SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Stripper Gave Me A Lexus, Bought 1JZ Front Clip For It Today

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 05:17 PM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BangarangX
Not going right hand drive, gentlemen, but I did pick up the power folding mirrors today, and the mirror lenses are getting changed out so they correctly work with the LHD chassis.

When all is said and done, a friend of mine is paying me $800 for the remainder of the clip, so skipping RHD is also going to save me some change.

I frequently find myself between here, Belle Glade, and also Tampa. Lots of 2-lane passing. Not trying to be on the wrong side of the car when I try to pull those maneuvers.

Trying to figure out what clutch I am going to pick up. I have alot of experience with the ACT 6-puck/sprung-hub, and never had a problem with it, but there is definitely a lot more on the market than I remember. Doing a forum search on this matter right now.

Edit: OS Giken Triple-Disc Carbon ordered. I really wanted the Tilton, but we'll save the $6000 clutch for another day, perhaps.
tilton is def the way to go
Old 01-01-13, 05:59 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
make sure u dont catch a desease from sitting in the seats

and please dont post above or under me as im cautious about a man that thinks its cool to have relations with a stripper.
Originally Posted by GS FONZy
Obviously not all strippers make a lot of money, hence look at the one that use to drive this SC300!
Lol

Welcome and congrats on the SC and front clip good luck with the build!
Old 01-01-13, 09:54 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow this sounds like it's coming together very well! Subscribed.
Old 01-01-13, 10:44 PM
BangarangX
Driver School Candidate

Son of a mother&($%$%$#% %$^&sucking duckf^&%*@# #$@%&. I caved in and decided to pull the trigger on the Tilton triple. I can't believe that upon receiving this car, I had planned only to repair the GE engine and give a cheap paint job and seat covers so I would have something more economical to drive than my V8s. WTF happened?

At this rate, I'm going to end up with some kind of car that all of the import rags are going to want to feature. I've been on Battle Version's website for the past 2 hours, and my trigger finger is getting itchy. If they had an order box for "everything", I'd have probably placed one by now. Very excited to get to the suspension, but I have to keep things in focus.

I must say, I never had any clue in the world that there was so much capability for expansion where these cars are concerned. I feel like a kid in a toy store.
Old 01-11-13, 07:44 PM
suprahero
Driver

WOW, the Tilton triple disc is not cheap. You must be planning on making some serious horsepower to need one of those. Either way, good luck with the restoration.
Old 01-11-13, 07:57 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is awesome, title is funny
Old 01-11-13, 10:22 PM
BangarangX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by suprahero
WOW, the Tilton triple disc is not cheap. You must be planning on making some serious horsepower to need one of those. Either way, good luck with the restoration.
It was a snowball situation. We went over what kind of power the finished product (next week) is going to make, and could not see my usual preference of ACT 6-puck holding the power well. At that point, I was looking at a bunch of $1500 clutches that have all had mixed reviews. Some people say they're awesome, other say they're garbage. So once I was looking at spending $1500 on a possible throwaway clutch, it came down to the OS Giken triple, which is a well-known and highly recommended big horsepower clutch. After asking the professional opinions of many former owners of the OS Giken triple, the same feedback was given: "It was awesome, but not as awesome as the Tilton."

So I said, f%&k it. Am I going to spend alot of money on a clutch I may not want, or an assload of money on a clutch that will stop the alien ship from destroying Earth in a flood because there are no longer whales in our ocean on 23rd century Earth?

I don't like the idea of seeing the money go, but I get the feeling I'm not going to need another clutch, especially since it is rebuildable. Tilton assures me that even if I decide to go V160/1 in the future, I do not have to change the entire clutch, but only parts of it. We will see, or maybe not.
Old 01-12-13, 04:54 AM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was a snowball situation. We went over what kind of power the finished product (next week) is going to make, and could not see my usual preference of ACT 6-puck holding the power well. At that point, I was looking at a bunch of $1500 clutches that have all had mixed reviews. Some people say they're awesome, other say they're garbage. So once I was looking at spending $1500 on a possible throwaway clutch, it came down to the OS Giken triple, which is a well-known and highly recommended big horsepower clutch. After asking the professional opinions of many former owners of the OS Giken triple, the same feedback was given: "It was awesome, but not as awesome as the Tilton."

So I said, f%&k it. Am I going to spend alot of money on a clutch I may not want, or an assload of money on a clutch that will stop the alien ship from destroying Earth in a flood because there are no longer whales in our ocean on 23rd century Earth?

I don't like the idea of seeing the money go, but I get the feeling I'm not going to need another clutch, especially since it is rebuildable. Tilton assures me that even if I decide to go V160/1 in the future, I do not have to change the entire clutch, but only parts of it. We will see, or maybe not.
First, congrats on your buy!

Tilton and Triple OS Giken Clutch ??

Who's giving you advice on your build? Correct me if I'm wrong but you're going to be running a
1J, so those clutches would be throwing away your money, complete overkill. You're going to be limited powerwise, as you're running a 1J and won't make anyway half the power that these clutches are rated for.

Lastly, does Tilton even make a clutch for the R154?
Old 01-12-13, 06:31 AM
BangarangX
Driver School Candidate

It won't be a waste when I reach my goal, which will be by the summer, being a built 2J bottom end. There is nowhere that has a Tilton 1J/R154 clutch sitting on the shelf. Had to be special ordered.
Old 01-12-13, 07:16 AM
suprahero
Driver

So let me get this right.......................There's an alien ship coming to destroy the world with a flood because we don't have any more whales? Where did the whales go? I love whales. This thread is starting to **** me off!!!!!!

I have a Carbonetics triple disc in my car right now. (my mkiii, not my lexus) It's a great clutch and I got it brand new for a great price, but I think the Tilton has got to be a little better. You have to heat this clutch up before you race or it will slip. Who has time to heat their clutch up when someone pulls up next to you going down the freaking highway.........ughhhhhh!!!!!!1
Old 01-12-13, 07:25 AM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It won't be a waste when I reach my goal, which will be by the summer, being a built 2J bottom end. There is nowhere that has a Tilton 1J/R154 clutch sitting on the shelf. Had to be special ordered.
What are your power goals??
Old 01-12-13, 08:02 AM
BangarangX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Wicked SC
What are your power goals??
I want at least 800 to the wheels. I knew I was lying to myself about my original intentions for this car. If there is a potential for power, I'm gonna pursue it. I want to drive it around for a couple of months on the basic 1J, because that will help for me not to think of it as a project car pushed to the bottom of my priorities.

So let me get this right.......................There's an alien ship coming to destroy the world with a flood because we don't have any more whales? Where did the whales go? I love whales. This thread is starting to **** me off!!!!!!
Star Trek IV can't be wrong.