Re-Wiring Head Unit to A/M Amp

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-12, 04:49 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Re-Wiring Head Unit to A/M Amp

Hey guys!

I just installed a Alpine mono amp in my sc300. The car came with a aftermarket head unit already installed so I thought the job of wiring would be smooth. Any who this is what it looks like now.
(the Orange rod has the New RCA cables and remote wire attached I'm just not sure where to wire them)
Any info on rewiring what this guys has done to get mine working would be great! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Re-Wiring Head Unit to A/M Amp-sc300-11-22.jpg  
Old 11-22-12, 09:01 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 357 Likes on 229 Posts

Any info on rewiring what this guys has done to get mine working would be great! Thanks!
You're saying someone else has done this in your car, or done work? If so the proper step to starting an install is to remove anyone else's mess immediately and start from the start.
Old 11-22-12, 09:56 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

No no they installed a pioneer cd player and removed the stock head unit. It appears they used the adaptor for the harness and re wired the stock amp into the head unit but I never got any sound from the stock amp and sub in the first place.
Old 11-23-12, 07:13 AM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a thread in the audio section that goes over connecting an aftermarket to the stock amp and sub. The most important first step, as mentioned, is to remove all previous work and start from scratch to insure a quality install. The mess I had by the first owner... oh man... I wouldnt wish such a mess on my worst enemy.
Old 11-23-12, 07:29 AM
sidwin
Pole Position

looks like a pair of those rca connect to no where...i'm guessing that's the stock sub.

they used the metra harness to go to the stock amp. if you are going with your own amp then toss the metra harness out. raine has a thread on how to do the stock radio that i followed. there were a couple of errors if your car has nak setup. but other than that it's pretty straight forward but rather time consuming.
Old 11-23-12, 09:08 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by Devor
No no they installed a pioneer cd player and removed the stock head unit. It appears they used the adaptor for the harness and re wired the stock amp into the head unit but I never got any sound from the stock amp and sub in the first place.
Depends on if they did an amp bypass or not, which is why you need to start over.
Old 11-23-12, 04:40 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Yes the RCA Cables I unplugged them To get a btter view of the back as it was kinda snug. The previous owner had just swaped the stock head unit and tried to wire the factory amp and sub with some after market adaptor. Ok well it looks like I'll have to do some more digging on here.
Old 11-23-12, 04:45 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Alot of these aftermarket headunits have had installed a ground loop isolator. Keep that in mind. These are also rca fed.
Old 11-24-12, 12:31 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

If you start at the start with nothing in and do a full amp bypass you can control the way everything goes in. All you need at the head unit is the three power related wires, then a few rca's. At the back you can choose to convert the RCA's back to high level if you want to use the stock amp for the mids, or just use them in the aftermarket amp setup. Just depends on what you are doing, but you need NOTHING factory doing an amp bypass.
Old 11-24-12, 10:52 AM
Devor
Pit Crew

Well Im installing a new 10" inch alpine in the stock sub spot, and I am running a new Alpine mono amp. So nothing is going to be factory. I've already installed the amp and sub and have all the wiring done. All that's left to do is wire the New mono amp to the aftermarket head unit. But as you can see I have a set of RCA cables that the old guy installedinto the wireharness when he put this AM pioneer head unit in, it looks like that Metra harness your talking about. I'm just a little tossed here cause I'm not sure on how he wired it all in and if I need to re connect anything

Last edited by Devor; 11-24-12 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-24-12, 10:56 AM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Remove all old wires. When I pulled my carpet I had like 2 power lines and 6 wiring lines running from deck to the rear, most were unused. I dont know what the hell previous owner was trying to do but he (or the shop he went to) had no clue what they were doing. If you didnt install it, remove it.
Old 11-24-12, 01:27 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Ok I got the wiring harness out and here is what I'm looking at. It looks like he used a adaptor to plug into the stock wire harness and then bridged the RCA cables into the the new harness.
Attached Thumbnails Re-Wiring Head Unit to A/M Amp-sc300-2.jpg  
Old 11-24-12, 03:29 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Okay so I guess my question is this.

Can I just re-connect the Green and Purple wires to the aftermarket harness and input my New RCA cables(from the new mono amp) into the Head unit? I've herd there is a another amp in the back im not sure if that controls the rear 4" speakers.
Old 11-24-12, 03:36 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

I'd say mess with the aftermarket harness you have. If you have a mono aftermarket amp, no reason at all to connect anything to anything stock, especially that you have an aftermarket radio. Direct connection between amp and headunit via RCA is sufficient.

As for the harness, read the huge thread in the audio section on what to connect from the oem harness to the aftermarket headunit and locate the necessary wires on the aftermarket harness to have a better idea on whats going on. Mine had no oem harness so it was a direct connection. No difference except there is no cutting involved.
Old 11-24-12, 03:59 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

I think I am just gonna cut out these RCA cables he had hooked up and re-wire the cables to each harness. Then run the new RCA cables in and see where it goes

Quick Reply: Re-Wiring Head Unit to A/M Amp