SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Cluster Backlighting Bulb Socket Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-12, 05:23 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cluster Backlighting Bulb Socket Problem

Hey guys, I'm having this issue with my cluster on my 94 SC300. I replaced all 32 of the bulbs for the backlighting and most of them work no problem, but some dash lights like the battery stay on all the time. I do not have a problem with my battery or alternator, this has only been a problem since I switched everything to LED bulbs. The airbag light is on after removing the cluster which I know is normal and can be reset, but the battery light does not stay fully lit, just half way dimly lit when the car is running. Also, the orange low fuel light stays on all the time now too. Does anyone know if each bulb socket that twists on the back of the cluster where the bulb fits in have to go in certain places or all they all the same? There are like 4 different colors, blue, black, green, and gray but they all look the same, I switched some around and it seemed like it fixed some of the other lights that were constantly running even though they shouldn't be. Also, the airbag light stays dimly lit on the cluster when the keys are removed from the ignition and the car is off and locked. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ALLWiTE2JZ; 11-16-12 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-16-12, 06:25 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The airbag light will turn on if you turned on the engine while the cluster was off. OLT made a DIY on how to reset it at LexTech.org, or you can search here. Also, the battery light, low gas warning light and airbag light are amperage sensitive warning lights. And since LED's have lower amperage than regular halogen bulbs, then they light up even when there's no problem. I actually just realized that now that you mention it, and has been running with all those 3 lights lit up ever since I converted mine to LED's. never really had time to look into it anyways, since I had plenty of maintenance to do on my SC. Lol
Old 11-16-12, 06:27 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Oh thanks, its good to know I didn't break anything while replacing the bulbs and needles!

So should I just put the stock incandescent bulbs back in those 3 that are giving me trouble and keep the rest LEDs?
Old 11-16-12, 06:30 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Yes. I'll do mine too, 'cause I hate too many lights on my dash, feels like Xmas tree in front of me since LED's are also too bright. Lol I must thank you too, 'cause I wouldn't have figured that out if you didn't create this thread. Lol

I was actually under my SC this morning looking for the engine ground thinking it was the one causing my battery light to turn on, 'cause I've had mine turned on since I bought the car, but that was because of a bad alternator and alternator connector wire. But 2 alternators later and a brand new battery it's still lit. OMFG I can't believe it took me this long to figure this out. Lol
Old 11-16-12, 09:22 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Yes. I'll do mine too, 'cause I hate too many lights on my dash, feels like Xmas tree in front of me since LED's are also too bright. Lol I must thank you too, 'cause I wouldn't have figured that out if you didn't create this thread. Lol

I was actually under my SC this morning looking for the engine ground thinking it was the one causing my battery light to turn on, 'cause I've had mine turned on since I bought the car, but that was because of a bad alternator and alternator connector wire. But 2 alternators later and a brand new battery it's still lit. OMFG I can't believe it took me this long to figure this out. Lol
I have so many lights pulled on my cluster from parts I've swapped out Can't stand having dash lights on
Old 11-17-12, 12:29 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Yo, I just fixed my low gas warning light and battery light right now. I just switched those 2 bulbs back to the regular filament, and boom, it's back to normal. Only thing I need to do now is reset the airbag light. Here's a guide for you;
http://lextech.org/forums/index.php?topic=9.0
Old 11-18-12, 10:31 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Alright cool, I'll try to get take it apart again sometime this week and give it a shot. Glad I wasn't the only one with the problem!
Old 11-19-12, 05:34 PM
chrisindub
Pole Position

Is there anything wrong with just pulling the bulb on the airbag warning light? The airbag will still work even if the light is on correct?
Old 11-19-12, 05:41 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Nope, it wouldn't. The reason it's on is the ECU thinks it already deployed/there's something wrong with it.