SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 01:06 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stevechumo
This thread is like some guys pay $2500 for a 2J GTE swap, while others pay $10000. Lol. As long as you're happy with what you have, that's what counts.
no one is saying that it isnt do-able, hell look up the poor mans paint job (rustoleum). you can paint your car for $80. anything is possible but your not going to get a quality product compared to a $3000 paint job.

why do you think knock-off wheels and kits dont cost nearly as much as authentic wheels and kits. this pretty much applies to anything.
Old 02-07-13, 01:28 PM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol so true bud.
Old 02-07-13, 03:49 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by MKIVS374
I can't say how much I am paying for my materials because if I paint 2 sc's two different colors. Say one red and one white could be 100-300$ price difference. I mean are you adding in mica's pearl so many variables and what the mixing instructions may call for 10 different colors to make that particular red. You just never used a mixing bank before which means you have never painted before which leads me to ask. Why is this thread here you have no idea what your doing. I am I car platinum certified and graduated from wyotechs collision refinishing program so yeah....
lol why are you back again with nothing to add?? You make the longest posts with no useful info whatsoever. And you STILL cant answer the most basic question.

Why the **** would I be using a mixing bank??Do I own a ****ing body shop??? I give the color code to the body shop and they mix it for me.

And why would the fact that ive never used a mixing blank mean that ive never painted a car?

Why do I keep responding to your nonsense posts is really the only important question here.
Old 02-07-13, 04:02 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not even sure why this is even a debate, cant people just agree to disagree. There are people candy painting SCs with easter egg colors you all should be arguing against.
Old 02-07-13, 04:24 PM
RoyallyGrn
Driver School Candidate

I dont really want to get into this big argument but im gonna post any way because i need some more posts. I just painted my whole car. Back to the original Royal Jade Green. I took Auto Collision Repair Classes at my local tech school and had a great teacher. He restores old cars and builds show car and only showed each student how to do this the right way and wiht premium products. No we didnt use sikkens or the top dollar products but we used good products you will find in every body shop. I dont understand how you can paint your whole car for under $1000. I spent $1000 just in paint to paint mine. I used PPG DC4000 clear, some ppg base, martin senior sealer and primer. You can spend so much more on this stuff it is limitless. I had all the tools and materials available to me so I didnt have to buy anything but what I used. If you have no tools you will spend thousand and thousand in tools. I spent over 100 hours on mine. I didnt make a show car. MDSC's car is a show car. It was on canibeat, won best air at First Class FItment and im sure many more awards. Every post he has posted in this thread is true. He knows what hes saying and doing. Look at his car and his threads as proof.
***** i want to see your end product. Im not doubting you i just wanna see how is comes out. Everyone has there own technique. But i dont understand how you can paint your hole car with one quart or color. Especially without a sealer. But im not saying youre wrong or doing it wrong, Ill just have to see how it comes out.
Old 02-07-13, 04:50 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Instead of throwing pennies around vs a $500 paint job and a $10,000 paint job, let's see pictures between a $500 paint job, a $2,000 paint job and a $10,000 paint job? I can go paint my car for $250 but it might all be aerosol, and it may look "okay" in my eyes..
Old 02-08-13, 03:46 PM
biturbo632
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=1WILLY1;7751277]Why is it I can pay retail prices and still pay less then 25% of what your paying? Am I really that special? Or are you just a liar?

I'm using ppg waterbase paint, with ppg envirobase primer and ppg EC700 clear kit.
Check your price! In fact that an average I made, could be less or more depending of what is in the mix of the color. As I said, I'm using good product that simplify ma job a Lot!!!! When you do that everyday, you don't want to use cheap product! Simple.

But as someone said here, you do it by your own, and that's the point! If you love the finish and love it while doing it, man we love our cars and working on it so! I would really see what your able to do under 1K$! Surprise me!!

Originally Posted by durtysc300
Instead of throwing pennies around vs a $500 paint job and a $10,000 paint job, let's see pictures between a $500 paint job, a $2,000 paint job and a $10,000 paint job? I can go paint my car for $250 but it might all be aerosol, and it may look "okay" in my eyes..
I love that!!! I'ld love to see what people can do, I love project and mannnn if they can do a really nice job for no cost, damn that's good for their pockets!!!
Old 04-28-13, 05:08 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

well in case you guys didnt belive me I went to my material supplier and got myself this nice box of goodies.

1 gallon of clear high gloss urethane with 1 quart of hardener (sherwin williams) = $100.00 cdn
2 quarts of 4k9 (91-97) base coat = $100.00
5 Paint filters= free

This is not to try to rub it in peoples face or anything like that, this is just to show you guys the reality of how cheap it really is.

These materials are very good quality, I already tested the clear on my wheels that I refinished and it looks and sands amazing and with 1 gallon of clear and 2 quarts of base I should have plenty of extra for later touch ups if needed.

Ill be starting my car this week or next ill try to make a thread about it ,or post in this one to show the results
Attached Thumbnails Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)-a-paintttt.png   Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)-a-paintr.png   Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)-a-paint.png   Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)-a-pant.png  
Old 04-28-13, 05:31 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Subscribed! I'm wrapping my car because painters suck. Maybe if I learn something I can DIM.
Old 04-28-13, 08:45 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

I just got quote for 387 for ppg shopline base and clear with hardners and reducers. 3 quarts when mixed its 1.5 gallon of base and 1.5 gallon of clear. I forgot to price the sealer.
Old 04-28-13, 09:08 PM
93Gotjuice
Pole Position

In for the finish product =]
Old 04-28-13, 09:43 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jwin
I just got quote for 387 for ppg shopline base and clear with hardners and reducers. 3 quarts when mixed its 1.5 gallon of base and 1.5 gallon of clear. I forgot to price the sealer.
not bad at all man
Old 04-29-13, 05:31 AM
lol
Driver School Candidate

If you have the equipment you can paint a car for $500 or less. It just takes alot of elbow grease. Did it to my old 87 MR2, I'll be doing my SC400 as well.

Old 04-29-13, 07:24 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like my dents and scratches

shows character and my battle wounds
Old 04-29-13, 11:05 AM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Nothing is wrong with plasti dip. I did it to my emblems and my antenna stub. But I wouldn't paint my whole car in plast dip.

Quick Reply: Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)