SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Attempt or not to Attempt "92+ Lip"

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-12, 05:25 PM
runabout
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attempt or not to Attempt "92+ Lip"

Well guys, i was looking at lips that have been made for the 92+ SCs and i saw a lip that was created on another thread that was done with a Tahoe lip. so, i saw i had a spare Lip here from a 05 dodge ram so out of curiosity, i decided to try it on. well, came to see its a bit short about two inches but the overall fitment i think can be done. has a nice lower lip on the bottom but i was just wondering if i should go ahead and attempt to make this lip fit and do the work or just buy a Wise lip. i do fiberglass work so it shouldnt be too much of a hassle. anywho, here are some test fitments to see the overall look of it. please excuse the screws. just for temp mounting. so what do you all think?

Old 09-16-12, 05:28 PM
runabout
Rookie

also as you can see these a bit of a gap on the lip and bumper but thats because of the bumper itself. i have a way i plan to mount it and the side i can see there is a bit of a gap to but if pressed for correct mounting its pretty flush. ill try to get some better pictures
Old 09-16-12, 05:30 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's pretty interesting...not sure how I feel it about? But I'm definitely in for some final pics after you finish cleaning it up!
Old 09-16-12, 05:42 PM
Tac1sc
Driver

Since you already have the lip and you dont have to purchase it, Id say go for it. But I would jut go stock sc4 lip if i have to purchase any of them or go wise.
Old 09-16-12, 05:56 PM
runabout
Rookie

thanks guys, well i like its because it seems to be a bit longer then the OEM lip. i think the overall look would pretty nice. plus it would have the OEM material with just a bit of fiberglass for minor adjustments so id see a benefit there. looks better in person to be honest. if i can create a good look overall i see something that could come along nicely. im working on relocating my fender harness relocation thus is why you see the fender off. my wheels should be in this coming week. plan to buy some OEM sides tomorrow.
Old 09-16-12, 07:13 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it looks good even a bit taller to me than the oem. i say keep it for now and roll with it. Then you can add a diy on here with a dodge lip!!! My .02!
Old 09-16-12, 07:53 PM
runabout
Rookie

yea it is a bit taller. but i have 20's coming on my sc400 so i think ittl suite it well. but im going to go ahead and tackle this. ill take pictures and see about a DIY. there will be some fiber glassing needed becasuse i will have to extend the lip about 2 inches or so. got lots of little projects coming along so hope to get this oe done asap.

as for the exterior i just plan to have this lip, OE sides, rear lip "undesided" with a custom diffuser, just some touch ups and accents to make the car clean and nice.
Old 09-16-12, 11:01 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Does the radiator draw air from up under the bumper as well as the grill? Just something to look at before you go with this, they do design the underside of the bumper to route air a certain way.
Old 09-17-12, 06:32 AM
1SlowSC400
Rookie

It is kinda tall but it does look good. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 09-17-12, 07:06 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

To be honest, I cant believe a lip off a dodge ram fits that well. It looks very similar to a stock lip.

I just used a tube of plastic weld and some rustoleum trim and bumper paint and restored my lip... more people need to do that rather than by V-speed lips and Wise lips that crack and shatter at the first speed bump.
Old 09-17-12, 08:30 AM
runabout
Rookie

thanks guys.. well it does fit good. the right side needs to be extended just a bit to mount correctly. and i noticed the how the bumper was designed on the bottom but ill check more into that. i plan on making brackets to mate with the stock oem clips but ill be laying a slight layer of fiber glass resin so the upper part of the lip sticks on good and flush.

what you do is drill a small holes into the lower bumper, lay some resin and the excess resin will flow up filling the hole creating a somewhat rivet. it keeps it tacked on really strong. we use this method on lots of applications. ill start some of the process today to get it going. just wish i had my wheels in already so i can see how the low from the floor the lip will touch. but they're 20,s so important sure ill have enough space. just hard to determine since my car is lowered.
Old 09-17-12, 06:36 PM
runabout
Rookie

well so far its going ok. had to cut the lip in the middle so i can mount each end to see the distance ill have to fill in. its a bit rough working with it but it should start to see its form soon.here are some pics to see where im going...

from here you can see more less where its going. of course i still have to work on the middle section and some more fitment work. but on the sides, would yall like to see it as is or strait or flared a bit at the bottom? im thinking of making it a bit more on the strait side.any ideas or suggestions? should i keep going or just buy the lip? the mid section is taped so you can get an idea how it would look.

Last edited by runabout; 09-17-12 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-23-12, 12:19 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like it! post some pics when its done
Old 09-23-12, 12:24 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

yea looks good man , a little more meaty then the OEM one I Like it.
Old 10-12-12, 10:17 PM
runabout
Rookie

well guys sorry i havent been on in a while. been very busy working on building a shop here where im at. anywho, i finally got my wheels in and almost done with the lip. had to leave out of town for a while but im back now. sofar the wheels to a bit of work but i got everything to work well. had to do a roll and slight pull. 20x10 in the rear and 20x8.5 in the front. still debating on the kit im going along with. the lip was just a fun project to attempt. but overall here are some pics.

this is just after a couple layers of glass. still have alot to do..

i am aborting the lip and just going with a kit. just debating witch one to get.. and suggestions?

Quick Reply: Attempt or not to Attempt "92+ Lip"