SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

HID Install - Not Working - Have Questions (Pictures inside)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-12, 12:23 PM
deputy865
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID Install - Not Working - Have Questions (Pictures inside)

My stock lo-beams are pretty dim, yellow and lame.. Cleaned up the lenses, still lame.. So I decided I'd put in my HID kit.

I installed everything as I would think it should be installed (Original instructions were an unhelpful postcard...) and I've got nothing? They won't light up.The kit seems idiot proof, so I don't think I could of installed it wrong... but I've been wrong once before.

Also heard of people talking about flipping a connector to the ballast, but that is impossible with my kit because... well the plugs won't allow for it... Also heard something about a relay switch? Dude at Napa said that a relay switch wouldn't make these work if they aren't working already...?

Anyone have ANY ideas? Really would like to get these things going!

Car is a 1995 SC300, 1JZGTE swapped.. If it matters.

Kit is a 6k HID kit, 9006 bulbs.

So here is what I'm working with:

This is the plug that is nearest to the bulb. I plugged this into the factory plug to the headlight.

These are the 3 plugs at the other end of the harness.. Kind of odd that this kit has 3 when all the other kits I see have 2.

Then here is the ballast itself. Very obvious to see where the plugs from above go..

Old 09-28-12, 12:29 PM
flsc300
Rookie

Flip the connector make it fit I have had this problem before. If you have to break the clip off the wire harness and flip the connections.
Old 09-28-12, 12:31 PM
deputy865
Driver

Originally Posted by flsc300
Flip the connector make it fit I have had this problem before. If you have to break the clip off the wire harness and flip the connections.
Which connector am I breaking/flipping?
Old 09-28-12, 06:49 PM
food7373
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it's the one that goes into the stock wiring harness...
Old 09-28-12, 10:14 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flsc300
I had to do the same with my projectors. flipped the connectors and lert there be light
Old 09-28-12, 11:23 PM
Ask92
Driver School Candidate

Yea on the stock harness it should be flippable. Also make sure you are VERY careful with the bulbs as they are break or burn out much easier than regular bulbs
Old 09-28-12, 11:35 PM
Heyboss2JZ
Driver School Candidate

First of all dont break any connector's!! Everything in HIDS is plug n play and you dont need no freaking relay from napa!! The ballast has a pos&neg marked on it make sure you are connecting that correctly and fallow the neg&pos back to your bulbs then to the connection on your car. What i do is always lay the bulbs out and connect everything just to test it b4 mounting everything into place n tuck wires. Good luck..
Old 09-28-12, 11:48 PM
JustChill
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Flip the plug, they inserted the wires in the wrong position!
Old 09-29-12, 12:05 AM
roc
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i had this problem with my type r,i had to swap wires in the plastic connector,what do you expect from cheap china made products
Old 09-29-12, 07:40 AM
deputy865
Driver

Got them to work.. Sort of lol..

One lights up fine.. The other lit up, flashed, then went out and won't light up anymore... I'm assuming my ballast is shot. Tested out the other bulb with it to be sure, same thing, won't come on.
Old 10-09-12, 07:38 AM
Chuck4200
Driver School Candidate

I have stock 98 GS300 HID's - D2R 4300's. Passenger side went out two months ago, thanks to this forum was able to figure out how to change them out. Replaced the bulb with an Osram/Sylvania from Autozone. HID went out about two weeks ago, Autozone swapped me a new one thankfully! Put new one in, didn't work.

Will try light bulb in socket outside of cover to check things out, but.........the big ???

Question - Does the ballast live "forever", or do these occasionally go out? If so, (have not looked at DIY here yet) , is it difficult to replace them? I've seen after market conversions kits for HID's, and if so, would it be advisable to swap out both now?
Old 10-09-12, 07:47 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by deputy865
In German/Euro cars, those 2 wires are the other way around compared to Japanese/American. If you look closely inside, there's a part of the terminal that acts like a clip to hold it in the plastic plug. Use a mini screwdriver to pry it out, wouldn't be so hard, then flip their positions. But before doing that, try inserting this plug to its counterpart the other way around to make sure that's the problem. Good luck.

Originally Posted by Chuck4200
I have stock 98 GS300 HID's - D2R 4300's. Passenger side went out two months ago, thanks to this forum was able to figure out how to change them out. Replaced the bulb with an Osram/Sylvania from Autozone. HID went out about two weeks ago, Autozone swapped me a new one thankfully! Put new one in, didn't work.

Will try light bulb in socket outside of cover to check things out, but.........the big ???

Question - Does the ballast live "forever", or do these occasionally go out? If so, (have not looked at DIY here yet) , is it difficult to replace them? I've seen after market conversions kits for HID's, and if so, would it be advisable to swap out both now?
Actually the ballasts are the sensitive part of the HID's. If current comes in too strong it can easily kill the ballasts. If you have OEM, don't even bother replacing them. Just buy aftermarket ones, way more cheaper. Plus there's a lot of companies out there that offer lifetime warranty. I got mine from DDM Tuning 2 years ago, I've never had any kind of problems with it whatsoever, bought it for $35, lifetime warranty.

Last edited by OG Dada; 10-09-12 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-09-12, 08:58 AM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy flip the plug that goes into the ballast around. The plug has that clip on the outside is meant to clip one way but if you flip it it'll work it's just harder to clip in. Do that rather than messing with your oem plug.
Old 10-09-12, 06:29 PM
jtran6793
Driver School Candidate

Hi I am new to this forum and would like for some questions to be answered. Sorry but I don't have permission to create a new thread yet and this looked like the most related one. I don't mean to steal your thread deputy865 and I hope you get your HIDs working. I just installed HIDs on my 2010 IS250 RWD and I really like them. I have noticed some minor issues though. First of all I feel like the volume control for music is a little bit lower than before. For example the volume says 20 but does not sound as loud as before. I would need to turn it to at least 25-30 before it sounds as loud. Also right after the install, I started the engine and the check engine light and traction control-off lights came on. They have since turned off. Lastly, the orange light that comes on on the speedometer after you drive pass 80 MPH now comes on around 76-78 MPH. I know these are all small issues but I just want to make sure everything is alright since these happened immediately after the HID install. I don't want to ignore them now and find out later that it is something major. BTW the HIDs work perfectly fine. If anybody could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
Old 10-09-12, 07:09 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the is-forum bro.