SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-02, 09:10 PM
DaBling69
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

I did the check engine light diagnostic thing, by using the paper clip, and I get 5 flashes, a short pause 5 more flashes, then a long pause and it repeats it. Does that mean its code 55? If so what is code 55? Please someone help me out here. Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-12-02, 09:32 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

People should be known what kind of car are you driving before you ask for help....

For 93 SC400 code 55 mean: No No. 2 knock sensor signal to ECM for 3 crank revolutions with engine speed between 1600-5200rpm.
Trouble area:
--Open or short in No. 2 knock sensor circuit.
--No. 2 knock sensor (looseness)
--ECM

then you have to read page TR-102 to TR-106 to test the system...
Old 12-13-02, 08:27 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

What wrong with the car? Anything happen lately before the engine light on with code 55?

Old 12-13-02, 09:58 PM
DaBling69
Driver School Candidate

It started when I was driving to work wednesday. I was just cruising along, then my check engine light came on and I tried to accelerate but the RPMs didnt go up and the car didnt accelerate. The engine will make a low sounding rumble, not like what it normally sounds. I thought it might be water or someting in the gas, so I put some heet and fuel cleaner stuff in, so far it hasnt helped. Its pissing me off, oh sorry about not listing what my car is, its a 92 SC400. Anyone have any info please help me out. I'm trying to avoid Lexus but I'm coming to the conclusion I might have to give in.
Old 12-14-02, 12:25 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Do you know how to use an Ohm meter? Have you work on car before? Do you have some kind of tools? Then I'll give you the instruction on how to trouble shoot this problem...

You don't have to take the car to Lexus. Any Toyota mechanic can fix this if they know what they're doing...You think Lexus mechanic know what they're doing?

If you need more help, try the maintenance section and see if Devil Dog can help you on this or not, hes a Lexus technician and a moderator. I'll give you the direction of the shop manual but you have to do your own work to find out if it is the knock sensor before buying a new one to replace...I am not a mechanic, I bought the shop manual right after I bought the used SC400 last year and try to fix the car problem myself. I only take the car to a mechanic when I can't find out what's wrong with the shop manual help (you can call me cheap, but I try to fix my own sport car). If I have money, I don't drive used cars and try to fix them myself...

Maybe London Bill can help too, he seem to know a lot about engine.

I can't believe no one help this guy at all. I guess all you guys know is how to spend money on lower your car, spend money on new rims, spend money on new intake, exhaust...trying to make a luxury coupe to be faster than a Honda Civic on a quarter mile. But when it come to a real problem, no one even knows what to do...I saw a lot of people read the thread but no one answer... How many here spent money on a shop manual? Its only a couple hundred dollars as compare to thousand of dollar for wheels, intake, exhaust, sloted/crossed drilled brake rotors, brake calipers...all these things works. It did not need replacing

Last edited by VQT; 12-14-02 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-14-02, 02:09 AM
DaBling69
Driver School Candidate

So with the problems I told you I was having does it sound like it really is the knock sensor? Yes I do have an ohm meter, tools, and I can work on cars fairly well. If you could email me at shizzawha@comcast.net. I appreciate the help man.
Old 12-14-02, 01:00 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

We don't know if it the knock sensor yet until you check it out. I need a fax number so I can fax you the pages on how to trouble shoot this...I can't type all the procedure in cause its kind da loooong also there are picture and figures in there. This won't happen until Monday cause I don't have a fax machine at home. I am busy this weekend trying to reseal the head bolts/stud of my other toy.
viet_t@hotmail.com

Mean while, check with Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota to see how much a knock sensor will set you back...