Advice needed on rolling/pulling fenders

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-12, 03:41 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Advice needed on rolling/pulling fenders

Hey guys ,

ive done alot of research but most of what i come up with is the eastwood roller or ghetto jobs with baseball bats or phone books.

Ill try to make this short and to the point,,i am experianced with body work , but ive never done a fender roll, body shops here in Toronto (ive called many) dont know how or dont do fender rolling professionally.

So my plan is to put the car on the lift at my mechanics, remove the trim, and use a rubber mallet and maybe a felt pad or some kind of medium beetween to minimize the impact marks and try to bash the panels outwards as much as possible.

Then use my body work skills to smooth out all the imperfections afterwards.

Is this a technique that others have used? I have no access to an eastwood roller,,,and it seems like the only way I can get this done at this point? Is there a better way ?

ANY advice is really apreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 12-02-12 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-02-12, 03:48 PM
thm8d
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have rolled my fenders with a eastwood fender roller and pipes to roll fenders. I must say, using pipes gave it the cleanest roll without any creases. It all depends on how rolled you want the fenders. Eventually the paint will start cracking because the paint cant be stretched too much. I personally prefer to shave the fenders and then hit it with some clear coat
Old 12-02-12, 03:54 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

thanks man^^

i seen some clean jobs on youtube with rolling pipes and even bats, ive considered trying it ,,in terms of the paint chipping i dont care my car is unfinished now and needs a paint job afterwards anyways ,,,,,,would u recomend rolling a pipe first instead of my technique?

and i need an extreme pull as im going to try to fit 13's in the rear ,,,,but i am on stock hight for now so im hopinjg to be able to pull it off without cutting/welding the qp's.

Thanks man
Old 12-02-12, 04:13 PM
joeazy187
Pole Position

I just pulled my rear quarters and with no prior experience it came out really good I had a fender roller but to be honest it was my buddy and his experience rolling fender with a bat that helped move it along. I can't wait to see how those 13s look or even better how you get them to fit without cutting or welding . Good luck
Old 12-02-12, 04:36 PM
jschru
Driver

you can rent an eastwood fender roller online for about $50. I highly recommend getting one or using a fender roller. if you don't know what you are doing and try to use a hammer or pipe to roll your fenders it will do more bad than good. also be sure to have a heat gun handy and use it to heat the area which you are rolling/pulling to avoid or minimize any paint cracking. the metal should be warm to the touch, too cool and your paint will crack, too hot and your paint will bubble or peel. just take your time and everything should go well. good luck!
Old 12-02-12, 04:38 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

thanks guys ^im gonna try everything i can to not start cutting and welding ,,i am confident i can pull it off i just need a little advice before i jump into it , u only get one shot at a thing like this.

and just so u guys know ,,i need a pull of at least 2 inches ,,,it seems reasonable but then again ive never done it b4

and ive looked into eastwood fender ollers but u guys havr to understand in canada we have very limited access to the things u states guys have,,i havent been able to find one as of yet

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 12-02-12 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-02-12, 04:44 PM
thm8d
Pole Position

Attempt to roll it with a pipe, progress with bigger pipes slowly. Once its rolled at a good angle, hit it with a rubber/plastic mallet to flatten it.
Old 12-02-12, 04:53 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

lol ok i located an eastwood roller for $50

im assuming this gadget can give me the agreesive pull i need,,,is there anyone i can keep in touch with if i have any questions on how to use it ? I seen them use it on youtube but it doesnt get into details on a step by step.

He will rent it to me for 5 days which is plenty of time to get it right.
Old 12-02-12, 05:00 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

thanks guys i think with this roller and a bit of hammering i should be okay now ,,really appreaciate the advice

the guy renting it to me has agreed to give me a step by step, thank you
Old 12-02-12, 05:25 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Post up results.. I think 2" pull with a fender roller is not happening, to put it in perspective the k&m rear over fenders are 50mm (2".....) and you can see it's quite a large difference shown below on JDMmuscle's

Not saying it's impossible, but it's going to be tricky. I'm just glad you're already due for paint
Old 12-02-12, 06:35 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

lol chirss dont scare me man

i also dont see this eastwood roller doing agreesive pulls ,,,its called a roller ,,not a puller ,,,,thats why i think in the end it will be me and a rubber mallet and some elbow grease

i will surely post pics though and let u guys know if i was able to do it

i might not even waste the 50$ on this thing because from what i see its made to roll lips, not to pull the fenders out agresively ,,maybe im wrong idk, im gonna talk more details with the guy

thanks

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 12-02-12 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-02-12, 06:46 PM
KaiFD3S
Rookie

Makes it easier if you have a friend with you heating up the fenders as you roll it..
Old 12-02-12, 06:52 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

***** my friend I`m scared for you! on the note of the whole mallet thing.. hell yeah that can work I got my front fenders to pull a whole lot using that and my friends home made roller/puller (scissor jack modded with skateboard wheels welded to a wheel spacer basically the same as eastwood, he did a great job making it actually) I'm sure you could bang it out a whole lot as long as you are willing to put the time in to finish the body work after as you mentioned you've got experience doing so. I wish that k&m were cheaper than $1200 a pair they're the only over fender I'd consider since I can use oem bumpers still for the subtle look
Old 12-02-12, 10:44 PM
andrew7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kaifd3s
Makes it easier if you have a friend with you heating up the fenders as you roll it..
Yep, I always heat up the fender a bit when rolling them, I would recommend doing that.
Old 12-18-12, 11:24 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so...you pull it?

Quick Reply: Advice needed on rolling/pulling fenders