SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sc300 engine tare down/ rebuild/ maybe turbo/ pic heavy :D

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 07:50 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if you are planning on running the aristo ecu, you will have to stick with the toyota style coils (because ecu needs an IGF from ignitor). Lq9 will not give an IGF to the ecu, only works with standalones.
I would recommend using the 2jzge vvti coils, they should get you to 900hp without any hiccups and easily outperform the TT coils.
Old 12-04-12, 11:32 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^^^^^^ Now that I didnt know about the coils. Maybe something to keep in mind, if my 1JZ ever lets go.

BTW, the build transformatio is coming along quite nicely. I remember when I was building mine like it was yesterday. Keep the progress and pictures coming.

Welcome to the SC community...
Old 12-04-12, 12:00 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
if you are planning on running the aristo ecu, you will have to stick with the toyota style coils (because ecu needs an IGF from ignitor). Lq9 will not give an IGF to the ecu, only works with standalones.
I would recommend using the 2jzge vvti coils, they should get you to 900hp without any hiccups and easily outperform the TT coils.
Ali the gm coils will work on the stock ecu , just leave the stock na ignitor in place and you are good to go!
Or you can buy this small box from rick at Speedtech that will need to be wired and you are back in business.

After lurking on the GS forum , i have seen a couple guys atleast 5 or 6 people having issues with their vvti coils, maybe they are old but they had to gap their plugs down to .019 which is not good if you are trying to make power.

So i think it comes down to if you have some new coils or used coils. There is another guy with proefi on his GS with aristo swap making over 600whp and had to gap his plug to .019 or .020

And then 2 other locals are going through the same issue on aem v2.

So with brand new IS300 you will be fine at higher boost.
Old 12-04-12, 12:28 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Ali the gm coils will work on the stock ecu , just leave the stock na ignitor in place and you are good to go!
Or you can buy this small box from rick at Speedtech that will need to be wired and you are back in business.

After lurking on the GS forum , i have seen a couple guys atleast 5 or 6 people having issues with their vvti coils, maybe they are old but they had to gap their plugs down to .019 which is not good if you are trying to make power.

So i think it comes down to if you have some new coils or used coils. There is another guy with proefi on his GS with aristo swap making over 600whp and had to gap his plug to .019 or .020

And then 2 other locals are going through the same issue on aem v2.

So with brand new IS300 you will be fine at higher boost.
The stock na ignitor does not work with the aristo ecu, what you are saying might work with the vvti ignitor or tt ignitor, if you can leave those in the mix and also run the lq9, that could work but I haven't seen it yet or the wiring for it. the box I have heard of but never seen for sale, will have to look into that.

I just don't see how the vvti coils can cause issues there are members running it with lots of power not having to do that, they could have other issues that is causing them to gap down their plugs that far. We can at least agree that the vvti coils are much better than TT coils, and the easiest to install on an na-t.
No doubt LQ9 coils will be the best if there is a way to wire it up and I imagine they need a FFIM.
Old 12-04-12, 12:53 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

for example haltech doesn't like the vvti coils , you will need a dli with that, and the IS300 guys pull them off and replace them with tt coils. because 98% of the IS guys are on haltech.
Mo from SRT racing is running tt coils on his IS300, and he had a bunch of coils sitting at the shop when i was going with the vvti coils 5 years ago.

You don't need a ffim with the lq9, you can just mount them like the electromotive coils setup.

the member on here is Mpelicas he is a buddy of mine with an IS300 with 2jzte non vvti swap and kept his stock IS coils and ignitor he is on aem v2 , 2jzgtte he is from FL he is on Proefi Errol from TPS installed the unit and Tuned his car , and the other local guy is twoloose he has a GS300 with aristo vvti swap with asingle turbo making a little under 500whp on aem v2 also lol.

I have the box from Rick , there is a guy on SF that installed it on his mk4 and it worked with the stock ignitor in place.

All i am saying is if your coils are old no matter how great they work and how much power they can handle they will more perform great.

Reason why i don't buy used coils, VVti i bought brand new, LQ9 i also bought brand new.

Again i am not saying they don't work , my GS is not boosted but it has 260k miles and i willnot put those coils on my SC and except them to hold 30 psi on .28 gap plugs. they work great on my gs but they will not work on my SC.

Ali , it just needs to see a signal from the ignitor to the ecu at pin 58b and it will work.
Old 12-04-12, 12:56 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not take it to a machine shop to get checked over?
The ridge is a bad bad thing if you can fell it with your finger nail and as stated above a ball hone is best but with that kind of mileage I would bet the cylinder bore is egg shaped by now and most likely needs an over bore.
Old 12-04-12, 02:24 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

thanks for the info, I didn't know about the haltech stuff. I only suggested cause the OP said using the aristo ecu.