SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 02:00 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield replacement

Time to get my cracked front windshield replaced. After calling around to a few indy windshield shops, a few of the shops are saying that I will need a new top trim piece for my windshield that might not be oem. Have any forum members had there front windshield replaced and if so, what addition parts other the the windshield did they need to replace? Costs? Any help/info/experience would be appreciated.
Old 07-20-12, 02:45 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just let them use their seal that they use for standard windshield replacdements, I was in the same boat and opted to go with their trim and it looks great.
Old 07-20-12, 06:09 PM
Tac1sc
Driver

The trim they used on mine doesnt look bad. Hundred bucks, after market brand, brand new, including tax, 3 months warranty, seals and trim. The place where I first went to was asking $140-160 then I went to another place where theres a lot of competion. I got excited and didnt even bargain this time, I could've probably got away with some sort of discount or longer warranty.
Old 07-20-12, 06:26 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

doesnt ur insurance cover front windows with no deductable? im almost sire i heard this is the same for almost all car insurance companies.

safelight repair safelight replace....lol
Old 07-21-12, 02:04 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cmh
doesnt ur insurance cover front windows with no deductable? im almost sire i heard this is the same for almost all car insurance companies.

Please stay away from Safelite. Their glass is considerably thinner than OEM and MUCH louder. PGW is probably the best option out there besides OEM (since it's the largest OEM provider)

Insurance will only cover if you policy has glass coverage without deductible. Otherwise, you're paying outa pocket.
Old 07-21-12, 03:15 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

I had safelite replace mine through my insurance and it was the exact same thickness fwiw, I am **** about things like this.
Old 07-21-12, 10:52 PM
Tac1sc
Driver

Originally Posted by cmh

I wish they do..Pd
Old 07-22-12, 08:59 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

i need to replace mine too.. imma try and see if my insurance covers it... i have progressive full coverage... if they dont imma cancel it lol.
Old 07-22-12, 09:15 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Please stay away from Safelite. Their glass is considerably thinner than OEM and MUCH louder. PGW is probably the best option out there besides OEM (since it's the largest OEM provider)

Insurance will only cover if you policy has glass coverage without deductible. Otherwise, you're paying outa pocket.
I agree. I used to have a OEM glass windshield until recently. My insurance replaced my OEM with PGW and I am happy with the quality of the glass. The installer told me that PGW makes OEM glass for some German manufactures like Mercedes and BMW?

To the Original Poster, I never got any trim replaced on my windshield. Not sure why though, either because it was in great condition or the trim is meant to be re-used?
Old 07-22-12, 09:30 AM
95TEALSC3
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I Always Pay more to have OEM. It's just the best thing to do. to keep the cars value.
Old 07-22-12, 11:33 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 95TEALSC3
I Always Pay more to have OEM. It's just the best thing to do. to keep the cars value.

These cars have little value so really it does not matter, Oem glass was 1700 and aftermarket was 350 so unless you have an extra 900.00 for OEM then it is a no brainer plus that price will total 2/3 of the cars out there.
My insurance replaced mine for free but they would not buy OEM as I tried.
Old 07-22-12, 05:31 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxor
The installer told me that PGW makes OEM glass for some German manufactures like Mercedes and BMW?
They are THE supplier for most GMs, most Chryslers, most Fords, US built BMW's, most Mercedes, and even Toyota.
It's pretty decent

It can be bought around here for around ~$300. There is a shop in NJ selling them for $240ish for our cars with installation in your own driveway or at their shop.
Old 07-22-12, 07:34 PM
sayayin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have full coverage and in florida you can replace it for free once in a year, they guy who did take out the trim carefully and put it back without braking nothing only hard part was the mirror he could not get it out so he used heat to take it out and glued to the new one.
Old 07-22-12, 08:17 PM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

I just researched all the trim pieces since i am redoing my exterior and the front is 70 for top and 100 per side and if anyone is wondering about the back 108 for top 120 per side I can get part numbers too if you want i have it all written down somewhere.
Old 07-22-12, 08:45 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Its always recommended to replace the window trim along with the new window. Yes you can reuse your existing. But there is a good chance you are going to start hearing wind noises at some point. Especially if your insurance is covering the cost of the glass, then why not buy new trim..

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement