SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Paint can exploded in my car, wtf!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-12, 05:49 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Paint can exploded in my car, wtf!!!

long story short I moved my tools into my car to make room in my trunk for an antique box that i didnt even ****ing need

my can of base that I was gonna use to paint my car exploded all over my interior after just an hour or two in the car, i guess the heat did it. 3/4th's of a quart im so pissed off.

lucky for me it didnt get on my dash or ceiling or rug only the leather seats,doors,armrest, and then it all drained onto my rear floor mat thankfully,, i used thinner and got 99% of it off but it removed some of the original color on my passenger seat (which was perfect) and rear which was also perfect. i mean its still looks good but i am gonna use this as a reason to re do my seats and armest etc..

My question is what company is the most respected to get the leather paint from,im really pissed but ill try to turn this into a positive by re doin the whole thing and making it better then ever

I want some high quality leather paint, the best, please let me know who the best companies are, thank u very much guys.

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 08-25-12 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-25-12, 06:10 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 349 Likes on 225 Posts

Pics are absolutely required
Old 08-25-12, 06:16 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

oh man as soon as i seen it i panicked and went to town with the thinner, it was an absolute nightmare man i still cannot belive it

ther was no time for pics
Old 08-25-12, 07:04 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I demand for pics! Otherwise it didn't happen
Old 08-25-12, 07:44 PM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard good things about Leatherique. Once I find a decent drivers seat (my existing seat is torn beyond repair) i'll do a resto on my interior. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-25-12, 08:04 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

^^^thanks man gonna check it out
Old 08-25-12, 08:16 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 718murdoc
I've heard good things about Leatherique. Once I find a decent drivers seat (my existing seat is torn beyond repair) i'll do a resto on my interior. Fingers crossed.
I too have heard really good things about Leatherique as well. That may be something to look into.
Old 08-25-12, 08:29 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

^^thanks kira , been researching leatherique and they seem like one of the most respected leather care companies out there

found my way onto a ferrari forum where they speak highly of it

im pissed but maybe ths will work out for the best, my divers seat, door and mid armrest's needed to be redone ayways, guess ill be doing the whole interor instead.
Old 08-26-12, 07:42 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this thread is ****ing useless without pics
Old 08-26-12, 09:05 AM
moosejaw2
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man im so disappointed there are no pics
good thing the paint wasnt pink or green
Old 08-26-12, 09:41 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by czar07
this thread is ****ing useless without pics
no you are......

Last edited by 1JZPWRD; 08-26-12 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-26-12, 10:21 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

OK guys,lets cool it with the name calling, back and forth.. Post up something about the mishap or I will close it.

1Willy1, I hate to hear that to happen.. When I first read the title I thought to myself, I hope it is in the trunk area, and not the cabin, but I was wrong. I wouldn't have taking pictures either. i would be so pissed off about it, I wouldn't want any memories of what happened.

How hot do you think it got in the inside of the car?

Was the cap or lid on tight? Do you remember?
Old 08-26-12, 10:54 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Never ever use paint thinner on leather seats. Not even any alcohol based products. Would have suggested you use a high powered steamer if anything.
Old 08-26-12, 11:49 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
OK guys,lets cool it with the name calling, back and forth.. Post up something about the mishap or I will close it.

1Willy1, I hate to hear that to happen.. When I first read the title I thought to myself, I hope it is in the trunk area, and not the cabin, but I was wrong. I wouldn't have taking pictures either. i would be so pissed off about it, I wouldn't want any memories of what happened.

How hot do you think it got in the inside of the car?

Was the cap or lid on tight? Do you remember?
thanks man , it was almost a full quart of base that u get in the typical paint cans that u hammer closed , it was on tight but maybe not tight enough? or maybe the heat was just so bad , it gets realy hot here and with the windows closed it was obviously enough to blow the top off and spray it everwhere. but i cant belive it cause i left it in there for less then 2 hours unreal really.

and yea man i didnt even think of pics i went into panick/action mode and just did what i could
Originally Posted by 99rx
Never ever use paint thinner on leather seats. Not even any alcohol based products. Would have suggested you use a high powered steamer if anything.
yea i knew thinner is very harsh but i really had no other choice, and ud be surprised if i show u my interior now ,you wouldnt notice much it did a great job, but my iterior now feels damaged to me and im going to re do my front ad rear seats and my armrest, this leatherique place seems to have a great product im gonna give it a try.

but damn what a nightmare i still cant belive it

im actually super lucky i didnt get on my ceiling, rug and dash area, this really coud of destroyed my entire interior im very thankful it didnt
Old 08-26-12, 12:29 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
thanks man , it was almost a full quart of base that u get in the typical paint cans that u hammer closed , it was on tight but maybe not tight enough? or maybe the heat was just so bad , it gets realy hot here and with the windows closed it was obviously enough to blow the top off and spray it everwhere. but i cant belive it cause i left it in there for less then 2 hours unreal really.

and yea man i didnt even think of pics i went into panick/action mode and just did what i could

yea i knew thinner is very harsh but i really had no other choice, and ud be surprised if i show u my interior now ,you wouldnt notice much it did a great job, but my iterior now feels damaged to me and im going to re do my front ad rear seats and my armrest, this leatherique place seems to have a great product im gonna give it a try.

but damn what a nightmare i still cant belive it

im actually super lucky i didnt get on my ceiling, rug and dash area, this really coud of destroyed my entire interior im very thankful it didnt
I have also heard good things about that company as well. They must make great products. Lets turn this into a positive thing, and makes this thread a DIY on how you are going to redo your interior and the progress!

Keep us posted!!!

Quick Reply: Paint can exploded in my car, wtf!!!