SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Hood Prop(ing) - has anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-12, 12:28 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Unless it folds a protein in some way, this bio-chem nerd wouldn't get it either

That's why I said it was counter intuitive for me. I figured the shroud was there mostly for bumper bracing and cleanliness purposes. Apparently it make the car cooler. The technology of these cars is quite amazing. Even the little brake duct "flaps" are there for a purpose.
Really...i figured we all took a ton of physics and whatnot. Lol.. Maybe my pre reqs were different then...i meant bio/chem not biochem btw. Lol hahaha...

Your quite right on the technically, makes my wonder why I chose cellular molecular genetics as a major. Should have done engineering of some sort. Lol especially when I see some of the fellow members reading crazy wire diagrams. It hurts my eyes trying to read em and a good few minutes for the math. These other guys are like its right there...dont you see it. Lol
Old 07-27-12, 12:55 AM
93SC300.
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Real ugly for the SC. I think you wont see any difference in temp, power or performance.
Old 07-27-12, 08:56 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

I'm all about performance, but even I have a fine line I wouldn't cross

If our hood didn't meet our fenders it'd be a totally different story.

I think there's a piece of ducting in the rear that you can remove that would have the same effect though, minus looking silly
Old 07-27-12, 05:32 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

idk. i think i might like it. ill try it out when im not busy, hopefully sometime this week
Old 07-27-12, 10:27 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yes the under cover really does work, makes a big difference especially on rx7's.
look into a turbo blanket if you dont have one already. makes a huge difference.
Old 07-28-12, 12:48 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Are you guys talking about a Lexus SC300/400? I've driven my SC400 since 1991 and the temperature gage has never moved after the engine warms up. Same with my LS430. These cars have the best cooling system I've ever see. What am I missing here?
Old 07-28-12, 02:01 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

The 300 runs hot and stays hot long after the car is turned off
Old 07-29-12, 09:59 PM
biturbo632
Pole Position

you can try it! I'm curious of the result about cooling! But... to raise the hood, you'll have to raise the hinge because the way it's mounted. It's not as simple as putting some washer between the hinge and the hood like on 240sx/silvia!!
Old 07-30-12, 04:31 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait, lemme get this straight

You're gonna use washers to lift the hinges on our hood, so as to raise it in the rear (how it is in that Eight-Six) so as to decrease temperatures by improving airflow?
Somebody mentioned "pressure" ... What does pressure have to do with anything?
That's basically Bernoulli's Principle, which states that when you increase flow in an area, pressure around that area decreases, as a result. Thus, atmospheric pressure is now greater, generating "lift" in said area.
So I get the part about increasing air-flow by basically creating a wider gap with the washers, but ... Again, what does pressure have to do with it (in other words, why do you need decreased pressure)? That's not gonna increase performance, or make you go any faster ... ???
All you're trying to do is better-ventilate the engine bay.

Just my two cents, but that hood looks awful, and it won't look good on any SC, or any other car either.
Show us a car that has that mod, which actually looks decent ... Then I'll take it back.

Why don't you just cut atop the hood, and install a vent, like so many other cars?
That's so much more practical, and elegant ... Not to mention, it's OEM; you could get a vent like that from any car in a any junk yard, and simply paint it to match your car's color.

Is there something Im not getting here?
'Cus otherwise this idea just sounds terrible lol (and yes, it "is" Ricer).

Last edited by SEIDO; 07-30-12 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-30-12, 11:33 PM
lolotonga
Driver School Candidate

I did a fuctional montecarlo style cowl on my ls400 there pics in the ls400 section....
Old 08-10-12, 12:22 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CityKnight
Wait, lemme get this straight

You're gonna use washers to lift the hinges on our hood, so as to raise it in the rear (how it is in that Eight-Six) so as to decrease temperatures by improving airflow?
Somebody mentioned "pressure" ... What does pressure have to do with anything?
That's basically Bernoulli's Principle, which states that when you increase flow in an area, pressure around that area decreases, as a result. Thus, atmospheric pressure is now greater, generating "lift" in said area.
So I get the part about increasing air-flow by basically creating a wider gap with the washers, but ... Again, what does pressure have to do with it (in other words, why do you need decreased pressure)? That's not gonna increase performance, or make you go any faster ... ???
All you're trying to do is better-ventilate the engine bay.

Just my two cents, but that hood looks awful, and it won't look good on any SC, or any other car either.
Show us a car that has that mod, which actually looks decent ... Then I'll take it back.

Why don't you just cut atop the hood, and install a vent, like so many other cars?
That's so much more practical, and elegant ... Not to mention, it's OEM; you could get a vent like that from any car in a any junk yard, and simply paint it to match your car's color.

Is there something Im not getting here?
'Cus otherwise this idea just sounds terrible lol (and yes, it "is" Ricer).
You must be mistaken. The whole point of it is to increase airflow in the engine bay to avoid heat soak. Anyone with a 1/2jzgte can agree that as soon as you open the hood its like opening an oven door. I have a turbo blanket, heat coated turbo, aluminum radiator..etc. the whole point of doing this is to make sure my temp. needle doesnt raise at all when im sitting in traffic. Its not to make me "go any faster".

the picture you posted is because of the engine shape.

but its the same science behind a cowl hood - besides fitting a hood for a bigger motor

you suggest cutting a hole on the hood and putting a vent in. this would look better you say?

no. the other problem doing this, is the weather. rain will drown out my coilpacks the first rain it sees, since the spark plugs are only covered by a louvered cover. though a h2 hood vent would look interesting:

regardless, when i do have the time ill be doing this.

Last edited by bryan767; 08-10-12 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-10-12, 05:04 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bryan767
You must be mistaken. The whole point of it is to increase airflow in the engine bay to avoid heat soak. Anyone with a 1/2jzgte can agree that as soon as you open the hood its like opening an oven door. I have a turbo blanket, heat coated turbo, aluminum radiator..etc. the whole point of doing this is to make sure my temp. needle doesnt raise at all when im sitting in traffic. Its not to make me "go any faster".

the picture you posted is because of the engine shape.

but its the same science behind a cowl hood - besides fitting a hood for a bigger motor

you suggest cutting a hole on the hood and putting a vent in. this would look better you say?

no. the other problem doing this, is the weather. rain will drown out my coilpacks the first rain it sees, since the spark plugs are only covered by a louvered cover. though a h2 hood vent would look interesting:

regardless, when i do have the time ill be doing this.
I don't think you understood anything I wrote lol.
In the first paragraph I said exactly what you did, regarding temperatures.
I was simply asking for clarity in regards to what someone else posted about "pressure", and I (basically) asked "What does change in pressure have anything to do with anything?"
Lastly, no, I wasn't suggesting you cut your hood, the way it is in that white SC you posted.
I was suggesting you cut the hoot to install a vent, similar to that BMW that I posted.
They come in all different lengths depending on the car. It doesn't have to be "that" one; simply one of those in general.
Old 08-14-12, 02:12 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

yea, i miss understood what you were saying.

what about a volvo elevate hood grille-

vent:
http://elevatecars.com/elevate-s60r/...0r-hood-grille

cover:
http://elevatecars.com/elevate-s60r/...d-grille-cover

my friends car:

you can buy the cover for when it rains, this way i dont have to worry about rain or snow. im not sure if id rather put this above the turbo for heat reduction or above the intake for colder air.
Old 08-14-12, 02:31 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

that one looks nice, as long as its not right above the plug valley it would probably be ok getting a little water in the bay.
I say route the intakes out of the bay if you want good intake temps.
for good engine bay temps, I would think it should go more towards the windshield to be able to let the hot air thats rising escape out the back.
Old 08-14-12, 03:01 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

I really do like that, what about this one? (Ebay link)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/URAS-STYLE-H...item3a77e3e984

Quick Reply: Hood Prop(ing) - has anyone done it?