SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Body and Suspension guys - Opinions and Facts Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-12, 10:33 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay and just need conformation on what I need to order for the windows I've removed.

For the rear window, I am assuming I will need the upper and lower "Pads" and replace the plastic clips I destroyed lol. Part numbers: 75571 and 75575A plus the clips

For the side windows: Just the clips as I still have the outer molding and it is in okay condition:

And for the front.. I broke my front windshield during removal, so I am hoping the glass place will provide everything needed, but does any one know what they do or do not include?

Thanks again!
Rick
Old 08-11-12, 11:02 PM
jjpark712
Driver

Originally Posted by scoobySC3
Thanks so much for the input guys!!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I am a total noob when it comes to anything painting related, so this is a huge help to me and is greatly appreciated.

And is this the guns you guys are talking about?
http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/finishstart.aspx

I am liking the 2nd and 3rd option. Part numbers: DEV 802342 or DEV 802343
Is one going to be better than the other?

And with those kits would I also want to get the disposable cups?
Like this:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/dekups.aspx
Part number: DEV DPC-654-KIT

And jjpark712, I really like the idea of a water based paint, but I have heard it is pretty Pricey, is that correct? I don't know much about it, but I would assume the VOC is a low level, and I do have proper masks and protection, but I like the idea of a more environmentally friendly, less toxic paint. But again please keep in mind I am not expecting show quality or anything close to that, as long as it looks better than it did before, which won't be hard lol, I will be stoked!!

Thanks again, you guys are awesome!!

Rick

Rick, yes found it.
Disposable cups are wayyyy better due to minimize cleaning afterwards plus you aren't going to paint the entire car with one cup. So in the middle of painting you can see exactly where to stop when the paint is running low then, it takes 5sec to exchange to a full cup of premixed paint. Then continue spraying. It will cut down the time of spraying as well.

Water based is little more expensive but not that much.
Don't have to mix with reducer, so you are saving money on reducer. Some cheaper paint to reducer ratio goes 1:1. So not having to use that saves time as well. Not to mention water based paint, you probably do two coats at the most then your are done.
But which ever paint you purchase read technical data sheet fully and understand how much air u need to what is your working time is too. That is most important.
Always test spray to get correct pattern fan shape with proper air pressure as well.
Old 08-12-12, 05:30 AM
LameSC300
Pole Position

LameSC300 Do you happen to have a picture of your car at max PBM height? I don't mind it being lowered, but I am hoping at max height, it is not "slammed" if that makes sense.

Thanks,
Rick

I'll have to upload one after work.

I feel that at the height it's at now it's not slammed.
The ride quality I think is great too. people say these coils are really stiff and uncomfortable, and they are stiff but I think the ride is great. I have them set to 11/12 stiffness too.
Old 08-12-12, 11:08 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

jjpark, thanks again for the info. So I am about to pull the trigger(lol?) on those guns, Amazon has them, but I think I will run over to my local paint shop on Monday to see if they have them in stock to avoid shipping.

So the gun kit will be the 802343, the cup kit: DPC-654-KIT

But my question is that will that come with the correct adapter for those guns in that kit?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-12-12, 11:10 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

Originally Posted by LameSC300
I'll have to upload one after work.

I feel that at the height it's at now it's not slammed.
The ride quality I think is great too. people say these coils are really stiff and uncomfortable, and they are stiff but I think the ride is great. I have them set to 11/12 stiffness too.
That would be awesome And I don't mind if the car is low, I just don't want to be forced to have it super low. And once of the reasons I like this suspension so much is due to the stiffness and the fact that PBM seems like a great company who supports more grassroots drivers, so I would like to support them.

Thanks again,
Rick
Old 08-12-12, 03:20 PM
MrBrock
Driver

Be careful painting metallics or pearls, air settings for the spray pattern are very important. Easy to get zebra stripes if you get it wrong. Solid colors are easier.
I've used some cheap guns similar to what you've got there and I've had good luck. Alsacorp makes a really good 2 part clear that I like to use.
Old 08-12-12, 06:20 PM
scoobySC3
Driver

Thanks for the info MrBrock!! If I cannot find the guns above at the price I want, I will just use the ones I already have. And no metallics or pearls, but I do wish... Recently I have been seeing the new IS series with the pearl white and OMG I am in love. However, I will be happy with a normal "nice" looking solid color though, as this will not be a show car in any way haha, in fact I do plan on it getting very very beat up eventually. I have never been one for looks anyway, more about the function

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-12-12, 07:22 PM
MrBrock
Driver

Whatever you end up using, just find something to practice on first. Then you can see how the paint lays and you can get your pattern right before you start on the car. Good luck with it. And set up your practice piece vertically so you can learn to not get runs or sags
Old 08-12-12, 08:12 PM
5spd97
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thread guys! Thanks
Old 08-12-12, 08:57 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Thanks for the info Everyone! And I am not looking for it to be perfect in any way shape or form, this is more of a learning experience for myself. I even turned down a professional paint job for a good price as I just want to do it myself, and if it looks like ****..meh so be it. It won't look nice for long as this will be my beater and I do plan on drifting it and tracking it, so it will get beat up pretty quick. I just figure that if it looks better than it did before it will be a huge improvement in my book.

have you painted with these guns before? I did a bunch of research and people gave them okay reviews, nothing stellar, but okay for a super entry level gun. And I don't plan on doing any painting after this so I almost need it to be disposable in a sense. I was going to purchase the Harbor Freight gun that got decent reviews, but I liked the idea of a dedicated primer and paint gun.

Thanks so much guys!!
Rick
I purchased this book several years ago at Books-A-Million for $20 + Tax when I wanted to paint my sled. It's pretty well detailed and probably worth reading.

Sled turned out pretty good in satin, SC hiding in the background.

Old 08-13-12, 04:20 AM
LameSC300
Pole Position

Sorry for no picture yet I know there's one in the lowest of the low forum.
Yea pbm was awesome to do business with, also I forgot to mention you can get longer dampers from pbm. mine haven't been switched out yet.

I know kingphilip swapped his out for he longer ones. I'm pretty sure he also posted that in the lowest of the low thread with nice step by step of what he did as well.
Old 08-13-12, 06:59 AM
BrutalSC
Driver School Candidate

Subaru pearl white. thats what i would do.,
Old 08-13-12, 12:09 PM
scoobySC3
Driver

Thanks OLT! I have been doing a ton of research online and learning a bunch, but I will keep my eye out for that book or one like it, would be nice to have on hand

And LameSC300, not a huge deal, I won't be buying suspension until the car is painted, but I have the money for all of my suspension mods, so just need to decide which route to go, so I can just get it all on order at once.

BrutalSC - I do love that color, but worried about doing anything with pearls in it, I just don't think my abilities are good enough to do a pearl.
Old 08-15-12, 11:00 AM
SCary400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmh
will somebody paint there damn sc whitest white (lfa white)!!!

i should have gone with tht color instead of corvette black. i want to see an sc this color. if u resort to white dont do championship white. jmo tht color is soo played out not even honda ppl use it anymore.
While it will be some time off (function>form), I intend to repaint mine in the whitest white I can get and the LFA white is pretty damn white.

To Scooby: Go with yellow and ignore everyone else. I've only ever seen a single picture of one, rare and it doesn't look bad in my opinion.