SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Repair Vs. Side Skirts - Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-12, 09:27 AM
glex4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair Vs. Side Skirts - Opinions

Hey guys, some of you might have seen my earlier post from here regarding my passenger side rocker panel being creased/indented. I just got a price of $1200 to fix the rocker panel and paint both rocker panels. That's too high for me. Any reasonably priced good body shops around NY Tri-State area that you guys can recommend from your experience so I can get more estimates, or is the cost above just about right?

Here's what the crease looks like. It's not even too bad..

Also, it looks like I'd probably get off much cheaper installing side skirts? Any recommendations from personal experience on who would be able to install side skirts for me and where to buy them from? I've done a GOOGLE search and hit a couple of shops online that sell them. I'm riding a 92 Lexus SC400. I believe these side skirts would go "over" the rocker panels and cover them up.

Some questions:

I guess the side skirts wouldn't add too much weight to the car?

Also, how are side skirts installed on the car? Glue? Welded?

I'm only planning on changing the sides, so I can't really go with "aggressive" skirts. The ones on a 97 SC400 look okay to me.

Thanks for your suggestions/advice.
Old 09-10-12, 11:53 AM
glex4
Rookie

Anyyyybodyyyy?
Old 09-10-12, 12:02 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

1200 for that, I wouldn't worry about it...just buy some 97+ sides or AC sides, and get the lower door trim-Done! You could always PM aliga or RGW LLC...I think there were some 97+ sides in the SC3/4 classifieds a few days ago-act fast they sell quick. Or worse case buy new? I would also search on CL, you'll increase your chances of finding what you're looking for. Lastly, welcome to CL.
Old 09-10-12, 12:11 PM
glex4
Rookie

Thanks Steve. I'll investigate my options. I don't know how to install these myself, so I'll have to look around for help with that.
Old 09-10-12, 12:42 PM
lilSCsteve

Originally Posted by glex4
Thanks Steve. I'll investigate my options. I don't know how to install these myself, so I'll have to look around for help with that.
removing the side skirts are pretty easy, here's what I did...didn't take any pics.

Open your door, you'll see some screws about half way (middle), remove these first. There will be some clips, be careful very delicate. I used a puddy knife with painters tape around it, so I wouldn't damage or scratch anything. I gently pried the clips out-as stated previously, be careful!!
Easily broken. lol

I also took a pic of one good clip, and ordered some new ones I used these on my door panels as well. no issues so far.
Old 09-10-12, 12:52 PM
glex4
Rookie

Actually, I've learned from on here that my car doesn't have side skirts. The "rocker panel" is part of the body and is welded to the car. Therefore, I cannot "remove" anything. That leaves me with two options:

1: Repair current issue (get more reasonable auto body estimates)
2: Sit a side skirt over the current rocker panel

Old 09-10-12, 01:03 PM
lilSCsteve

Ok bro, I'll help you out. I'll post a link to one of our long time CL members-"cleansc" You'll be able to see what I was talking about...hence the reason I used a puddy knife with painter's tape. Here you go, wait one. Jose, hope you don't mind bro...lol

http://www.cleansc.net/sc/gallery/mods/004.html

Steve
Old 09-10-12, 01:04 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

get side skirts man , theylook great , can be had for under $300.00 and re easy to install

Win x 3
Old 09-10-12, 02:12 PM
glex4
Rookie

Steve, thanks for the info and PM. I may reach out once I make a final decision on what to do.

So, from the pics, it seems that the " side molding" was removed too.

I was told from some of the members on here that I could install the side skirt "on top" of the existing rocker panel that you see in my pictures, like the side skirt would sit right under the white molding. If that's the case, I wouldn't have to remove the existing piece off the car, no?

Sorry if I'm getting confusing - lol.

*****, I've seen some hot cars on here with side skirts, so, yup!
Old 09-10-12, 04:48 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

glex i recently intalledside skirts so i can tell u anything u need to know in terms of install.

you need to remove 3 mouldings on each side to install the skirts, the one by the front wheel, rear wheel, and inside your door, after that he skirts just snap in, its really that easy.

and yes they cover the 'rocker panel' completely, u wont ever see that dent again.
Old 09-10-12, 04:54 PM
GTX580
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same dent on the pass side, the door is slight damaged as well. I planned to install sideskirt and fix the door instead of spending $$$$ to fix something i can hide with a sideskirt.
Old 09-10-12, 04:56 PM
glex4
Rookie

Thanks *****, I'll PM you when the time comes!
Old 09-10-12, 05:10 PM
lilSCsteve

Originally Posted by glex4
Steve, thanks for the info and PM. I may reach out once I make a final decision on what to do.

So, from the pics, it seems that the " side molding" was removed too.

I was told from some of the members on here that I could install the side skirt "on top" of the existing rocker panel that you see in my pictures, like the side skirt would sit right under the white molding. If that's the case, I wouldn't have to remove the existing piece off the car, no?

Sorry if I'm getting confusing - lol.

*****, I've seen some hot cars on here with side skirts, so, yup!

No problem bro, between *****, myself, and other members we'll make sure you're straight!
Old 09-10-12, 08:46 PM
chrisindub
Pole Position

You came up with the best reason ever to slap on a bodykit.
Old 09-10-12, 09:28 PM
2jzinsider
Rookie

that happened to me. got some 97 skidekirts to cover it. i was sliding the car and when up curb at a angle. mine was worst than yours but the skirts still covered it up without any issues with install

Quick Reply: Repair Vs. Side Skirts - Opinions