SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

HELP!!! punctured gas tank!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-02, 11:44 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP!!! punctured gas tank!!!

I was drilling my amp to the back piece where the tank was. I thought there would be a little extra room. I used a small screw, about 1/2" The POS gas tank was right behind the piece and is crappy metal! Gas was squirting out.

I ran over to the counter and found some epoxy glue. Now, that the gas stopped leaking, I got some duct tape and covered it.

The question is, what should I do now? Would this hold? Should I get that welding stuff at Home Depot?? J.B. Weld or something like that?

I am such a moron! please give me some suggestions....

I also just filled my gas tank up!
Old 12-11-02, 11:53 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

jb weld should do it. where were you screwing the amp to? i need to find some place to put my amp too
Old 12-11-02, 11:58 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

thanks bro... I was screwing the amp to the back piece that covers the gas tank. If you do this, be very careful!
Old 12-12-02, 12:35 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yes, duct tape (aka the 100mph tape kind) is a good temporary fix all. too bad the hole probably isnt big enough to siphon out your gas tank. be careful, very very careful when fixing it back up.
Old 12-12-02, 12:45 AM
AMSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys, come on...if you are going to do something, don't half *** it. you should have taken out that back piece. all of its 3mins of work would have really saved you a lot of pain. i suggest mounting your amp there (this time take the panel off and do it free from the car) or inlaying it behind plexi-glass into the bottom of the trunk.
Old 12-12-02, 02:13 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the help and quick responses. I ended up JB welding it on and using duct tape over it just to be on the safe side.

AMSC: Thanks for your help with my gas tank problem also, it was the best!

Last edited by E39; 12-12-02 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-12-02, 03:05 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

hahah, i'm sorry but that just made me laugh. how can you puncture the gas tank. that takes a lot of stupidity. well anyways good to hear its fix. remember gas is very flammable and corrosive with certain materials. make sure the stuff you use isn't corrosive with gas and the amp isn't too close to the puncture could cause a spark. and KABOOM
Old 12-12-02, 04:45 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

tell me about it... I told my gf, she clowned on me hard..... Hopefully the stuff I used don't explode... I have a capacitor to the left of it.. hopefully that won't blow up suddenly.....
Old 12-12-02, 05:47 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

There are products on the market made for gas tank repair. you may have to remove,drain and have it sealed.

Put a a piece of MDF board behind the panel BEFORE mounting an amp.

Good luck......silly!

Old 12-12-02, 06:13 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

I would go and get it fixed by a professional. Especially if you have electric stuff by it....you should hope it doesnt go boom because chances are you are going with it then. So go get it fixed.
Old 12-12-02, 11:29 AM
CDALTON
Driver

Smile

I suggest mounting your amp's on the side of the trunk. Take a thin piece of cardboard and make a stencil of the side of the trunk. Cut out your stencil and trace it on to some 1/4 inch plywood, partical board....what ever material you want to use. I made a L shaped bracket and mounted that were the stock amp was located. They make carpet that almost matched the stock truck. I will try to take a pic for you but my car is in storage for the winter. Good luck!!!
Old 12-12-02, 03:22 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would lose lots of sleep if my gas tank were punctured and sealed up with JBweld and duct tape. Duct tape won't do a darn thing in this application... and JBwell? :eek: I wouldn't bet my well being on this cheap epoxy glue. Perhaps you might want to do the right thing fixing your first mistake by correctly and professionally fix up your second mistake before it becomes your last mistake.

Last edited by hyperopt; 12-12-02 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-12-02, 03:25 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A sheet metal screw sealed with some jb weld is a perfectly good fix, just drain the tank first. I know guys that have have sealed their tanks that way and are still running them, years afterward.
Old 12-12-02, 03:40 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i heard if you tear a match out of a match book and stuff it in the whole then fill it with jbweld. then light the tip of the match that sticks out to make it cure faster will make it seal for the life of the car.
Old 12-12-02, 04:04 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

my amp is 2 feet long, I can't mount it to the side. The JB weld is not the epoxy glue one. It is the steel/hardener one.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! punctured gas tank!!!