SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

CF Dash...(but alas RHD)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-12, 11:17 AM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually MD, I think there's something there to this idea.

With the number of folks looking to completely change out or just modify their interiors (me included), a preformed shell which could be painted and attached easily could make a great alternative to spraying the dash. Honestly, the thought of taking the dash apart makes me a little apprehensive.

I know it'll happen in the next few years, but if someone made a cover (not just a mat, d@mmit!) that was either pre-done in whatever color/fabric for $437... well, I'd do it. Just for the opportunity to avoid the hassle that is taking apart the dash.
Old 09-27-12, 12:51 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Harbinger
If I can find a cf vinyl that looks realistic enough I will go ahead an do a vacuum/heat formed overlay as a stop-gap measure while getting the results I want for the whole dash using...

this method - (as I'm sure that it is going to take me a couple of attempts to get it just right)
If I see any decent looking vinyl I'll let you know. I know there is some out there, alas not sure of the price.
Old 09-27-12, 02:24 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

pretty cool , but yea id defnitely try to pull off a homemade job before I fork out that kind of cash.
Old 09-27-12, 03:17 PM
LameSC300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's cool, but I don't see the point.
Old 09-27-12, 07:28 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brerrabbit
Actually MD, I think there's something there to this idea.

With the number of folks looking to completely change out or just modify their interiors (me included), a preformed shell which could be painted and attached easily...
Welcome to the world of "hey it exists...just not for us" - $225 (plus the aforementioned uncomfortable shipping costs)

http://autostyle-usa.com/?pkey=item_...01&car_url=z30

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
If I see any decent looking vinyl I'll let you know. I know there is some out there, alas not sure of the price.
Thank you much sir!

Originally Posted by LameSC300
It's cool, but I don't see the point.
Toyota did a wonderful job of building these vehicles, but they are now +/-20 years old. They will never be valued as a true collector car, however they make an outstanding canvas upon which we may share our automotive vision. These models require creativity since many of the items that we covet are no longer produced, DIY/one-off's, or difficult/time consuming/expensive to obtain; so personally it always gives me great joy to find something for our vehicles that already exists that fits my vision of my vehicle (even if it is completely wrong for my application and on the other side of the world) and gives me a sense of pride that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE successfully executed their vision as well. Do you see the point now?
Old 09-28-12, 09:28 AM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Eloquently put, Harb.

I just like that it will extend the life of the dash (significantly!) and it's totally reversible. So if you go to sell the SC, at least it's a part that doesn't have to stay.
Old 09-28-12, 10:50 AM
LameSC300
Pole Position

you act like I haven't done **** to my sc. I know they'll never been a true collector car. This car is the perfect platform to do whatever you want to it, and I hate that there are so many parts that are discontinued.
Old 09-28-12, 05:44 PM
theory5150
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Never mind... I thought it was a replacement dash, not just a cover.
This. Looks great though reminds me of Ueno's carbon dash. LHD cf would be nice with the theme I have going.
Old 09-28-12, 07:12 PM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Lame, it's cool. You have a higher level of mechanical expertise than I do- we were just saying it might be a nice alternative or a beginner option to dash modding.

That's all.
Old 09-28-12, 07:47 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brerrabbit
Eloquently put, Harb.

I just like that it will extend the life of the dash (significantly!) and it's totally reversible. So if you go to sell the SC, at least it's a part that doesn't have to stay.
Thank you thank you. I'm available for housewarming parties, quinceaneras and anywhere there is an open bar.

I love shortcuts. If you have an idea & someone has already done the work to get your 1/2 way(or sometimes all the way) there, why not take advantage of it & safe time & heartache. That's why we purchase parts from vendors. It is also nice to be able to try something before fully committing. I want a carbon fibre dash, but I have never lived with a carbon fibre dash - it could be a wonderful experience or a royal pita. Being able to unbolt it & go back to "normal" or change the color at a whim(as in with the fiberglass dash) would be outstanding. C'est la vie I'll just have to learn a new skill and overlay the whole dash. I have a spare to practice with... plus I totally wasn't joking about the CF headliner.

Originally Posted by LameSC300
you act like I haven't done **** to my sc. I know they'll never been a true collector car. This car is the perfect platform to do whatever you want to it, and I hate that there are so many parts that are discontinued.
Breathe with me. In - out - great! ok! I know nothing about you. Never looked at your profile & I didn't look at your name when I responded. Why? Because my response wasn't about you, it was about me, our cars and the community in relation to our vehicles.It seems that we are on the same page based on the last portion of your response, which is great! As for the earlier portion of your response, I can understand that when you are quoted it can seem that someone is singling you out in their response, but unlike this specific response to clear the air my earlier response was meant to be inclusive & continue the "conversation". We are all on here because we share a common love of these vehicles - and more importantly executing our vision of the perfect iteration of this vehicle, then sharing that vision with likeminded individuals. We may or may not agree with that vision, but we are all better for knowing that it exists, and most often in the case of this forum HOW it came into being since there is so so much that we have already lost. That is all I was attempting to convey.
Old 09-29-12, 08:45 AM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Harb, I'm guessing you either majored in history or pol-sci in school. You have the makings of a natural diplomat.

And you've explained the need for aftermarket parts better than I could. Unlike the Mustangs, Supras, Porsche 911/928/etc- our community of cars could be seen as stagnant. Every enthusiast knows that when parts get scarce, the job gets harder. While this might eliminate some of the casual owners, we celebrate this model for its' special qualities.

Even if someone tries a part and fails, their presence in the field tends to inspire others. How many of CL's authorized sellers started as casual owners who saw a fix to some problem?