SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Power Steering Reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-02, 01:22 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Resivor

I just called the Lexus dealership here and they're asking over 260 for the power steering resivor on a 95 SC4 and thats withouth installation. The labor is going to be between 2 to 3 hours. Has anyone else replaced theirs? Could you tell me how much it cost and if you installed it yourself, was it hard? They told me they're probably going to have to take out the pump as well. That sounds a bit much for replacing that little tank. Anyways could I get the same part from a Toyota dealership and have it installed there? Whats the part number if someone has it. The power steering is making a lot of loud howling noises and when standing outside you can head all kinds of grinding and loud howling sounds. I tried putting more power steering fluid in but it didnt help at all. I tried to take the filter screen out but it would come out and I put it small hole in it and that didnt do anything either. So if anyone could please help me out....

thanks
Old 12-12-02, 01:40 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

yes if you have the part # you can order it from Toyota, I dont know the part # though. About gettin it install at a Toyota dealer, most dealers around here wont work on Lexus they say take it to Lexus??? Other Toyota dealers upcharge cause its a Lexus stupid IMO. Check your local dealer to see.
Old 12-12-02, 03:09 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you want to replace the reservoir?
Do you think its replacement will fix your howling power steering problem?
Old 12-12-02, 03:23 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, that is the source. Blockage of a filter screen at the bottom of the reservoir and of a second inline filter block the flow and cause the sounds. There is a huge thread on this.
Old 12-12-02, 03:36 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Jimmy did mention that he did puncture the reservoir filter so reservoir screen blockage isn't the issue here.
Old 12-12-02, 08:37 PM
heyma
Rookie

By puncturing the filter, maybe all the grime has now lodged itself in the pump, thus continuing the groaning noise?

I got a quote of ~$130 at Lexus of Manhattan in NYC, but still feel that is too much for a tiny tank.

Has anyone tried fitting in a reservoir from another car? I believe they all function the same - my 944 Turbo's also has an integrated filter and only cost ~$24.
Old 12-12-02, 09:01 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

I did puncture a hole about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch wide but I dont think it didnt anything because I think its still clogged. After turning the car on from a cold start I noticed the power steering fluid looks like coffee with foam on top after opening the cap after turning the car off. If I let it sit for a little while it turn back into that deep brownish color with no foam again. Also sometimes after turning the car on I noticed that some PS fluid is around the cap on the tank itself. I checked the tank and there are stains from previous leaking too. When I turn the car off I can hear the PS tank make a little PSSSTTT! sound like its blowing off some pressure. Its like the PS fluid is just in the tank blowing and overflowing once in a while. I really hope theres no leaks and I only have to replcace the tink tank.
Old 12-12-02, 09:53 PM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Replacing the reservior tank is simple, assuming that is the root cause of your problem and the pump/high pressure lines are okay.

1. Suck out as much fluid as you can with a turkey baster from reservoir cap opening.

2. Disconnect return hose to reservior. This is the smaller (diameter) of the two hoses connected to the reservoir and is located higher up.

3. Jack up front end until the tires are completely off the ground, so you can easily turn the steering wheels from full lock to lock.

4. Place a small drain pan under the disconnected hose and turn the steering wheel left to right, full lock to lock (DO NOT START ENGINE). This will slowly pump out the old fluid in the hoses, pump, and rack. The steering wheel will feel very loose once you get most of the fluid out, about a quart.

5. Now disconnect the larger diameter hose located at the bottom of the reservoir tank. Remove 3 screws on the side and pull out the tank, a ratcheting box wrench is very helpful for this.

6. Install new reservoir with previously removed screws and re-connect hoses.

7. Fill new reservoir with transmission fluid, I use Mobil 1 ATF. Now turn the steering wheel left to right, full lock to lock, this is to get the fluid back into the hoses, pump, and rack. You might need to squeeze the larger diameter hose at the bottom of the reservoir tank a couple of times to help get fluid back into the pump. Top off the reservoir tank with fluid as the level drops, and turn the steering wheel again. Repeat this process to get all the air bubbles out and until the fluid level no longers drops after turning steering wheel (DO NOT START ENGINE WHILE DOING THIS).

8. After the entire system is purged of air and fill to the proper level, you can lower the front end and go out for a test drive. The pump should not make any abnormal noises and you are good to go.

9. Check reservoir level after test drive and fill to proper level.

10. It is cheap insurance to change the power steering fluid every year, especially with SC400s.

Hope this helps and good luck.

DJL
Old 12-12-02, 10:38 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Wow thats a lot easier than I thought. I was thinking about taking the car to the dealership and having them do everything which was going to cost over $300 just for the tank with installation. You used transmission fluid for the power steering? I bought some power steering fluid from some auto parts store that says it stops leaks too but I didnt know what kind of PS fluid is needed for the SC4 but you're saying you used tranmission fluid. Anyways I'll have to see if I can do this. Thank you soo much for all the info. Its going to be very helpful!
Old 12-12-02, 11:33 PM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Jimmit,

Read the cap of your reservoir, it states exactly what kind of fluid required. My 93 SC400 requires Mercon Dexron II/III, that is why I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF (it meets and/or exceeds Mercon Dexron III).

DJL
Old 12-13-02, 02:45 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

I would verify whether or not the reservoir is indeed clogged up before thinking about replacing it. If it is clogged, clean it up properly or replace it, and if not , I would look elsewhere for the culprit. However, I would never puncture the filter to allow years of filtered contaminants to recirculate in PS system. :eek:
Since your reservoir filter is puncture, it would be best to replace it whether or not it would fix your problem.
Old 12-14-02, 03:16 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Thanx everyone. I decided to tow the car to the dealership and let them check everything. I'm most likely going to have the pump and tank replaced as well as a few other small things. I dont have enough time to do the work myself. Everything is very appreciated thanx
Old 12-14-02, 10:40 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Quick question for everyone. I just got a quote from the dealer and theyre saying that they'll replace the PS pump and the hoses and do a PS fluid flush for about 1K. I tried doing the math but wanst sure if I was getting screwed and overpaying so if anyone could help me real quick.