Has anyone found a way to insure their car for more than "Blue Book"

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-13, 08:29 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Has anyone found a way to insure their car for more than "Blue Book"

Greetings,
As I pour a high percentage of my earnings into my car I sailed past Blue Book rather quickly. I see others easily triple my investment. Has anyone found a way to insure out cars for more than Blue Book value? I have yet to find a payout better then Blue book value. Living in NYC forces me to sometimes use the 400$ per month parking garages in my neighborhood to protect my investment (ouch!). I carry Geico full coverage but would not break even on a payout at this point and have at least another 5000$ of mods planned.

How do I protect this thing? (better policy and better alarm?)
I assume [hope] we are a pretty low theft target because of vehicle age.
Is a bodacious alarm enough to park on the street?
Are they easy to get by?
Old 02-10-13, 08:34 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Call your car insurance agent and add a insurance rider for the mod costs.

Just saw you have an older car.I don't know how it works with that.

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-10-13 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-10-13, 09:19 AM
scmaluco
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Greetings,
As I pour a high percentage of my earnings into my car I sailed past Blue Book rather quickly. I see others easily triple my investment. Has anyone found a way to insure out cars for more than Blue Book value? I have yet to find a payout better then Blue book value. Living in NYC forces me to sometimes use the 400$ per month parking garages in my neighborhood to protect my investment (ouch!). I carry Geico full coverage but would not break even on a payout at this point and have at least another 5000$ of mods planned.

How do I protect this thing? (better policy and better alarm?)
I assume [hope] we are a pretty low theft target because of vehicle age.
Is a bodacious alarm enough to park on the street?
Are they easy to get by?
if i remember correctly as long as you have receipts for parts or whatever you put on the car, your insurance should be able to cover that.. it will cost extra, but it can be done. my body has a 91 240sx with quite a list of mods including a 1jzvvti in it. and hes covered. i believe it cost him around 100 or so month. but triple AAA, tow , rent a car covered also...
Old 02-10-13, 09:38 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My insurance is covering ALL the mods on my SC, along with the car. Everything I have put into the car front to back is insured. Includes road-side, rental, everything. Just depends on the insurance company I think, but it only takes a phone call, and possibly some pictures, part numbers, and possibly receipts. I have been with my insurance company long enough, they only requested pictures and asked me for estimated value of each item and voila, covered.
Old 02-10-13, 09:53 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have geico...Take pictures of everything. but you need to add additional insurance. tell them the car is modified. anything over 5k additional will require you to take it to a agent for verification. especially is some things are one off or custom built.
Old 02-10-13, 11:32 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haggerty classic car insurance has an import modified plan, minimum insures your car for 30k
Old 02-10-13, 12:57 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sj408
Haggerty classic car insurance has an import modified plan, minimum insures your car for 30k
YIKES!
Haggerty just quoted me a policy that was about 1/3rd my Geico price! I still have to compare the coverage but at first glance looked similar.
In the quote, I stated the value of my car as 15,000$
The Blue book replacement that Geico would issue I think is 6K to 8K. How can it be so much cheaper? it was 463 PER YEAR!

I just randomly put down 15K, How does a company like Haggerty determine payout in the event of a total loss?

Last edited by Studiogeek; 02-10-13 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-10-13, 01:15 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
I have geico...Take pictures of everything. but you need to add additional insurance. tell them the car is modified. anything over 5k additional will require you to take it to a agent for verification. especially is some things are one off or custom built.

I remember having an agent look at my car, but that was 4 yrs ago. They just ask for pics and estimated value after you call them every-other month for a new mod lol
Old 02-10-13, 01:18 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
YIKES!
Haggerty just quoted me a policy that was about 1/3rd my Geico price! I still have to compare the coverage but at first glance looked similar.
In the quote, I stated the value of my car as 15,000$
The Blue book replacement that Geico would issue I think is 6K to 8K. How can it be so much cheaper? it was 463 PER YEAR!

I just randomly put down 15K, How does a company like Haggerty determine payout in the event of a total loss?
That doesn't sound right.Especially with you being in the NYC area.
Old 02-10-13, 01:28 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
That doesn't sound right.Especially with you being in the NYC area.
I have a house in Pa. NY is temporary.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 02-10-13 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-10-13, 03:43 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
Are you sure about this? I talk to 2 supervisors and they said they couldn't. The only thing they say was upgraded wheels and tires, and stereo stuff. I have every receipt for everything I have ever bought and paid for this car. This might depend on the state you live. Alabama doesn't have this option, unless they have changed their procedures and protocols in the past 2-3 months. I say call Progressive this is who they told me to call, along with State Farm.
Old 02-10-13, 03:53 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Are you sure about this? I talk to 2 supervisors and they said they couldn't. The only thing they say was upgraded wheels and tires, and stereo stuff. I have every receipt for everything I have ever bought and paid for this car. This might depend on the state you live. Alabama doesn't have this option, unless they have changed their procedures and protocols in the past 2-3 months. I say call Progressive this is who they told me to call, along with State Farm.
It could vary by state. I have had Geico for 7+ yrs and they have always covered all my modifications, and now including my swap and the aftermarket equipment on the engine. Nose to tail, my SC and mods are under full coverage with Geico. My payments are slightly higher than a stock SC would be, but even my policy shows each individual modification with value. It can be done.
Old 02-10-13, 04:08 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol at 15k.
Old 06-11-13, 09:36 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Still looking for more info on this....

Anyone?
Old 06-11-13, 12:04 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodremz
It could vary by state. I have had Geico for 7+ yrs and they have always covered all my modifications, and now including my swap and the aftermarket equipment on the engine. Nose to tail, my SC and mods are under full coverage with Geico. My payments are slightly higher than a stock SC would be, but even my policy shows each individual modification with value. It can be done.
Turbodremz, I see you're in Texas. I think this may be different in Florida. I've been withState Farm for fourteen years and they have been very good about covering modifications. I have given my agents a full writeup with an index on my modifications that they keep on file but I have never had a printed rider from them listing my permanent modifications.

Studiogeek, with fender benders this can be the difference between a total out or covered repair but it's often a process you go through with your adjustor and agent. As for a theft, it's definitely helpful.

Regarding Hagerty, they start their coverage on cars with a MINIMUM value of $15k. I've checked too. They also generally require a low maximum mileage because classic car insurance is intended for weekend or occasionally driven show cars. It's something like 3.5k miles a year or maybe 5k miles a year for the most lenient of classic car insurers. Personally, I like what I've heard about Hagerty most but I didn't find them useful for a DD car.

Quick Reply: Has anyone found a way to insure their car for more than "Blue Book"