SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just ordered some PBM...what else should I do while in there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 11:29 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

About time man, install and photoshoot asap!
Old 01-16-13, 11:40 AM
Pedestrian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have PBM coils and both front and rear Battle Version upper control arms. I plan on buying all the other components they have as well. I would strongly reccomend getting the control arms depending on how low you go. They work wonders on correcting camber issues
Old 01-16-13, 03:08 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, those look awesome
Old 01-16-13, 07:18 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pedestrian
I have PBM coils and both front and rear Battle Version upper control arms. I plan on buying all the other components they have as well. I would strongly reccomend getting the control arms depending on how low you go. They work wonders on correcting camber issues
Very good advice, man. I honestly want to do a full suspension overhaul since every under the car is so old. Control arms upper and lower, traction links, sway bar bushings, power steering bushings and the coils obviously. Still learning everything I can searching the forum before I buy anything else.
Originally Posted by Joey-E
Wow, those look awesome
Thank you, sir. In person they really shine.

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Sooooooo freaking SEXY!

Originally Posted by 2BENVD
About time man, install and photoshoot asap!
Asap may not be as soon as even I'd hope. Gotta do things right the first time though so I'm just gonna be patient and keep saving.
Old 02-01-13, 08:09 PM
Zinik
Rookie

any update on this??? i got a set i wanted to put on but ive ran into a sway bar problem. ive read that you want want little to no preload on on the sway bar but its so low that the sway bar almost/ will hit the lca when installed almost parallel with the mounting hole on the lca
Old 02-02-13, 10:56 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Zinik
any update on this??? i got a set i wanted to put on but ive ran into a sway bar problem. ive read that you want want little to no preload on on the sway bar but its so low that the sway bar almost/ will hit the lca when installed almost parallel with the mounting hole on the lca
I think you need shorter adjustable end links. I believe whiteline and battle version both offer parts.
Old 02-02-13, 07:40 PM
Zinik
Rookie

actually i figured it out >.> i was working on one side and forgot to unbolt the other side and i couldnt figure out why it wouldnt bend up.. one of those face palm moments and wasted hour of head scratching lol

Old 02-02-13, 10:56 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

How are your bushings? I did mine when I replaced the blown shocks on my 93 because the ca bushings were toast. Also did motor and trans mounts along with new rear alignment bolts.
Old 02-03-13, 05:23 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Update, did you get them installed yet or what? What did you decide to order and replace while you installed these?
Old 02-05-13, 09:07 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Sorry late reply!

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Update, did you get them installed yet or what? What did you decide to order and replace while you installed these?
Hey sorry. Have not yet. Still saving up to buy in one huge bundle and with school I'm getting less hours at work. But, I'm gonna do motor mounts, tie rods, traction links, and OEM bushings all around. Also this might all take longer since my power steering now needs a bit of fixing and school is quite heavy this semester.

A question to others...at the setting the coilovers came at, what height should I expect to be at? Do they all come with a decent setup or is major adjusting needed, or do I just install them all, see it sit, and adjust from there? Thanks. I'll probably just install and see it sit and adjust from there.
Old 02-06-13, 11:48 AM
jblack1018
Driver School Candidate

Hey if you not find the time to get these installed or need the xtra money for Books since that is the biggest rip off going to school. In 4 years of school i could have bought another car or 2 with what i spent on books haha. Let me know if this is the case and i will buy these off of you! if not good luck with the install and i look forward to seeing how your car sits!+
Old 02-06-13, 03:33 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ashtray
A question to others...at the setting the coilovers came at, what height should I expect to be at? Do they all come with a decent setup or is major adjusting needed, or do I just install them all, see it sit, and adjust from there? Thanks. I'll probably just install and see it sit and adjust from there.
They won't even bolt up to the car at the height out of the box. The shocks will be way too short. If I remember correctly there was a 2" gap between the shock bracket and the mounting hole on the shock. That was with a floor jack pushing the LCA up until the car started to lift off the jack stand. It has been a year or two since the last time I installed PBM coils, so it might have changed.

If you get the Supra/SC spec coils, then the damper itself is really short. I think they started offering a longer SC damper by request recently.
Old 02-06-13, 03:34 PM
Zinik
Rookie

the highest setting (4 full turns stated from pbm) is still low low lol

i would start there on one corner snug tighten everything pop the wheel back on then drop it down see if you want to go lower or not and then set the other 3 corners accordingly, remember to tighten everything back down if you like it the way it turns out the first time
Old 02-06-13, 03:38 PM
Zinik
Rookie

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
They won't even bolt up to the car at the height out of the box. The shocks will be way too short. If I remember correctly there was a 2" gap between the shock bracket and the mounting hole on the shock. That was with a floor jack pushing the LCA up until the car started to lift off the jack stand. It has been a year or two since the last time I installed PBM coils, so it might have changed.

If you get the Supra/SC spec coils, then the damper itself is really short. I think they started offering a longer SC damper by request recently.
yeah unscrew the bottom fork off and 4 turns in is the higest and you keep screwing it in to go lower.

i emailed pbm a few days ago to ask about the max height and the longer dampers that rumor has it they have and i got this response

"yes, the 4 full turns is what we recommend,

Where did you hear that we offer a different shock? because you are the 3rd person to email today...

there were only a few sets of coilovers that sold with extremely short dampers. If you have the normal ones, we dont have a longer damper. It was only to fix a few kits that were shipped with extremely short dampers."

copy and pasted from my email
Old 02-06-13, 04:06 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zinik
yeah unscrew the bottom fork off and 4 turns in is the higest and you keep screwing it in to go lower.

i emailed pbm a few days ago to ask about the max height and the longer dampers that rumor has it they have and i got this response

"yes, the 4 full turns is what we recommend,

Where did you hear that we offer a different shock? because you are the 3rd person to email today...

there were only a few sets of coilovers that sold with extremely short dampers. If you have the normal ones, we dont have a longer damper. It was only to fix a few kits that were shipped with extremely short dampers."

copy and pasted from my email
It has been a long time since I was told they offered a longer damper. That is good to know that it was only to fix a select number of products.

Quick Reply: Just ordered some PBM...what else should I do while in there?