SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

anone just upgrade the nak amp???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-02, 07:41 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default anone just upgrade the nak amp???

is it possible to pull out the old amp and drop in a new more powerfull amp? nothing huge, but something to give my car more bang... I don't want to go out and do crazy stuff... I've done that before (not on my sc400 however)... thanks for any feed back
Old 11-19-02, 08:59 PM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sure that it would be possible to do, Im not sure how, but as to whether you would want to, take into consideration that the factory speakers are only meant to run on the amount of power that the factory amp is sending, so more than likely you would be running to much power in them and soon youd have to replace many the speakers as well. Compatability wise, I heard from more than one person that complications arise if you just change out the head unit, so they might occur in the event of an amp change as well. Now, Im not trying to disuade you from getting a new amp or system, as it is a great idea and has a chance of working out and then we'd all be appreciative for the tip, but you might just want to save up and replace the head unit / amp / speakers all at the same time in order to save you from some trouble. But hey, just my .02 Good luck.

-BP
Old 11-19-02, 09:56 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ohh, new speakers are first on the list... I don't really want to change out everything right now... i hear that if I want to change head unit speakers and amp, I have to pretty much gut everything including wires... I don't want to drop that kind of cash right now though... I will stay with the nak upgrade, just wish I had some bump to my system... will changing the open air sub help anything? (I know about compatability issues)
Old 11-19-02, 11:19 PM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by sc400texas
ohh, new speakers are first on the list... I don't really want to change out everything right now... i hear that if I want to change head unit speakers and amp, I have to pretty much gut everything including wires... I don't want to drop that kind of cash right now though... I will stay with the nak upgrade, just wish I had some bump to my system... will changing the open air sub help anything? (I know about compatability issues)

Yeah, in order to upgrade on the SC it IS a task. New wires are a must, I mean, you might as well, its a helluva lot easier. You might be able to get a crisper bass (thump) by changing the sub in the back, hell, you could even run it on its own amp if you still want to add one, but remember that if you switch out the sub and want to put a new one in the factory location to watch out for the size issues. Compatability with a new sub should be no problem in this case, its just finding something to fit in that space without getting too close to the gas tank. Its an easy install, if you needed help just drop me a pm. Luck in finding a nice fit.

-BP