SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2 Simple Questions - SC400

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-12, 04:27 PM
glex4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Simple Questions - SC400

1) Now that Fall is upon us, do I still need to leave my sun shade up on my windshield to protect the leather? Next week's highs are in the 50's so the "heat" is pretty much out of here. I live in NY, and it's about to get cold! So, in other words, if you have a sunny but cool/cold day, does the leather still need to be protected by a sun shade?

2) Okay, I don't have any cassettes lying around to test, but when you play a cassette in the car, does the antenna still automatically go up, or is it only when you turn the radio on?

Old 10-07-12, 04:41 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

1. The thing that destroys and dries up the leather is the heat, not the light of the sun. The heat that builds up inside the car when the weather is hot dries it up. But you still need to condition the leather when it's cold because cold weather usually means dry weather and low humidity. Humidity or moisture on the other hand is what preserves the leather.

2. Not too sure about cassette, but whenever I use the CD player, my antenna still stays up.
Old 10-07-12, 04:49 PM
sr71b
Pole Position

If the radio is on and then you switch functions (i.e, cassette or cd player) the mast stays up. If the radio is off and you just hit the cd or cassette button the mast will stay retracted, until you turn on the radio.
Old 10-07-12, 04:49 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 124 Posts

what phillip said about 1:

as for 2:

The antenna goes up when you turn on the radio. However. if you turn on your head unit while its in the AM/FM mode, the antenna will go up and stay up untill you turn off the car. Easy way around this is instead of pressing the Vol knub, press the CD or Tape button to turn it on. This is based on my 95 SC300. Im not sure what year you have but as long as its not a Nakamichi system it should be the same.
Old 10-07-12, 07:44 PM
glex4
Rookie

Gotcha! Thanks all for your responses.

I actually purchased a cassette adapter on Friday so I can connect my mp3 player in my car. It's a 92 SC400. It'll arrive next week - woohoo! I, like you guys, also think that if I insert the tape without turning the radio on first, then the antenna should not go up. Let's see!

I believe I have the non-Nakamichi sound system (without CD player) as it just says "Premium Sound System" on the head unit.

Also, as far as conditioning my leather, how often should I do this? I'll have to research leather conditioning products now!
Old 10-07-12, 07:48 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Once a month should do. Best thing I've used is Lexol, which you can buy in a local Walmart. I also found out about it here in CL.
Old 10-07-12, 09:00 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 124 Posts

The CD changer is in the trunk. on the right. Sounds like a regular head unit if it doesnt say Nakamichi on it. There is a very simple mod to connect an aux port to the player. I would suggest looking it up as it gives you better sound. I can remember the timeline but once a month sounds about right. if you have black interior i would just suggest using a leather conditioner but if you have tan or grey then i suggest using a blend of cleaner and conditioner. I use it on my seats once every 2 -3 weeks but thats because im in FL and it gets really hot here.
Old 10-08-12, 06:52 AM
glex4
Rookie

Ah, great. I took a look at Lexol on walmart.com. There's a kit that contains a cleaner and a conditioner. That's probably the way to go.

So, my car has a CD changer that I don't know about, or is it just a connection to add a CD changer if that option was chosen when the car was originally purchased? I've only had the car for a few weeks so I haven't poked around much. I'll check out the trunk.
Old 10-08-12, 07:56 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Yep, you have a 12 disc CD changer sitting to the right of the trunk. I've had my SC for 5 months now and I'm still finding things I didn't know it had...
Old 10-08-12, 09:08 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by glex4
So, my car has a CD changer that I don't know about, or is it just a connection to add a CD changer if that option was chosen when the car was originally purchased? I've only had the car for a few weeks so I haven't poked around much. I'll check out the trunk.
Considering the age of your Sc, the Cd unit may no longer function, hopefully that's not the case? The 12 Cd cartridge was poorly designed, if yours still works my advice would be to put one Cd in first slot then skip the second slot etc. puts less stress on the unit during operation.

Last edited by Teal Sc400; 10-08-12 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-08-12, 12:34 PM
glex4
Rookie

Wow, I didn't know this! Hopefully, it still works. The car is immaculate with only 60,000 miles, so I am hopeful. It's interesting that there would be a cd changer in my trunk when there's no cd button on my head unit though. There's only FM1, FM2, AM, and Tape.
Old 10-08-12, 01:08 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Wow, I didn't know this! Hopefully, it still works. The car is immaculate with only 60,000 miles, so I am hopeful. It's interesting that there would be a cd changer in my trunk when there's no cd button on my head unit though. There's only FM1, FM2, AM, and Tape.
Doesn't your headunit look like this one at this site? Scroll to the Sc300/400 model and CD button should be the last button under the cassette player as viewed in the picture.
http://www.carstereohelp.com/strlexus.htm
Old 10-08-12, 01:11 PM
glex4
Rookie

Teal, maybe I am blind - lol. I will take a better look again on my drive home from work and post back.
Old 10-08-12, 01:26 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Teal, maybe I am blind - lol. I will take a better look again on my drive home from work and post back.
The Sc is new to you so it's understandable not to see/know where everything is located on the vehicle and with 60,0000 on the odometer I would expect the Cd unit to function/work.
Old 10-08-12, 03:40 PM
glex4
Rookie

Okkayyy Teal, no CD button in my 92 SC400. Check it out. I also checked the trunk and no sign of a CD changer. I guess mine didn't come with a CD setup!

Quick Reply: 2 Simple Questions - SC400