SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

HELP!!! punctured gas tank!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-02, 05:47 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JBweld is nothing more than a special epoxy resin. Search n' you shall find...
Old 12-12-02, 05:54 PM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can also mount your amp upside down attached to the bottom of the rear deck above the gas tank if you dont have the stock sub there. Thats the way I have mine and its nice because once the inside truck cover is back on you cant see a thing and I just remove the stock sub cover if I need to make any adjustments to the amp.
Old 12-12-02, 05:57 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh crap.. it is... they tricked me!!!!!
Old 12-13-02, 07:57 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JB Weld will work fine. I fixed a tank on a Chevrolet 3 years ago and it's still holding. However, I would consider replacing the tank or having it professionally repaired sometime. JBWeld is just supposed to be temporary, and you gas tank is on the inside of your trunk, unlike most vehicles. Moral of the story: Look before you screw & don't go too deep!!!!
Old 12-13-02, 10:18 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Jmai22: A match, JB Weld, and gasoline... nice combination. You're joking, right?

"then light the tip of the match that sticks out to make it cure faster will make it seal for the life of the car." ... which will be about three seconds. Boom.

If the hole was above the level of where gasoline would normally be (top of the tank), I'd say JB Weld might be a decent interim fix.

"gas was squirting out... I ended up JB welding it on and using duct tape over it just to be on the safe side."

Clearly, the hole is below the 'waterline' of the tank. I couldn't live with the car until I replaced the fuel tank. Period. :eek:
Old 12-13-02, 10:50 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with socalsc4. I would really have an expert fix this. Not only should the tank be 100% drained, it should also be aired out completely (probably a few days) before repair is done. I would also make sure the fuel line is disconnected as well. It would probably be safest to remove the tank completely from the car, drain it, air out all fumes and residue and have a professional welder repair it.

Don't forget how dangerous the fumes are. Consider yourself very lucky on several accounts. The drill could have sparked and caused a fire. Also, you could have rubbed up against something and caused a spark from static electricity.

Chalk up your loses as experience, but don't make a bad situation a WHOLE LOT worse!
Old 12-14-02, 01:11 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Jmai22
i heard if you tear a match out of a match book and stuff it in the whole then fill it with jbweld. then light the tip of the match that sticks out to make it cure faster will make it seal for the life of the car.
Hehe, pls tell this kid you're joking before he lights that thing and becomes another statistic . Sc400, you have a poorly patched tank with a freaking cap sitting right next to it, THINK. You've got the fuel and the spark. Drain the tank and repair it with gas tank repair putty, which is actually very similar to JB Weld, but it's not a guaranteed fix, I had a GF back in the day that bottomed out my IROC real bad on a speed bump and cracked the tank, apparently with the torque of the new motor the car was twisting enough to open the crack up a bit even after repeated repairs with tank putty, it was eventually removed, drained, washed out, and welded. If you want total peace of mind, bite the bullet and remove the tank and have it welded or replace it altogether, but either way do it right, if money is tight I can lend it to you , but don't f#ck around with something like your petrol tank. Camshaft, a sheetmetal screw with JB is ghetto and you know it, it's the kind of thing a guy might do, but he shouldn't admit it to others, and he definitely shouldn't recommend it to someone else ...
- LL
Old 12-14-02, 01:20 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Ali SC4
You can also mount your amp upside down attached to the bottom of the rear deck above the gas tank if you dont have the stock sub there.
No no! Repeat after me, h-e-a-t s-o-a-k....
When you mount an amp upside down, the heat doesn't travel up through the heatsink, it soaks back into the board, easy way to drastically shorten the life of your componentry, heat travels upwards as i'm sure you know. Certain amps can/should be mounted 'standing up,' i.e. Rockford Fosgate, but upside down underneath the rear deck is no bueno, if you want to place your amp(s) there, build an MDF shelf under the deck so that the amps can be oriented correctly, and ensure that there's at least some airflow traveling through there if possible. Luthor's multimedia install rules #1, remove all the panels before you even think of drilling....
- LL
Old 12-14-02, 02:48 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Jmai22
i heard if you tear a match out of a match book and stuff it in the whole then fill it with jbweld. then light the tip of the match that sticks out to make it cure faster will make it seal for the life of the car.
JUST KIDDING!!! DON"T DO THIS. THIS WILL CAUSE YOUR CAR TO CATCH ON FIRE AND PROBLY BLOW UP.
Old 12-14-02, 03:58 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for all the input... I will not match anything close to my gas tank, thats suicide! I just finished my last finals today so I will have time to find a shop to fix it.
Old 01-06-03, 03:17 AM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Sc4oo,

So please tell us what you did with the gas tank? Thanks!
Old 01-06-03, 03:45 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Oops... I totally forgot... I just jB welded it and duct tape over... Totally forgot I punctured it.
Old 01-07-03, 03:34 AM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

It better be a good amp that you were putting in.

If you mounted it on the wall, just incase you need to take out the spare tire, can you still grab it out?
Old 01-07-03, 05:25 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

its a kicker 800 series.. All I would have to do to remove the spare is take my box out.