SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DIY Tilt Steering repair in detail

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 09:28 AM
Piratse
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Tilt Steering repair in detail

All credit (as far as I know) goes to c_irie. His write up was done in 2002 but there wasn't as much detail as some may need. I went back and did it again with more detail for those who may not know some of the assumed things in his thread. Save yourself $800+ at the dealer and try this first for less than $1.
Original Thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ng-repair.html

I hope this updated version helps! This was done on a 1993 SC300. Total work time 15-20 minutes. Difficulty: Easy.

The tools you will need:
Sockets: 8 and 10 mm
Curved pick
Socket Wrench (possibly with extension, depends on your sockets.)
Phillips head screwdriver
2-3(depending on how bad your gear is worn out) rubber washers 7x16x1x1/6 (at Lowe's hardware; $0.92 for two as of this writing)

Next you need to remove three screws. Two on the bottom side of the steering column plastic and one directly behind the steering wheel itself. To get to the one behind the steering wheel, have your key in the ignition and rotate the wheel until you can get your screw driver in. It is best to put your key in the ignition and have the steering column as far out as it can go(pull the button on the side towards you to extend the column closer to the driver).

After the screws are loosened the bottom half of the plastic surround should pop off by hand, you may need to work it a bit, depending on your car. You only need to remove the bottom half.

On the left hand side (the side with the button for the tilt function) you will see three 8mm bolts/screw heads (they are in pretty tight so I recommend the socket). Un-do all three.

The bottom left screw, as you will see, is attached to a bracket. On the bottom of the column there is a 10mm bolt that you will need to LOOSEN, not remove, so that you can remove the gear cover.

The metal cover should either fall off or easily be removed now. (the cover that was held in by the three 8mm bolts/screws) and you will see the gear and worm gear exposed now. Remove the 10mm bolt and washer that holds the blue gear into place. Mine was easily removable but some people will have a problem with it spinning. If that is the issue, try to wedge the pick in the gear to keep it from moving, but do not push too hard and risk breaking anything.

Now take your curved pick and pry the gear out. You will see what looks like a key attached to the screw (note in the picture above). The gear has a cut out in the center that will slide over that so do not worry. It may take some force, mine was a bit tight.

The teeth on the blue gear get worn down over time. You can buy a new gear if you would like but washers work just fine. Once the gear is out place 2 washers where the gear was. Sorry for the blurry pic.

Then place the blue gear back into position and test it out. Now at this time you can add more of the lexus grease but as there looks to be plenty to spare I did not need it. Now It should be working fine! Just re-assemble in reverse order and you are good to go!

Last edited by Piratse; 12-04-12 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-04-12, 09:38 AM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a screw driver for all screws and bent paper clips to remove the worm gear, caveman style . Great contribution nonetheless.
Old 12-04-12, 09:41 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice job, this is one of those things that I always want to do but never get around to it (just like my trunk struts lol).
Old 12-04-12, 09:44 AM
Piratse
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kalogerus
I used a screw driver for all screws and bent paper clips to remove the worm gear, caveman style . Great contribution nonetheless.
That is caveman style! I tried to use a paper clip and it wasn't even close. I had to put some muscle into it even using the pick! Mine was tight!
Old 12-04-12, 09:51 AM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Piratse
That is caveman style! I tried to use a paper clip and it wasn't even close. I had to put some muscle into it even using the pick! Mine was tight!
Its not "tight" per se, its just the way it is mounted will prevent it from coming out when you pull from one side. That is why I used 2 paper clips on opposite sides and wiggled them around. At least that was mine. I refuse to buy tools I will only use once for a $1 mod lol.
Old 12-04-12, 10:00 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great writeup. I did this about 4-5 years ago, and it's worked great ever since! This should be added to the FAQ if it hasn't been already.
Old 12-04-12, 10:38 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Nice job, this is one of those things that I always want to do but never get around to it (just like my trunk struts lol).
LoL I know exactly what u mean Shane, I had my trunk strut layin in my trunk for lke 2 months beofe i did them this past weekend. Hopefully I can get around to fixing my tilt before the year ends
Old 12-04-12, 11:13 AM
Tam4511
Driver

this thread helped me fix mine! thanks!
Old 12-04-12, 11:20 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I love the $1 fixes on any Lexus model. A nice contribution I might add. Updates are always welcome.
Old 12-04-12, 03:47 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice write up bro, I'm glad you're tackling things yourself with the LEX. Give me a call this weekend bro!

steve
Old 12-05-12, 11:26 AM
Piratse
Rookie

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Nice write up bro, I'm glad you're tackling things yourself with the LEX. Give me a call this weekend bro!

steve
No doubt man. We are having a tech day here at the house this weekend. Over 20 cars attending for free tech service. Should be fun, if you make it to Houston come on by.
Old 02-16-13, 12:35 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm trying to do this now, and am having trouble removing the last bolt holding on the blue gear. When I try to turn it the whole gear just turns with it. I've tried jamming in a screw driver into the gear to hold it in place, but it still turns and I'm worried it'll strip the gear..
Anyone use a diffrerent method that I'm missing to get this last (half-circle) bolt off?
Attached Thumbnails DIY Tilt Steering repair in detail-20121203_155348.jpg  

Last edited by scENFORCER; 02-16-13 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-16-13, 02:47 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never mind. I didnt realize the blue gear slid out over top of that last nut (which isint moveable) until I watched the youtube video.
Tilt steering is now fixed!
Old 02-17-13, 06:10 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Never mind. I didnt realize the blue gear slid out over top of that last nut (which isint moveable) until I watched the youtube video.
Tilt steering is now fixed!
It had been awhile since I had done this mod also. I didn't think it moved. At least you got it figured out and it is fixed!
Old 05-19-13, 09:44 AM
jwb9
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the post.
I just did this repair on mt 99 SC400, looking through my hardware for the right washer took longer than the repair.
Time 40 minutes, cost $0.00
In case this happens again I ordered a new gear through Amazon for $15.00 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JV4UWQ
Lexus of Orlando said I needed a new steering coulumn.

Quick Reply: DIY Tilt Steering repair in detail