SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

key only works on passenger door and ignition. What are my best options for a fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-13, 11:52 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question key only works on passenger door and ignition. What are my best options for a fix?

Greetings,

Please assist with my key drama.

I have one key for my 95' Sc400.

This key is a one button "remote" key.

This key starts the car, opens the passenger door (and remotely unlocks the doors activates/deactivates the factory alarm).

My driver door, trunk, glove box and trunk "lock out" all have no key. I believe perhaps the door or cylinder and trunk lid or cylinder were replaced at some point and perhaps my key was cut from a "valet" key hence does not open the glove box or fit the trunk 'lock out" cylinder.

I can enter the car using the remote button however I am nervous about the day it stops working.
I can get into the trunk using the release in the car but i am worried that may not work someday (and anyone that gets into the car, can get into my trunk).

1) Can i somehow use my working ignition (and passenger door) key to have cylinders made for the driver door, trunk, glove box and trunk "lock out" cylinder?

2) If I order a trunk "lock out" cylinder and key set from Sewell, can I have someone modify the other cylinders for that same new key.

3) Is it possible that my master key (although it has a button) was cut from a "valet" key and that is why it does not open glove box/ trunk 'lock out"?

4) My Hood release, gas access, trunk "lock out" cylinder panel was replaced with a salvage unit and does not have a working key. Can I remove the lock cylinder portion from my old panel and put it into the salvage panel (if the key cut from VIN thing works).

5) Is there a way to tell if my glove box/trunk lock out problem is that my key was cut from a valet key? If i get Sewell to cut a key from my VIN, is it likely to fix my problem with the glove box etc?

What are my best options to sort this out with the least amount of money spent?

PS: I am OK with using 2 different keys if I must.

SG
Old 02-23-13, 01:07 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

sounds like you have a frankenstein key, because my valet key does not have a transmitter on it.
maybe the original broke and they copied the valet key since it was the only key left.
Valet key will open the doors and start the car, but it wont work on the trunk lockout or glove box or the trunk itself.

I think the dealer can cut you a master key, which would be easier then replacing every lock and the ignition off a donor car. as to what had been changed on your drivers door not really sure, does the key turn at all? if it turns and nothing happens you may just have a broken/disconnected rod inside the door that works the lock mechanism, but usually the one to break is the rod on the door handle itself that opens the door.
Old 02-23-13, 01:13 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have Sewell cut you a spare key cut from the VIN. Master key, not valet. $60, worth a try. Between the master and valet key, not sure if the slots along the blade is different, but at the very tip of the key blade, the master key has it sharpened to like a flat blade while a valet key is not (at least what I noticed on the pictures)

You should be able to move the lock cylinders to another panel.

The driver door lock could be worn out, as well. Locksmiths may be able to do something there.
Old 02-23-13, 01:32 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Default Thank You for the replies!

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
sounds like you have a frankenstein key, because my valet key does not have a transmitter on it.
maybe the original broke and they copied the valet key since it was the only key left.

(This is what I believe to be the case.)

I think the dealer can cut you a master key, which would be easier then replacing every lock and the ignition off a donor car. as to what had been changed on your drivers door not really sure, does the key turn at all? if it turns and nothing happens you may just have a broken/disconnected rod inside the door that works the lock mechanism, but usually the one to break is the rod on the door handle itself that opens the door.
Hmmmmmm.... to be honest, I never even tried it. The previous owner told me it did not work and I accepted it. I will try to stick it in when I get back to the car.
Originally Posted by TheAzn
Have Sewell cut you a spare key cut from the VIN. Master key, not valet. $60, worth a try.
I'm gonna try it. I'm tempted to get the remote one but it's a bigger risk
Between the master and valet key, not sure if the slots along the blade is different, but at the very tip of the key blade, the master key has it sharpened to like a flat blade while a valet key is not (at least what I noticed on the pictures)

You should be able to move the lock cylinders to another panel.

Awesome, Thank you!

The driver door lock could be worn out, as well. Locksmiths may be able to do something there.
I will look into that next week for sure.
Thank You Both!!
Old 02-23-13, 05:32 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

My usual process for replacement is to buy the blank keyblade with the lexus shell on ebay they are $10-20. There are 2 kinds a long blade and a short blade. I think most SC's are long blade, at least my 95 is. the shorter ones I know they use on rx300s, the kind with the 3 buttons.
Then I just take that blank over to Lexus and my other master key, and they can copy it for you on the spot its about $60.
Then you just swap out the transmitter from the broken key.

you are lucky you have the transmitter, thats the most important part. And they can cut the key for you if you don't have the master it will just take longer and may be a charge for that, but you will have a working master, and you may want to make 2 so it doesn't happen again.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-23-13 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-23-13, 06:10 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Question

My usual process for replacement is to buy the blank keyblade with the lexus shell on ebay they are $10-20. There are 2 kinds a long blade and a short blade. I think most SC's are long blade, at least my 95 is. the shorter ones I know they use on rx300s, the kind with the 3 buttons.
Then I just take that blank over to Lexus and my other master key, and they can copy it for you on the spot its about $60.
Then you just swap out the transmitter from the broken key.

you are lucky you have the transmitter, thats the most important part. And they can cut the key for you if you don't have the master it will just take longer and may be a charge for that, but you will have a working master, and you may want to make 2 so it doesn't happen again.
Thanks Ali!
I'm lost on what blank keys on ebay to buy. I want the right blank for a 95' Sc400 with one remote button. Any idea which one I need? (Long, short, 3 button, 1 button, etc.)
I see more 3 button than 1 button keys. Can I add trunk release somehow if I get the 3 button key or do I need to stick with the 1 button key?

Thanks Again.
Old 02-24-13, 09:45 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

You want the long blade 1 key button for a 95 sc300. It should be the same number of buttons as the original.
you can switch to the 3 button found on newer models, but certain things will have to be swapped out of a newer one I dont know the parts list on that one but I would guess all the ecu's for the remote and then run the wiring to the trunk windows etc.. it prob isnt on the older harness.

I would just get the stock key working again and use a key to open the trunk, its easy when you have the master lol.
I searched and did see they are harder to find on ebay then the 3 button kind. i thought I found one turns out not to be a remote key.
maybe open yours up and see if you can replace the blade part since it may have been done before, then you can just get the long blade keys and swap the blank onto yours and get it cut. search for Lexus "Key Blank 1990 to 97 Long Blade" it looks like the right one but the button looks a little too low and he says its not a remote key, but what else would that button be there for I am a little stumped on this one, but if you get it you may have enough parts to come up with a working key.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-24-13 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-24-13, 10:32 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

You want the long blade 1 key button for a 95 sc300. It should be the same number of buttons as the original.
you can switch to the 3 button found on newer models, but certain things will have to be swapped out of a newer one I dont know the parts list on that one but I would guess all the ecu's for the remote and then run the wiring to the trunk windows etc.. it prob isnt on the older harness.

I would just get the stock key working again and use a key to open the trunk, its easy when you have the master lol.
I searched and did see they are harder to find on ebay then the 3 button kind. i thought I found one turns out not to be a remote key.
maybe open yours up and see if you can replace the blade part since it may have been done before, then you can just get the long blade keys and swap the blank onto yours and get it cut. search for Lexus "Key Blank 1990 to 97 Long Blade" it looks like the right one but the button looks a little too low and he says its not a remote key, but what else would that button be there for I am a little stumped on this one, but if you get it you may have enough parts to come up with a working key.
WOW!
I'll order those blades this week.
Thanks Ali!
Be glad I am not your neighbor. I'd never leave you alone!

PS: My panel inside the car DOES unlock the trunk, just no key for the trunk or key for the trunk lockout on the panel inside the car.
Old 02-24-13, 11:08 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah my valet key won't turn those 2 either, but the master key will open every lock in the car. hopefully when they cut you a master those 2 will work with the new master key. they should unless they have been replaced which is very unusual. Specifically tell them you want the master key cut, don't let them go back there and copy your valet key or you will be back at square 1. dont even let them go back with the old key just the blank.
you may want to call them up first and ask how to get a master key. If they have to order it you may have to get the blade etc. from them not really sure just call your local dealer and ask.