SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Damage to Leather

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-02, 08:37 PM
stock300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Damage to Leather

There are gouges to the left lower bolster on my SC300 driver's seat that were there when I bought the car. I've checked the threads. These gouges are almost vertical. Do any of you have similar problems? At first, I thought that this was due to a pager on the left side of your belt or maybe the zipper on a jacket but I suspect that these would cause horizontal scratches instead of vertical. The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to minimize any further damage but I'm not sure how since I don't know the source. It would be a little awkward getting in on the passenger side
Old 12-11-02, 10:24 PM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

Im not quite sure I know what you mean.... Do you mean that the leather is torn or the piece that is on top of the leather in the back ( the vinyl section ) is ripped or do you mean the plastic part down by the seat adjusters? Ok heres my breakdown anyway. I had horizontal tears on the leather on the mid-left side of the seat before I replaced the leather. I cant imagine how the vinyl piece would hurt the leather so scratch that one too. But, if youre talking about what I think youre talking about, you mean the section that is connected to the seat adjuster assembly towards the bottom of the seat. Yeah, I have that same problem on mine. The rip is vertical and aggrivates the hell out of me. I think it just occured with age though as it was there when I got the car. I do know of a place for replacement parts though. I owe pcmw for that one , (thanks man I live on that site nowadays.) http://www.parts.com and the spartan motor mall is usually the lowest price out of the bunch. Im still trying to find out if I can get it in black, thatd be awesome with the two-tone leather. BUT, be careful when youre replacing it. The manual recline handle is held on by a clip, and if youre not careful, you will end up breaking it and then you'll be ordering a new one for 11.67, which I came about two seconds away from doing Good luck.
Old 12-12-02, 12:13 AM
stock300
Driver

I should have noted that the vertical cracks (gouges) in the leather are at the bottom left front of the back rest. This is the area near your left hip when seated. It's also an area that probably gets lots of wear and tear from entering and exiting. The wear pattern could be normal in which case others with older SC's should see similar wear. I normally exit by sliding to the left and out as I imagine most people do and not up and out so that's why I'm suprised that the gouges are vertical and not horizontal. Anyway, there isn't much that I can do about it except to keep more wear and tear from happening once I figure out what causes it in the first place. Minor issue, but thanks for the input.