SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 stock audio: what is this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-02, 09:27 PM
jalex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool SC400 stock audio: what is this?

When I was swapping out my head unit, I noticed there was a small black box, about 1.5" x 2.5" x 6" connected to the old head unit by various color wires (not standard colors, there were browns, greens, and greys) and then leading to the standard speaker color wires. It was located to the right of the stereo/AC cage. I'm assuming this is some kinda amp but it has no labels on it whatsoever. I just took the whole thing out.

Anyone know what this is? If it is a stock amp of some sort for the front/rear speakers, anyone know the power output on this?
Old 11-19-02, 01:43 AM
sphereman
Pole Position

as far as i know, it is an amp.
Old 11-19-02, 08:49 PM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

Somebody correct me if Im wrong, because I dont know of a difference in the SC4 and SC3 stereos, but, depending on which stereo system you have, the NAK or Prem., the amp should be in towards the rear of the car. The Nak. is located under the CD changer and the Prem. should be located between the sub and cone speaker on the rear passenger side. As to what your mysterious addition is, I have no idea, as I havent gotten around to replacing the head unit yet. I know that CmputerWiz has a good deal of knowledge about the stereo's so you might want to ask him about it, but I havent seen him on the boards in a while. He helped me when I was looking around for new sound options. Best luck.

-BP
Old 11-19-02, 09:12 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well as far as I can tell, the Nak has one 5 channel amp under the CD and the Pioneer has a smaller amp under the CD and a sub amp in the deck. I don't know what it is behind the head unit, but in a diagram in my parts list, there is an exploded diagram and it labels something behind the head unit as an amplifier. Maybe an amp for something other than stereo?
Old 11-20-02, 08:24 PM
jalex
Driver School Candidate

I finally got a camera to take a picture of it. This was next to the head unit cage. The stock Nak amp is in the trunk where it should be. Does anyone know any details (specs, manufacturer, etc.) of this by looking at it?
Attached Thumbnails SC400 stock audio: what is this?-amp.jpg  
Old 11-20-02, 08:49 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

That looks like some type of line level adapter or something.. My car didn't have anything like that in the dash.. or I just didn't see it..
Old 11-20-02, 09:42 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Could that be part of the hands free phone kit?
Old 11-20-02, 10:23 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

I am 100% sure that is a LOC (Line Output Converter). The LOC converts your factory speaker wires into Low Voltage outputs so you can use an aftermarket amplifier. You will need this in your lexus because if you add an aftermarket amp this item will drop the wattage and voltage down so you can use it with the RCA cables.

It is NOT an amp.. this just converts your stock stereo wires to RCA wires so you can add an amplifier.

From looking at the pic it is a 4 channel LOC, so you can use it on a four channel amp to power all your speakers.

Last edited by 2Lexus430s; 11-20-02 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-20-02, 10:34 PM
Cleeve
Driver School Candidate

Default Item Description

jalex,

What you are looking at is the amplifier pack called (Power Pack) from a Nakamichi Mobile Tuner unit (aftermarket not stock). It is sometimes mounted to the rear of the Tuner unit since the Tuner unit is a deck only and has no internal amplifier. If you look at the screw holes of the amp and look at the rear of the tuner you will see that the holes on the Tuner unit line up with the amp holes. That's it. I hope this answers your question. Check out our site. It is coming right along now and is promoting this Forum board.

Cleeve Morrison
La Jolla Audio Repair

www.lajollaaudiorepair.com
Old 11-21-02, 03:47 AM
jalex
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Thanks for all your help. It's a big relief to know that I didn't just take something vital out since I swapped in a non-Nak head unit. The new head unit seems to have enough internal power to drive the stock speakers pretty well so I won't stress about it... well, at least until I get some better speakers with a real amp to boot.