SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Want RideSkinz to produce Clear SC Headlight Lenses? [Post up!]

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-12, 02:43 PM
Casper9604
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in 100%!!! I'm building a show car quality street car (hopefully) so glass would also be preferred here, but i'm game either way.
Old 11-26-12, 02:52 PM
DallasSC
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in but like others, I am concerned about turn around time, cost for the lenses and durability over time.
Old 11-26-12, 02:53 PM
SkyySC
Driver School Candidate

Any way you could offer them already assembled on the headlight housing?

I don't trust myself taking apart the headlight :/
Old 11-26-12, 02:57 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Not be to be a debby downer, but say if you guys do make it in glass and it shatters a few months down the line. People will complain how the quality isn't there. Also all the people who say they are down for the group buy, once its time to cough up money they all run.
Old 11-26-12, 03:01 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Not be to be a debby downer, but say if you guys do make it in glass and it shatters a few months down the line. People will complain how the quality isn't there. Also all the people who say they are down for the group buy, once its time to cough up money they all run.
I can only speak for myself. I've always wanted super made lenses so if these get made and don't cost an arm an a leg, I'm definitively in...Your still a debby downer
Old 11-26-12, 03:11 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

This is more of a thread for showing an interest for the product. many of us already know or have experienced both positive and negative group buy's and we don't need to keep reliving those moments.
If you are excited about clear lenses, and you know it, post it up. that is all.

Lexan would probably be stronger than glass but take more maintenance.
one really good product is that clear protectant sheet you can put on your leses, and peel them off when they get pitted, that way the actual lens doesn't get as much abuse. I think Lexan lenses and a pair of those covers (think cell phone screen protector) would be best of both worlds.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-26-12 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-26-12, 03:13 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys, I have a lot of experience with these...In fact, I almost tabled the whole headlight project because the clear lenses are crap from ebay, and have to be trimmed a lot to make them fit, plus they stress crack easily from heat or leaning on them while working on the car. The Supermades fit perfectly, but they are too soft. I do not think glass is the way to go, and they would possibly require much from RideSkinz for DOT compliance...I prefer that RideSkinz come out with a high quality Plastic lens made out of the material like my Mercedes E550 is made from...Two years and they still look like brand new. No fading, no cracking, no discoloration. They rock! Plus glass is very heavy, and would be hard to fit onto the headlight housing. WHile they are at it, they should make a set of High beams as well. I can supply the lenses for both. You guys gotta step up with the money here though...To RideSkinz so they can do this. I will take 3 sets my self, and pay the three deposits, as I need them and soon! My Project debuts at the Daytona Beach Spring Break Nationals in March 2013! SO I am ready to send them off if we get the commitments.

Ryan
Old 11-26-12, 03:16 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

RideSkinz,

Count me in for 3 sets. Let me know the deposit, and I will send it in via PayPal now!

Ryan
SC400TT
Old 11-26-12, 03:22 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

BTW,

These crappy ebay headlights cost around $200 for the set, and you have to heat them up, trim the heck out of them, and hope they fit well enough to seal properly...That does not include the stress cracking, and I keep my car in the garage!

Old 11-26-12, 03:26 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would only be interested if there were matching high beams and fog light lenses to go with them.
Old 11-26-12, 03:28 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^ that would be dope, so clean!
Old 11-26-12, 03:33 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

My headlight project...And I eliminated the LED's...Look like crap in daylight, like Christmas tree lights. I came up with a much better solution and it will be revealed at the show...

Pre-Lens Cover:

Post Lens COver (SuperMade):

This completely modernizes the outward appearance of the SC...

Any questions???

Ryan
SC400TT

Last edited by SC400TT; 11-26-12 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-26-12, 03:42 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Not be to be a debby downer,
Yes, you are being a debby downer. Any thing can break technically-- iPhones, body kits, bones, etc.
Lets keep the thread on track please, this is an interest thread.

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Many of us already know or have experienced both positive and negative group buy's and we don't need to keep reliving those moments.
If you are excited about clear lenses, and you know it, post it up.

one really good product is that clear protectant sheet you can put on your leses, and peel them off when they get pitted, that way the actual lens doesn't get as much abuse. I think Lexan lenses and a pair of those covers (think cell phone screen protector) would be best of both worlds.
Great points! Those headlight lense protectors are available I used to have a set when I had my SuperMade projects going on a couple years ago! Also come in various shades/colors.

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Hey guys, I have a lot of experience with these...The Supermades fit perfectly, but they are too soft. I do not think glass is the way to go, and they would possibly require much from RideSkinz for DOT compliance...I prefer that RideSkinz come out with a high quality Plastic lens made out of the material like my Mercedes E550 is made from...Two years and they still look like brand new. No fading, no cracking, no discoloration. They rock! Plus glass is very heavy, and would be hard to fit onto the headlight housing. While they are at it, they should make a set of High beams as well. I can supply the lenses for both. You guys gotta step up with the money here though...To RideSkinz so they can do this. I will take 3 sets my self, and pay the three deposits, as I need them and soon! My Project debuts at the Daytona Beach Spring Break Nationals in March 2013! SO I am ready to send them off if we get the commitments.

Ryan
I'll be personally buying a set myself- and good point to think on about the Highbeam lenses to go with them of the same material. Worth thinking about.

About the DOT compliance- I think that RideSkinz can just include a form that says this product is for show use only. I've seen that used on several aftermarket products thus it is then up to the buyer if they want to use it on the street- and there will be no troubles with DOT or law enforcement situations.

Originally Posted by Kohinoor
i would only be interested if there were matching high beams and fog light lenses to go with them.
That's even ANOTHER good idea... A full lighting combo set! If the Clear Headlight lense groupbuy goes well I can imagine RideSkinz making the other lenses sort of like the kit that they are piecing together front lip first, then rear, sides, etc. Though it would be cool to do all of them at once. How much would you pay for a 6 lens set? Then it would have to be decided- make the 92-94 fogs? 95-96 fogs? Or 97-00 fogs? ALL Fogs! hah ok that might be going too far?

My prior experience/projects with SuperMade clear lowbeam lenses and Ebay clear lenses over the factory highbeam housings:

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 11-28-12 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-26-12, 03:53 PM
tanooki
Driver School Candidate

Hope you are willing to ship these internationally (especially Australia) - you'll make a bucket load of cash.
Old 11-26-12, 04:36 PM
YanoYano
Driver

im down for this unless you jack up the price :P

Quick Reply: Want RideSkinz to produce Clear SC Headlight Lenses? [Post up!]