it's tight for a big guy. Driver's seat was too narrow. Shoulder room tight - two big guys in front would be a real carful.

It seemed smaller than the BMW 3series, Passat/A4, C class, all its competitors - while the SC is a BIG car, heavy, solid, good interior volume for a coupe, long wheelbase - I parked my SC4 next to a BMW 635i today, and the two cars are virtually the same size - I always considered the 6 to be a big coupe.

No way would I give up my SC for an IS - or for an SC430, for that matter.
Old 11-15-02, 10:27 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be priced at the ES300 level, but the IS has better hardware in the driveline and suspension -- but mainly the 2JZ and its benefits. The ES uses an inferior V-6 and many cheap Camry bits and peices for the driveline. It seems like they put more money in the ES interior, though.
Old 11-15-02, 10:28 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

All very valid points,... and the more I thought about, the more I concluded the same,.... I think I had a flash of "affordable turbo" on the brain!!
Old 11-15-02, 12:47 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Maybe those guys in Australia will sell a supercharger kit soon!!! An Eaton supercharger system should be 20-40% less than a turbosystem. Don't get me wrong, I am a big turbo buff but from a cost and effort basis the blower would deliver some exciting driving!
Old 11-15-02, 09:32 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

NAZTY97;

Take yourself out back with a lump of 6x4 (hard wood or steel section) and beat yourself many times about the head, after each strike say the following,

"I must be a real **** to compare my SC with an IS"

You should repeat this till until you are convinced or get concussion.
Old 11-16-02, 10:52 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Default ha!! already did,.....

no,...I knew there was no comparison vehicle to vehicle per'se, what I was wondering, was it good enough of a vehicle, that after the reasonably priced forced induction option was added, a nice set of wheels/brakes/tires, my existing audio system,... could that have been justified,... and I'm thinkin' not,.. and I don't think anyone else has thought so. It was more "fun" to drive,... but not nearly as comfortable or as nice,...I can feel the power difference between the two,... HOWEVER, the IS300 felt a world more responsive in handling and definately more responsive to throttle.
Old 11-16-02, 03:31 PM
legendary
Racer

well, have you considered the Area51 kit?
definitely keep your SC...not to sound big headed, but the guys at the CL meet were really digging the SC...and its stock.....kind of in awe.....(referring to the IS guys), and still felt a nice kind of respect from the GS guys...put a blower on that coupe and make it hot
Old 11-17-02, 09:32 PM
machinegt
Pole Position

i test drove an is300 eshift while my sc4 was in getting
maintenance, (oh no i commited adultery on my sc4!)

the is300 is definately sharper in feel, but it is tiny
and shriveled up looking, flooring it did not give the
same sensation as flooring a V8.

the is300 is ok, but it trading a sc4 for it would be like
trading in a playboy model for a sears catalog model,
no thanks! i'll stick with my sc400.
Old 11-17-02, 09:56 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

I think the IS300 is a great car, infact, I had one ordered when I finally stumbled across my current SC3. I went up to the dealer after I got a call that "your IS just came off the truck and should be ready tomorrow" Well, being the impatient SOB that I am, I headed straight to the dealer to go see my new car. While I was leaving I stumbled across a used SC on the lot and went inside to see if I could take it for a spin. After 2 minutes behind the wheel of the SC, I was hooked. I walked on my $500 deposit on the IS and began my search for a used 98-00 SC. After a month, I finally found one and drove 8 hours to pick it up. One of the best choices I have ever made.

Quick Reply: Is a 2001 IS300 a worthy trade for a 97 SC400???