SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Has anyone found a way to insure their car for more than "Blue Book"

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-13, 03:11 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Many other collector car policies make you jump through hoops to get covered. They are incredibly cheap for agreed value coverage but most require a daily driver besides this car, and the daily driver must be less than 10 years old.

I ended up with Geico for my Z and the SC. Couldn't get collector car coverage on the tracktoy Z because of the obvious intent of the car and the value of aftermarket parts.
Lexus only runs me an extra $650 a year for slightly more than basic coverage that wouldn't be useful for anything over the miserable KBB value
Old 06-11-13, 05:26 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have a regular cash value policy for my car through state farm, but they have every receipt and a list of all modifications. i also have a letter from the underwriter who approved the policy which states the car is being insured with all modifications.
Old 06-13-13, 07:30 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My experience with custom/classic car insurance....I have an agreed value policy($82,000) through American Modern Ins. An appraisal was required along with a complete list of modifications with prices and pics. The Appraisal was completed through SpeedOptions, which provided the appraisal in a binder with all relevant information including a complete listing of all mods, pictures. They also provided a fair market value of the car with pics and sale prices of comparable vehicles. My policy is limited to 2500 miles a year and includes a Track Exclusion. The policy is $950.00 yearly.
Nothing else was required and I did not have to provide proof of having another daily driver.
Old 08-14-13, 07:03 PM
moretoys
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hagerty Quote

Just purchased a 1996 SC400 56,000 mile creampuff in Renaissance Red all stock.

I got a Hagerty insurance quote of $345/year full coverage @ 10k agreed value. High/Low?

Update 8/21/13: Hagerty, after application completed and checked mailed, denied writing a policy stating SC400 was not rare or collectable enough. So the search continues.
Got it home without incident yesterday, and it is a beauty. Just needs buffed and waxed.
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone found a way to insure their car for more than "Blue Book"-96lexus.jpg  

Last edited by moretoys; 08-21-13 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-14-13, 07:16 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I demand more pictures of this beauty.

Quote is good to me.
Old 08-14-13, 07:58 PM
moretoys
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pics

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
I demand more pictures of this beauty.

Quote is good to me.
Thanks, I'm excited about my new toy. More pics:
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone found a way to insure their car for more than "Blue Book"-96lkexus2.jpg   Has anyone found a way to insure their car for more than "Blue Book"-96lexus3.jpg  
Old 06-13-15, 03:09 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need a "Stated Value" policy which Hagerty's does sell but only for collectibles not driven as a daily driver. You have to prove you have another car as a daily driver to buy their insurance and they expect only a few thousand miles a year and it must always be garaged. That's why their policy is cheaper. You need to make it easy on yourself and call brokers asking for a stated value policy. Nothing else will do. They may say they'll give you a Stated Value policy but you need to see it with your own eyes.
Almost all carriers will use a Blue Book number or NADA, etc. and won't budge if you have a loss. You may be paying for a $15000 car but they won't give you the replacement value no matter what you say.
Old 06-14-15, 12:51 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodremz
My insurance is covering ALL the mods on my SC, along with the car. Everything I have put into the car front to back is insured. Includes road-side, rental, everything. Just depends on the insurance company I think, but it only takes a phone call, and possibly some pictures, part numbers, and possibly receipts. I have been with my insurance company long enough, they only requested pictures and asked me for estimated value of each item and voila, covered.
how much do you pay per month?
Old 06-14-15, 06:45 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Junan - get that car boosted first before looking for a higher value policy... hahaha

Originally Posted by fensterlip
You need a "Stated Value" policy .
This ....

Tell them ,let's say, you want a $50k policy on your car , they will ask you for proof why it is valued at $50k rather than the regular book value. They will inspect your car whether truly all the mods are there. That is how all my boosted cars are insured .. based on "Stated Value" policy.
Old 06-14-15, 07:52 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll be calling Geico/Haggerty Monday morning to adjust my policies..

Does labor on your swap count towards the value with a "stated value" policy?

Thanks Guys!
Old 06-14-15, 11:25 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I have been meaning to do this as well......I have saved all receipts for proof of cost......

My coverage is currently with Liberty Mutual and they have a automobile insurance customization.....and they stated to me the following:

Any customization to your vehicle that you would like to have added, we can add in increments of $1,000 as long as you provide us with receipts of these items. Customized items would be anything that wasn’t factory installed/included with the vehicles VIN. So if you have a custom paint job, tires, rims, stereo equipment, engine, shocks, etc. they can be added for an additional premium as long as we have that documentation.

As we discussed before, we will not insure the overall value of the vehicle differently, but we will provide additional coverage for any of those custom items.
Old 06-14-15, 11:35 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Studiogeek

Does labor on your swap count towards the value with a "stated value" policy?
Yes, you just have to prove how much you have on the car ! Show them all your receipts that has something to do with the car being insured, that includes labor receipts.
Old 06-15-15, 05:28 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gerrb
Junan - get that car boosted first before looking for a higher value policy... hahaha

This ....

Tell them ,let's say, you want a $50k policy on your car , they will ask you for proof why it is valued at $50k rather than the regular book value. They will inspect your car whether truly all the mods are there. That is how all my boosted cars are insured .. based on "Stated Value" policy.
lmao, yeah i need to.

i was just wondering how much the premium was. im 25 with a clean record...

if it's not that expensive, it will be something that i would be looking into.
Old 06-15-15, 06:39 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

^^^ IF you are 25 and below , this is the way I will suggest it and which we did / do with all our kids till they are past 25, get it titled with your dad or mom as the first owner and your name also be there in that way your insurance won't be as expensive. Or, you can totally omit your name from the title till you are past 25 and just include it as a driver inside the policy.

Those 25 and below will always have higher premiums.
Old 06-15-15, 08:57 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

i turned 25 back in late april lol

im going to switch DD's soon, i have a 95 ES300 that i will be driving around. it's time to save money on fuel, since my SC gets crap MPG. lol

Quick Reply: Has anyone found a way to insure their car for more than "Blue Book"