Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default pic

Attached Thumbnails Crashed-sidecrash2small.jpg  
Old 12-18-02, 05:22 AM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Default thanks for the concern guys

Basically I was speeding to school to take a final I was cutting through traffic going 80-85. The exit I was taking was only a mile a way so I decided to slow down to 50-55 and thats when it happened. I switched from the second farthest right lane to the farthest right lane (slow lane) and I must have hit a puddle. The rear skidded left and I sorta jerked the wheel right and I started spinning counter clockwise. Damn it was scary to see all those headlights facing me. I did two 360 degree turns and went off the side of a hill about 15 foot drop and around a 50 degree angle. Hit some small trees and bushes and as I hit the bottom of the hill i did a 180 facing the cars coming off the off ramp of an exit half a mile before the exit I was slowing down to take to school. Luckily for me I actually put my seat belt on right before the accident. Lately I've been driving around without my seat belt on and I'm glad I wore it that night. I shouldn't have braked right when I started spinning and should have tried to steer out of it. I was actually on the 805 freeway here in San Diego. My tires on the rear are somewhat bald and yeah I never thought I would ever get in an accident since I haven't had one for the past 5 years I've been driving. My car pretty much has been hit in the right rear as you can see, the passenger front fender is banged up a bit, the rear panel underneath the door is smashed in and I have scratches all over my car. I don't know how or what made those dents in my car since I haven't really driven past the place I crashed. I think I might have hit the side railing and some small trees. Other then the dents the car still drives and miyinsurance is covering everything. Luckily I didn't sustain any injures and no one else was hurt. Drive safe guys.
Old 12-18-02, 12:41 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm,

Steering out of a hydroplane at over 40mph is difficult if not crazy while on the highway. People tend to smack the car into more traffic than remaining on your angle off the freeway.

If your rear tires are past the warning nubs...you will get an extra ding from your insurance company being that you had faulty/worn equipment that caused the accident.

Best of luck...

MW
Old 12-18-02, 02:59 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait what about your final! jk glad your ok.

Last edited by SDSC300; 12-18-02 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-18-02, 05:57 PM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Default final

Hey Brian I got an A in the final. I ditched my car when a relative came to the accident and let me borrow their car.
Old 12-18-02, 11:14 PM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

Default Re: final

Originally posted by Deceptik1
Hey Brian I got an A in the final. I ditched my car when a relative came to the accident and let me borrow their car.
lol, ...nice to see a dedicated student...being the procrastinator I am I would have found some way to take it a few weeks later .
Old 12-19-02, 11:14 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm thinking about opening up a rain driving school for you guys from CA. Honestly, check tires so they're not worn out (I should know, I had 100% bald 285s on my car), don't jerk the wheel, when starting to hydroplane point the wheels in the direction your spinning or sliding and don't use the brakes until you have traction again. Glad you're okay Deceptik1, it's only body demage.

Chris
Old 12-19-02, 11:20 PM
Miles B
Hyundai Driver

I wouldn't have posted that story... what happens if your insurance company or a cop reads this? Dunno about over there, but here, a story like that would wind you up in court on charges of speeding and failure to control your vehicle.. probably reckless driving too.

You would be surprised what a small world it is. Anyone remember the mechanic who abused the 03 Mustang getting caught cos he posted it?

Then again that story might be no big deal and mean nothing to your insurance or police...
Old 12-20-02, 02:40 AM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

DirectQL I did try to steer in the direction of the spin but it didn't help the rear just swung out like it was on ice. It was also very windy which probably helped the spin I was in.

I'm not too worried about telling my story people post wreckless driving stories all the time and I don't see mine as any different.

I met a guy today at my work who was actually driving behind me during the accident. He said right before I went over the side of the hill he saw me clip the guide rail and i was airborn a couple feet as I did that 180 turn. Everyone who saw the accident thought I had flipped over.

Got some quotes the other day. Avg price I got was $5500. $3000 for parts and the rest labor. I'm still contemplating on doing a full 97 conversion and color change or pocketing the money and buying another sc but 5 speed. What do you guys think. Last month I saw a lot of 5 speeds for sale but lately I haven't seen any.
Old 12-20-02, 11:54 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

go for the 5 speed, dude...you know you want it!
Old 12-20-02, 01:04 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Deceptik1

Got some quotes the other day. Avg price I got was $5500. $3000 for parts and the rest labor. I'm still contemplating on doing a full 97 conversion and color change or pocketing the money and buying another sc but 5 speed. What do you guys think. Last month I saw a lot of 5 speeds for sale but lately I haven't seen any.

you know what I think

auto... blah!

you have pm also
Old 12-20-02, 07:50 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Mine was airborn also when it hit a boat in someone's yard. Going backwards. Poor thing was toasted. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

I would not post info until the insurance paid out.

Do the '97 conversion. Or go AC.
Old 12-20-02, 08:18 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, do the '97 conversion. Will most likely cost you less.

Old 12-21-02, 12:57 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Glad you're OK man! Even better that the ins. co. is covering it!

As for driving in the wet, get some Bridgestone SO3's!!!! With those on the car, you can hardly tell the difference when it's raining! No Sh&t!!
Old 12-22-02, 03:02 AM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Accidents must be contagious cuz I was headed to school and a lady rear ended me the other week. She was goin about 40 mph and I was at a stand still. The following week I took a final and my back was aching.... =( What school do you go to Deceptik1?

So now I gotta go deal with insurance. Hey Deceptik1, did you have any frame damage? I had some serious frame damage. I was thinking a 97+ conversion but with frame damage, I dunno....

Quick Reply: Crashed