SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

searching for vis bodykit

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-02, 05:43 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very strange.... They only have one mold for the kit. How can they be off by so much? My kit is off by less than 1/4" Now 5" too wide? How can you explain a mold stretching that much? I can't. My kit fits fine without doing anything to the reinforcement. Yes they require modifications. But they are not off by that much.

For those with the kit and can't seem to fit it:
Vis does not have these kits pre-drilled. I think they have like 2 or 4 predrilled holes, but that is it. You will have the drill them yourself.. Make sure you drill them after you have the kit lined up as close as you can. It will require alot of shoving. Make sure your high beam lights are all unscrewed so they are loose. You sides on the front bumper will be tricky, drilling a hole to fit perfectly was a pain in the .... I ended up using washers and a bolt to secure the side in place... This prevents my kit from cracking if I scrape or hit something hard. The worse than happens is that it pops out and I have the resecure it. It also holds tight, so it won't wobble when you are driving.

My kit was hard for me to install... When my team mate got his, it was alot easier. His front bumper was just ugly looking when we got it. The grill section where the high beams are were angled at 45 degrees.... We took an hour to finally get everything in and he used the stock bumpers side screws to hold the sides down on the front. Same as what I did, clamped it. His front turned out better than mine.

Sorry to hear that some of you guys are having a hard time with the kit. I will be raising my car with supra TT springs, getting an alignment, and getting my exhaust installed soon. I am going to put the stock bumpers and sides back on. If you want, I can take some pics when I am taking it apart. This will probably give you guys an idea on what to do.
Old 12-09-02, 03:03 PM
wolfy187
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forget this craziness.

this has come up too much. GET THE ORIGINAL. its worth the piece of mind. I got mine 3 years ago and have not had too think about it again besides trying to clear driveways. I don't know what this is about shaving your reinforcement bar but my Vertex kit had no issues. went right on.

if you want to seee how it looks; go to www.toyomoto.com my car is the one that is the Sc300 icon.

Arthur
Old 12-10-02, 09:51 AM
Bladez42598
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No body kit that I have come across in my life has needed more modifications than VIS's body kit. For a kit that is made by them specifically for our SC's it sure doesn't seem like it. And I have to back up a previous post I read. When you get a good quality body kit "NO MODIFICATIONS, REALLY HAVE TO BE DONE". My bomex kit fit on like a glove right out of the box (NO SHAVING OR NOTHING INVOLVED). Why? because it was a kit produced for our SC and wasn't rushed and made in mass production.

In my time dealing with VIS I have seen the same exact body kit come to people with either the front bumper to wide/side skirts to wide and in some cases to short/rear bumper to wide and in some cases to short........THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO MAKE UP THERE DAMN MIND AS TO THE MEASURMENTS THEY WANT THIS KIT TO BE, IT SEEMS LIKE THEY JUST KEEP MAKING NEW LENGTHS IN HOPES THAT THEY WILL EVENTUALLY MAKE AN ACCURATE ONE.
Old 12-16-02, 05:00 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by wolfy187
Forget this craziness.

this has come up too much. GET THE ORIGINAL. its worth the piece of mind. I got mine 3 years ago and have not had too think about it again besides trying to clear driveways. I don't know what this is about shaving your reinforcement bar but my Vertex kit had no issues. went right on.

if you want to seee how it looks; go to www.toyomoto.com my car is the one that is the Sc300 icon.

Arthur
EXACTLY! Folks, do it right the FIRST TIME. Don't "jackass" your ride with fake crap...leave that to ricers...
Old 12-16-02, 05:34 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

yea listen to arthur...get the original...i've seen a couple of the VIS Kits around so. cali, and none of them even came close to lookin as good as arts, and this is all from eye witness accounts. Since i went wit art to get the kit on i kno exactly how well it fits...and the VIS kit....even with all the mods...gaps all over the place...and lookin seriously ****ty. DONT EVEN THINK TWICE!! GET THE REAL ONE! u will b much happier in the end. VI**** is crap...never ever get anything from there. They run the shadiest buisness ever...they will undercut their own distributors juss to make a sell.

Boris
Old 12-16-02, 11:48 PM
soaringhigh
Rookie

to install the kit you have to take off the factory pieces.thats why most people have problems with their kit. mine was fine and i know alot of other people didn't have problems. they sell so many kits and hearing a couple of complaints dont change the fact that they sell the most kits in the us, almost everyone know somebody with a kit from vis, so they cant be that bad, only bad installers. go to any car show and you will see many vis kits in the winners circle.
Old 12-17-02, 02:21 AM
ToyoBeastly
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

if you cant afford to do it right, dont do it at all, or just keep saving

i got a VIS kit for my Mitsu, and it cost me $1200 to install the damn thing cuz it had to be modified soooo much.....not worth it, buy the real thing, and be happier

just my opinion
Old 12-17-02, 11:54 PM
Bladez42598
Pole Position

I would really like to see a car at a car show with a VIS kit on it. There is no way that kit can go on looking 100% perfect. There is a shop here in Jersey that actually will sit down and design a body kit with you from scratch (custom 1 of a kind) but they charge like 7 grand...and the owner of the place told me as good to make the kit look perfect (which why put it on if it's not going to be that way) it would cost over 2g's to do it right. So, I would love to see close up pics of a car with a VIS body kit on it at a respectable car show, not some school yard show.
Old 12-18-02, 06:26 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

come down to a so. cal show... H.I.N showoff or whatever... You will see alot of VIS kits..

Here is the owners R33.
Attached Thumbnails searching for vis bodykit-aeg1.jpg  
Old 12-18-02, 08:34 AM
Bladez42598
Pole Position

Yea, the owner's. I'm sure he made sure his kit was the right dimensions and measurments. Like I said they only care about themselves nobody else. And that kit does look very neat, CAN ANYBODY SHOW ME A PERFECT V-SPEED KIT ON A LEXUS SC. Unfortunately I have not or have yet to hear from somebody that has. All lexus's with that kit on have nice gaps or week kit pieces (DUE TO THE EXCESSIVE STRETCHING REQUIRED).

HONESTLY STOP DEFENDING PEOPLE THAT HAVE RIPPED US OFF.
Old 12-18-02, 04:54 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

hey Sc4oo..i think i have seen ur car around in SGV area?...white sc with the vis kit right from autobots? if thats ur car no offense...but i remember seeing some nasty gaps between the kit...
Old 12-18-02, 11:47 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

awl man all that typing and my post didnt go through and everything erased.....

I am actually from Rowland, I don't go down to the SG area if that is what you mean, that would be the other member..

However, my kit has alot of flaws... Screws where they don't belong, not lining up, and etc.. But I still get compliments from all sorts of car owners...

Considering the price most of you guys would pay for the VIS kit, around $800 and have no idea how to modify it to fit, you might as well go for the VERTEX around $2000-$2500. I've heard of some shops charging $500+ to fit it.. If you are a perfectionist, go for the real one.
Old 12-20-02, 03:54 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

is ur SC the one with the big JDM VIP looking rims? im not sure how to explain it except for a lot of metal...i think i've seen ur SC in the area also. Dont you guys have some chick with a baby blue/pink lude? i think? has a lot of graphics and ish on it. But yea i have had some rude bump ins with members from ur crew. u seem like one of the nicer guys. =D

Anyhow...im not a big fan of VIS...dont and will never like anything they produce....i actually kno the guy who made their website and got a bunch of his body work and stuff from his car there and he doesnt like them either. I heard most of the old school guys who used to work there quit and are working for other places now. dunno if any of its true or not...but thats wat i keep hearing through the grapevine. Most of the people who i kno have dealt with VIS have bad...actually HORRIBLE experiences...so i wouldnt recommend them to anyone....
Old 12-20-02, 06:45 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

My rims are Will's old rims. The big of metal ones with holes lol.. Yeah we have an Accord that is baby blue with pink interior. Sorry to hear about the bump ins with other members. It is true that most of the workers before don't work there anymore..
Old 12-22-02, 03:49 PM
RiceFx306
Driver School Candidate

I got a Veilside style replica for my MR2 turbo from VIS Racing and it took for ever. The side skirt fit horrible. A lot of custom fiberglassing had to be done. Looked hella nice by the time I was done though. Looked real clean. Took a total of three weeks to rip off half the side skirt and take front end off. Looked nice atthe time though. When I save up for a SC300 5 spd. I'll just go ahead an buy the real deal Veilside, but thats just me.

Quick Reply: searching for vis bodykit